Ethernet Cable Installation

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to rjcataniajr
Default Ethernet Cable Installation

Looking for someone to install ethernet cable from den to living room. This must run either through the attic or under outside vinyl siding. Have the 100ft cable and accessories, just need someone to run the cable.
thank you
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

LouAnn, 352-360-1714. She and her hubby did both our homes.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage

You might consider this as another option - use house power lines.
Top five power line adapters: When Wi-Fi fails you - CNET

I have done this to use a laptop in my garage - works very well.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM

I did look into this but was told they must be on the same line for it to work, so this would not work for me as the two different rooms are on two different lines to fuse box.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcataniajr View Post
I did look into this but was told they must be on the same line for it to work, so this would not work for me as the two different rooms are on two different lines to fuse box.
When the internet was new, I was able to provide three separate houses a connection through powerline adapters. And I was contracted to utilize this tech in a Township office building where Wi-Fi was unacceptable due to the building architecture. So based on these successful experiences this is not true. I believe it has to do with common grounding, a leg. Should definitely work in your circumstances.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Take a look at you low voltage box, you may find that you already have cat 5 (ethernet) cable installed, that is what they used in out house for the telephones. So if you are NOT using the hardwired phones (ours are wireless), then all you need is someone to change the RY-11 to RJ-45 connectors, ans connect the wires correctly. You can have a patch panel installed in the low voltage box, and if you do not want or need a router, then use a straight through cable to patch the 2 room together.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Sage

Probably a better than even chance he doesn't have an RJ-11 jack in the living room. Relatively new homes, say last 5 years, have typically had RJ-11 jacks (back to the low-voltage panel) in the bedrooms and kitchen only. Curiously, we actually had 2 RJ-45s in one of the bedrooms, RJ-11 elsewhere. His mileage may vary depending on when is house was built and type of house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Take a look at you low voltage box, you may find that you already have cat 5 (ethernet) cable installed, that is what they used in out house for the telephones. So if you are NOT using the hardwired phones (ours are wireless), then all you need is someone to change the RY-11 to RJ-45 connectors, ans connect the wires correctly. You can have a patch panel installed in the low voltage box, and if you do not want or need a router, then use a straight through cable to patch the 2 room together.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Villagetinker,thanks for the comeback. I had my house (Camelia) built in 2004. At that time there were not any options for ethernet outlets. The only wired phone outlets I have are one in the den, one in the kitchen, and one in master room and guest bedroom. I am also aware that you can tap into the phone wiring and make a ethernet connection. Will probably sell my house and get another one with ethernet ready wiring ! ! ! Anyhow, also 60 years in PA. Use to live Springmount/Schwenksville/Harleysville area. Played golf at municipal golf course in Allentown and Macungie. So thanks again,Russ
Old 09-06-2018, 05:39 PM

you are correct biker1. I built my house (Camelia) in 2004, almost sounds like ancient times!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Sage

I was afraid of that. Too bad they don't run cat5 to every room, and multiple locations per room (for some rooms). During construction the cost is minimal.

Quote:
you are correct biker1. I built my house (Camelia) in 2004, almost sounds like ancient times!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Default Not true

Quote:
These will work in any room of your house. I use them too and they are great. Just make sure you plug them directly into a wall socket and not a power strip with surge surpression.
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, ethernet, run, siding, vinyl

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.