FINALLY found a negative about TV -AT&T Cellular Reception

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default FINALLY found a negative about TV -AT&T Cellular Reception

I just returned from my trip to TV to start the build process of my Iris. Closing will be 8/31. Wow!

There isn't enough room in this forum to tell you all the wonderful things I've experienced in TV. There are hundreds and hundreds of positive remarks I could make about TV. I've been looking for a negative......and after this trip, I found it! It's AT&T cellular reception and coverage in TV. I had a VERY difficult time with the AT&T coverage....often it would go out on me if I got it. Coverage was the worse I've ever experienced.

I did hear from many others while I was down there that they have the same problem. How about it if all of you with AT&T contact them and ask for a new cell tower close to or in TV? I live in a booming area in WNY and when the people in our area bombarded AT&T for requests to put a new tower in, they sure put one up pronto.

That's my only negative up to this point. TV........a wonderful place to live. I'm so fortunate.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Seems to me that it is not fair to say this is a negative about The Villages. Definitely a negative for AT&T as there are plenty of cell towers around for AT&T to rent space on to improve their performance in the area.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

we live in the historic district and our at&t service is just fine - both inside and outside of the house!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Sage

I spoke with AT&T about the weak cell phone reception we get when we're in Duval. Apparently, there are towers in Wildwood, to the east along 27/441, and to the north on up 27/441. So there seems to be a gap along 466A that I'd guess will be addressed with the evolution of more homes being built to the south.

But in the meantime, I agree with swimdawg as we experience the same issues as well. My understanding is that there's an AT&T/Cingular business/corp office (not one of the stores) of some sort in Lake Mary which is responsible for (or at least knowledgeable of) where upcoming cell tower sites will be and when they might come on-line. I have no other info than that at this point...........but it's on my lengthy to-do list to pursue it at some point to see what I can find out.

Bill
Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 PM

We are newbie frogs in buttonwood with a son in college who needs to be able to reach us if necessary....I was concerned enough to go to the AT&T store up on 27 and was told that it was the villages that prohibited them from putting a tower out in the new section... they have since reconsidered and there will be one up by the end of this year....they do have some kind of a booster thing that goes thru your Internet to give better coverage but it is $200 to buy one...bottom line, if you can hang in there, help is on the way...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

Verizon
Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Verizon
for sure! Have NEVER had any problems using their service!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have had AT&T for the past 4 years and do not have a problem. My spouse has Verizon and we will have minor issues with that, but overall both work fine. I have to believe the phone is a big component of who has problems.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Platinum member

Location, location, location. I have never had a problem with AT&T reception but a lot depends on where one is within The Villages. Choose a service that works in your location.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Gold member

we have att. wife has a motorola and always has a signal. my samsung not so good. so your phone has a lot to do with your success.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
we have att. wife has a motorola and always has a signal. my samsung not so good. so your phone has a lot to do with your success.
Here's the deal. I have the latest iPhone. I have used it from coast to coast...Calif to NY.......Kansas City.....Carolina's, etc. I have NEVER had a problem with reception.......until using it in TV. So it isn't the phone. When I was in TV the past 5 days, reception was just terrible. I was trying to use the cell phone, text, e-mail, etc. and the bars on the top of the iPhone came in very weak.....perhaps one or two bars showing poor cell reception..and sometimes no bars were showing. I had a friend who I was trying to reach and she was trying to reach me during that heavy rain storm on Monday. We were down in the LSL Square area and neither one of us could connect via AT&T. While mentioning it various residents who have AT&T, they ALL complained of poor reception in certain areas of TV. Even the sales reps said that AT&T reception depends on the area you are in. The sales reps all have AT&T iPads...& they have periodic problems with reception. I have never experienced this poor reception before....in any part of our wonderful country and in Canada as well....and I've been a customer of AT&T for MANY years. My purpose for writing about this AT&T situation is to try to get as many residents as possible to call AT&T and wake them up to the fact that they need to build a new tower in TV area. Hopefully, you AT&T customers will give them a nudge......and voila....we'll get a new AT&T cell tower in TV! Can't hurt.......might help.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Here's the deal. I have the latest iPhone. I have used it from coast to coast...Calif to NY.......Kansas City.....Carolina's, etc. I have NEVER had a problem with reception.......until using it in TV. So it isn't the phone. When I was in TV the past 5 days, reception was just terrible. I was trying to use the cell phone, text, e-mail, etc. and the bars on the top of the iPhone came in very weak.....perhaps one or two bars showing poor cell reception..and sometimes no bars were showing. I had a friend who I was trying to reach and she was trying to reach me during that heavy rain storm on Monday. We were down in the LSL Square area and neither one of us could connect via AT&T. While mentioning it various residents who have AT&T, they ALL complained of poor reception in certain areas of TV. Even the sales reps said that AT&T reception depends on the area you are in. The sales reps all have AT&T iPads...& they have periodic problems with reception. I have never experienced this poor reception before....in any part of our wonderful country and in Canada as well....and I've been a customer of AT&T for MANY years. My purpose for writing about this AT&T situation is to try to get as many residents as possible to call AT&T and wake them up to the fact that they need to build a new tower in TV area. Hopefully, you AT&T customers will give them a nudge......and voila....we'll get a new AT&T cell tower in TV! Can't hurt.......might help.
Dearest Miss Dawg,

I agree with you as I always do. Sweetie has to walk outside in Hadley and conduct phone business as he is still working. I have sit, sat, sitted on the lanai in the cold to talk to my grandchildren at times. This is all hocus pocus to me. Sweetie says they fiddled with his phone, no help. Mine is an old phone, I use a chisel and carve in the numbers so it could be the equipment. I think whereas everyone else in the family have smart phones, mine is dumb.

I think we need for ATT@T to rent space or build a tower and someone is going to find the email address of the foot we need to stand on and publish it here and we will overwhelm them with SENIOR POWER. It has to be someone real south in TV who is affected like we are..........

Someone?

I am really busy right now. Will tell you about it later.

Gracie.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Sage
Default Towers = Reception Ability

I wouldn't say this is a negative for TV but a negative for AT&T's coverage network.

Many years ago, I had my service with Sprint and I could not get or make a phone call along the Merritt Parkway in CT. I couldn't make or receive a phone call from my home. I found out that Sprint did not have any towers along the parkway as the towns would not allow them to construct them.

I switched to Verizon, problem solve. As everyone knows, the reception is directly proportional to how many towers populate the area and a newer phone helps if one's old phone is really outdated.

Best wishes on getting a tower that will increase reception capabiity.

Last edited by 2BNTV; 06-16-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Go with Verizon....excellent coverage everywhere in TV. There are many BAD spots in TV for AT&T coverage. Two years ago the folks at the AT&T retail store said they had no complaints and that servive was excellent in all areas of TV...not true. They do not have good cell coverage in many areas south of 466. In fact, we were in contact with the engineers regarding our coverage in Pennecamp and after a 30 day study they said our signal was weak because of the AT&T tower was too far away...so we went with Verizon and perfect service. This was after being an AT&T customer for 12 years.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Gold member

Last year we were also having problems with AT&T service in the Pennecamp area. Dropped calls, no calls, calls cutting out. Very frustrating. Switched to Verizon and it was a little better but did have some problems in the house at times. Bought a booster for the Verizon and it's great now. No problems.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.