ductless ac unit for enclosed Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Default ductless ac unit for enclosed Lanai

Did not want to hi jack the enclosed lanai thread. We have an enclosed lanai and extended the duct work from the main house to the enclosed lanai, we also added window film to all the glass to cut down on the heat and uv rays which has has helped but with all the glass it is always 3-4 degrees warmer then the main house and I'm sure it will be cooler then the main living areas in the winter. The room is approx 11' x 20', could anyone give me a budgetary cost of adding a ductless ac unit and the manufacturer/installer that you used and if you are happy wit the result.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 PM

bump,

could anyone help with my question, if you do not want to share on TOTV please send me a PM.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 05:49 PM

I have looked at a unit called Mr. Slim made by Mitsibitic (sp???). You can google Mr. Slim. Price for unit and installation was about $3600.

I decided against it. My AC is 7 years old and when it needs to be replaced I will buy a larger unit to handle the extra space. My wife made drapes from black out material with a sheer panel in front. We close panels of drapes as needed to keep out the sun and find the room very comfortable with just the sliders open from our house.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

I have looked online and found websites that will sell these units directly to the public. If you are knowledgeable about such things, they are really not that difficult to install yourself.
Of course, you need to run a 220 electrical line, drill about a 3" hole in the wall, set the condensing unit on a pad and attach the lineset. The units come precharged, and the lineset kits are made in such a way so one does not have to deal with brazing, etc. The instructions are easy to follow and clear.

A nice 20 seer unit that also heats in the winter, (a heat pump/A/C unit) goes for about $1000.00 delivered. I was told by a local A/C company that these units are considered "dehumidifiers so they do not fall into the same category as a normal split system.

Of course, if you had a local A/C company install one of these for you the cost would be around $3,000.

I do NOT expect just anyone to be able to install one of these....but a person skilled in electrical, etc, and if they are comfortable with a project such as this could save thousands doing one day of work.

One of the many sites are www.acwholesalers.com There you will find helpful videos, etc to assist any DIY'er. If people couldn't do it themselves they would not be in business, so they make sure they are DIY friendly. They have all of the most respected brands, like Mitsubishi, LG, etc.

Frank

Last edited by faithfulfrank; 07-25-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added website
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Thanks to Coach and Faithfulfrank,

I'm am not handy enough to do the work required to install it myself. I will get local price to install but I think you are in the ballpark with the 3,000 to 3,600. I was hoping it would be less then 2,500.00.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
I have looked at a unit called Mr. Slim made by Mitsibitic (sp???). You can google Mr. Slim. Price for unit and installation was about $3600. .........
FWIW - My sister and brother-in-law had one of these Mitsubishi Mr. Slim units installed to handle about 200-225 sq.ft. of living space. I can't give you any specifics (price, model, etc.) but I DO know it works great....and it's in central FL as well. They seem very pleased with it. We stayed at their place for a few days about a year ago and used the conditioned area during hot weather - stayed nice and cool. Kept the humidity down as well. They got a wireless remote control for the unit that's pretty neat. When they're not there, I believe they can program it to keep the humidity below a specific set-point also.

Bill
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Go to the Mitsubishi website. They have 4 or 5 companies that they certify. I believe one is in Fruitland Park.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Gold member

We have over 550 sq. ft with 12 ft ceilings and glass on all three sides. We added a mini-split system from Mitsubishi and it works great - very quiet and powerful enough to store meat if we wanted to. We paid $4400 but a smaller unit would be less. Shop around since some companies (e.g. Sunshine) wanted $7000 for the job. Our contractor was Tony Forbes who I would recommend.

Last edited by NJblue; 07-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Search for portable AC's. Should be less than $500. They vent like a dryer.
Try http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...0053&langId=-1
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.