Fan Light Conversion Kits For New Homes

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Default Fan Light Conversion Kits For New Homes

We are just about to close on a new Home and I have noticed that virtually all the new homes in The Villages have the same generic fans throughout the interior and exterior of the homes but none of the fans come with a light attached to the bottom of the fan.

Any suggestions / advice on which fan light conversion kits to purchase to supplement the fans already supplied with the homes in order to add light to each room?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
We are just about to close on a new Home and I have noticed that virtually all the new homes in The Villages have the same generic fans throughout the interior and exterior of the homes but none of the fans come with a light attached to the bottom of the fan.

Any suggestions / advice on which fan light conversion kits to purchase to supplement the fans already supplied with the homes in order to add light to each room?
We used Pike Electric. They added the light kits and also replaced the wall switch in the MBR with a dimmer sw. Very satisified.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Default Kichler Fan Lights

The fans are manufactured by Kichler. We bought lights for all our fans at Besco Lighting located at 711 S 14th Street (Rt. 27) in Leesburg, FL. Their phone number is 352-787-4542.

The ones we bought were $81.50, but they have other styles up to $250.00. My husband installed them all in about an hour. The cap on the fan assembly pops off and you connect one wire in the fan to the light and reattach it to the fan. Easy Peasy!!!

You can buy generic fan lights at Lowe's & Home Depot, but they might not be compatible with the Kichler fans or install as easily.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:29 PM

We purchased a light kit from Amazon. Minka-Aire - $40.99. My husband installed it.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Default Kichler Light Kit 338151MUL

I bought 5 Kichler light kits (338151MUL) from "Lighting New York" online which was the best deal I found at the time with discounts and coupon code. Wanted the brightest ones available. This model comes with 3 compact flourescent bulbs, but I used LED's instead. Very happy with them.

Also installed combination wall dimmer/ fan speed switch to operate them. Bought switches at Home Depot.

338151 - Search at Lighting New York
Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

There is a red wire tucked into the electrical box where each fan switch is located. This is the hot wire for the light circuit on the fan. It may or may not be wired at the fan end depending on the electrician who did the work, you’ll need to check it. Replace the fan switch with a dual function switch. All very easy to do and an electrician isn’t required.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Home Depot & Lowes have kits the will work.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Take a look at your fans, remove the very bottom plate, you should see a connector with a white and a blue wire, this is the connection for the light kit. Then as noted above, go to Lowe;s or Home depot and make sure the light unit has a MATCHING connector. Follow the instructions on the light kit to complete the install. I also agree with the previous comment regarding the RED wire. There are a couple of versions of 2 switch modules, I have seen different ones at Ace, Lowe's and Home Depot, pick the one you like. Now VERY IMPORTANT, if you do not know what you are doing STOP, and call someone who does. You will end up with a HOT wire one the switch, and the black wire (fan) to one switch, and the RED wire (light) on the other switch. I chose to have the TOP switch for the fan and the bottom switch for the fan as this is the way these are positioned on the fan unit.
Hope this helps, send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

We found solar tubes to be very helpful in bringing natural light into our homes we purchased in Florida. We rarely used our lights in the fan, and in our last house didn’t install any fan lights. But to each his own.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Also, one additional word of caution, before you work on the cieling fan, TURN OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER, I was helping a neighbor, and much to my surprise, the RED wire had been connected to the HOT (Black) wire in the switch box, we found this out when it moved and touched the frame of the ceiling fan, after which the breaker tripped.....I was working on the assumption the RED wire was not connected, I now double check every wire....
Old 04-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-30-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, light, fan, fans, conversion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.