Fixing Truss

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Another good example of poor workmanship and/or ?able inspections in TV. I cringe every-time someone comes out to do work on my house. Had a ceiling fan moved. Per my electrician, installer mounted ceiling fan box on the drywall and roof truss was inches away.
Me too, I hate having to pay someone who can’t or won’t do job better than I can due to certification.

When person can’t do job or has no skills/knowledge they don’t know whether job done right. At the mercy of person/company doing job. Most of us are pigeons to contractors quick bucks at overinflated prices throw it together and leave. On to next pigeon. I find it funny how states require all the certifications and still get inferior out of code workmanship, they must pass them out like drivers learner permits.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:33 PM

Agreed. use a 2x4 on each side. A lot of times they just use a good 3 1/2 inch construction screw from both sides. torx work the best. I really like these for this kind of repair. Yes my son is a carpenter, and I and my son work a farm. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Fast...301878318-_-N&
Old 07-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Loosen the screws on the original patch that are all the way through the truss so another 2X4 on the opposite side can be installed, re-tighten the old screws to hold the new 2X4 in place, then put a bunch of screws in the new one. After hurricane Elsa hits, it will be the one part of the roof that will still be together. lol
Old 07-04-2021, 04:57 AM

First off, even though the inspection was 5 years ago I would contact the inspection company and let them know what you found and they did not!!!
Second what idiot did that repair. Lag bolts and a 2x4 just on 1 side??? I agree with placing a new 2x4 on both sides same length as original 2x4 and drill holes and use 1/4” x 6” hex head bolts with fender washers on both sides and lock washers and nuts but don’t over tighten the nuts. Good luck👍
Old 07-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage

Smart money would take a couple of photos showing the damage, and stop in at the truss plant on rolling acres road. They engineered and manufactured the trusses on all the village homes. They will offer the CORRECT remedy. From personal experience, none of the remedies offered on this thread are correct.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:42 PM
Default Thanks & Conclusion

Okay, just to close this thread for you - went by the truss place. it's a 10-year "guarantee" deal, so anything over 10 years - good luck. Second, had a carpenter and inspector look at it - the official word from both was "we see this all the time in TV - they get damaged by the crane, on the ground, etc. Perfectly normal to see 1-4 of them with scabbed boards on them. 2 is better than 1 (thanks to all who suggested that); so, put another 2x4 on the other side. Inspector "would never have mentioned it because this is more common than you think, and the scabbed board is the fix". So, thanks for the input, and now you know. More or less. IJ
Old 07-09-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage

And if I saw a patched truss in the attic of a home I was considering, I would ask to see the stamped engineers drawing describing the fix.

Tags
scabbed, 2x4, truss, years, inspection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.