Fiber Optics

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Default Fiber Optics

I have had Century Link install internet at my home and we agreed upon a fiber optics package with phone. The installation of the equipment on the side of the house includes an exposed cord running from one of the boxes to an outdoor receptacle. The cover is pulled back as is necessary and the plug is inserted and then covered by what looks like a waterproof gel over the receptacle and plug. A tag on the cord identifies it as the internet and phone cord and says not to remove it. This is exposed to weather and animals, specifically squirrels, which even try to eat the vent pipes on my roof! This does not strike me as a correctly installed piece of equipment.
Would anyone with Century Link service who has fiber optics please let me know their opinions and possibly describe their installation. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage

From my experience, you get fiber to the box on the outside wall, and from that point to the phone it's cat-5 copper.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:31 AM

When my install with Century links was done 6 years ago fiber was at the (EBN) outside box then installer ran fiber pig tail ( I was surprised) to the modem . None of my Cat 5( and I have Voice ,TV & Internet) are used for there service.I know alittle about this since I did this type of work for 41 years...

Last edited by SKIMAN; 07-01-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

FrogFolly, why not just call CenturyLink directly and ask about the installation and your concerns, which I think are valid. I saw installations at a couple of neighbors, and I do not recall seeing as AC powered equipment outside the house, the fiber optic modem was located in the low voltage cabinet in the garage, and the fiber was brought into the garage. If this was done recently, maybe this was due to the virus. I had to help a neighbor because Comcast would not go into the house to install equipment at the televisions, so maybe CL installed this way to avoid going into the garage as much as possible.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:25 AM

I had this done a year ago. The technician should have mentioned to you that the line will be buried. It takes a few weeks but they will do it.
I did call at the 4 week mark to remind them and it was done the next week. This crew works out of Orlando, at least last year they did.
The service is great BTW, never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfolly View Post
I have had Century Link install internet at my home and we agreed upon a fiber optics package with phone. The installation of the equipment on the side of the house includes an exposed cord running from one of the boxes to an outdoor receptacle. The cover is pulled back as is necessary and the plug is inserted and then covered by what looks like a waterproof gel over the receptacle and plug. A tag on the cord identifies it as the internet and phone cord and says not to remove it. This is exposed to weather and animals, specifically squirrels, which even try to eat the vent pipes on my roof! This does not strike me as a correctly installed piece of equipment.
Would anyone with Century Link service who has fiber optics please let me know their opinions and possibly describe their installation. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage

Our CenturyLink fiber install has the fiber optic cable coming out of the ground through a pipe into the ONT box on the side of the house. There are a couple of loops of wire below and outside of the ONT. Cat5 cable goes through the outside wall from the ONT into the low voltage panel where it is connected to a cat5 home run to the room where we have our wireless router. A UPS was originally installed in the low voltage panel but has subsequently been disabled by CenturyLink. No issues and it has been 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfolly View Post
Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Our CenturyLink fiber install has the fiber optic cable coming out of the ground through a pipe into the ONT box on the side of the house. There are a couple of loops of wire below and outside of the ONT. Cat5 cable goes through the outside wall from the ONT into the low voltage panel where it is connected to a cat5 home run to the room where we have our wireless router. A UPS was originally installed in the low voltage panel but has subsequently been disabled by CenturyLink. No issues and it has been 6 years.
We had our CenturyLink fiber installed 3 weeks ago. It was installed the same way you described.

Just to add some additional info...... The Tech had to install their router per company policy. The next day, I printed a prepaid return label and shipped back their router. I called Customer Service the next day with the tracking number and she credited the $10 lease and deleted it from the account. I am using my new Netgear Nighthawk instead.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 AM

Yes, of course calling Century Link would be preferable, but they are unresponsive.
Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:10 AM

I am concerned about what looks like a regular extension cord looking plug connected to receptacle outside.
It sounds as if this is not the done thing.
Thanks for your reply.
Closed Thread

Tags
fiber, optics, cord, plug, equipment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.