Family Choice Electrical Repair, Inc

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2019, 02:34 PM
Thumbs down Family Choice Electrical Repair, Inc

I installed a new light on our post in the yard. I did not install it properly, tripped breaker and decided to call a professional. Looked in the yellow pages and saw an ad with a fish sign for an electrician and assumed they were religious and trustworthy. They came out, I had taken the top off the light, so all they had to do was rewire it. They did that quickly and very well. Then they looked at the breaker box. They noted that the 2 combination arc fault circuit breakers were outdated and stated they could be a fire hazard. They were 2 -15 amp breakers. They replaced them and I paid the bill (Christian company I thought). I later went to ACE hardware for some things and looked at the exact breakers and they were $49.52 each ($53 with tax). My bill from Family was $389.00 (parts at $106 and labor $292). I felt that the bill was high. I called the owner, he stated that he has to pay for good electricians, material, advertising, and overhead. He could not do anything for me. Bottom line - stay clear of Family's Choice Electrical Repair, Inc.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

That's Shocking! Your lamp post should be on a GFI breaker not an arc fault
Sure you didn't call a plumber sounds like you got hosed
Old 11-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
I installed a new light on our post in the yard. I did not install it properly, tripped breaker and decided to call a professional. Looked in the yellow pages and saw an ad with a fish sign for an electrician and assumed they were religious and trustworthy. They came out, I had taken the top off the light, so all they had to do was rewire it. They did that quickly and very well. Then they looked at the breaker box. They noted that the 2 combination arc fault circuit breakers were outdated and stated they could be a fire hazard. They were 2 -15 amp breakers. They replaced them and I paid the bill (Christian company I thought). I later went to ACE hardware for some things and looked at the exact breakers and they were $49.52 each ($53 with tax). My bill from Family was $389.00 (parts at $106 and labor $292). I felt that the bill was high. I called the owner, he stated that he has to pay for good electricians, material, advertising, and overhead. He could not do anything for me. Bottom line - stay clear of Family's Choice Electrical Repair, Inc.
I don't understand your post. Why do you need two circuit breakers for one lamppost? If two breakers are out of date, aren't all of the breakers in the panel also out of date? The total charge seems a little high, but you are assuming that the electrician will charge you the same price for materials as ACE Hardware, which is not the way it works. I would expect an electrician to charge more than retail price for materials because they need to maintain a full supply of materials available on their truck to perform most projects. Also, they are adding a profit to the job. So, you should expect to pay a premium price for materials for the convenience and expense of having them on hand. There is also travel time and expenses to and from your house.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Color me confused. You went to Ace and saw the part you needed at $53 each. And you were sold two of them which Ace would sell you for a total of 106 if my math is still good. And you are complaining that you were charged a total of 106 for parts. Now I don't know if you needed the parts, but it sure doesn't sound like you were overcharged for them
Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Color me confused. You went to Ace and saw the part you needed at $53 each. And you were sold two of them which Ace would sell you for a total of 106 if my math is still good. And you are complaining that you were charged a total of 106 for parts. Now I don't know if you needed the parts, but it sure doesn't sound like you were overcharged for them
I'm confused also! OP also said - "My bill from Family was $389.00 (parts at $106 and labor $292)."

If my math is still good - isn't $106 plus $292 = $398
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
Your answer is highlighted above. "Professional" equals cost. But, for electrical and plumbing work, going with someone who will stand behind their work is well worth the higher cost.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

For what it's worth, the company cited by the OP has five, 5-star reviews on Google, and an A plus rating with BBB, with no BBB complaints.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
That's Shocking! Your lamp post should be on a GFI breaker not an arc fault
Sure you didn't call a plumber sounds like you got hosed
My lamp post is also on an arc-fault breaker - house built in 2011. The circuit happens to be labeled General Lighting.

I learned this from the Lenhart electrician who came to troubleshoot a problem I had with that circuit frequently tripping. The problem was caused by a defective light sensor on the lamp post. Many mornings when it tuned the bulb off, an arc caused the arc-fault breaker to trip. He replaced the light sensor and the problem never happened again.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I think there is a misunderstanding here, Post lights should be on a GFCI (Ground Fault Breaker), while bedrooms, living rooms, dens, should be on AFCI (Arc fault breakers), there is a difference, and these are NOT interchangeable.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM

The price sounds right to me. I see a lot of posts on here about people not happy with what there paying a PROFESSIONAL to do there work for them. The price of any part is marked up, the price for labor has to not only cover overhead but also make the company some money so they can grow and continue training employees that have high skill levels. You are paying for their expertise and ability to do the job correctly, plus your paying for them to stand behind the job they did and the work they performed. If you don't want to pay, then do the research yourself and do the job yourself, then fingers crossed you did it right.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
For what it's worth, the company cited by the OP has five, 5-star reviews on Google, and an A plus rating with BBB, with no BBB complaints.
Good research, thank you.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
My lamp post is also on an arc-fault breaker - house built in 2011. The circuit happens to be labeled General Lighting.

I learned this from the Lenhart electrician who came to troubleshoot a problem I had with that circuit frequently tripping. The problem was caused by a defective light sensor on the lamp post. Many mornings when it tuned the bulb off, an arc caused the arc-fault breaker to trip. He replaced the light sensor and the problem never happened again.
You maybe right I'll bet the GFI outlet just out side your door feeds the Lamp post

Tags
looked, bill, breakers, breaker, family

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.