Fixing Truss

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2021, 03:08 PM
Default Fixing Truss

We've lived here 5 years - I just finally retired. Got up in the attic to start cleaning stuff out, found this. Truss is completely split - you can see the remaining shards, and apparently they scabbed on a 4' piece of 2x4 (yep, that's the length of the scabbed board). Obviously this was missed on inspection (had what I thought was a thorough inspection, plus 2 different roof inspections). House is 16 years young. Questions"
1) Is this okay?
2) Okay to scab a second 10' 2x4 onto the other side and lag bolt them together?
3) Or should I call a structural engineer to take a look?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Truss2_July.jpg
Views:	6674
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	90013  
Old 07-02-2021, 03:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

It is common to see this type of job site repair. While irritating the repair will support your roof. Since it bothers you please add another 2X4. I would use glue and carriage bolts through all 2X4s creating a superior clamping, vice lag bolts.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones View Post
We've lived here 5 years - I just finally retired. Got up in the attic to start cleaning stuff out, found this. Truss is completely split - you can see the remaining shards, and apparently they scabbed on a 4' piece of 2x4 (yep, that's the length of the scabbed board). Obviously this was missed on inspection (had what I thought was a thorough inspection, plus 2 different roof inspections). House is 16 years young. Questions"
1) Is this okay?
2) Okay to scab a second 10' 2x4 onto the other side and lag bolt them together?

With all due respect, why would you trust/depend on any replies you might get on this site. You're going to get a lot of replies, but my suggestion would be hiring a licensed contractor to get an opinion. You might also reach out to Frank, who is an expert in this area HOME | dangeloinspections
Old 07-02-2021, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
With all due respect, why would you trust/depend on any replies you might get on this site. /url]
I dunno, there are a lot of retired folks that were in construction or are engineers.

I certainly wouldn't use random Joe contractor just because someone on TOTV suggested it.

As was suggested above collar ties connecting both rafters to the king post with 3/8th or bigger carriage bolts would be sufficient. If you used 2x6s you would surpass the load bearing capacity of the original 2x4 web in the truss.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
1) Is this okay?

It is very common to have trusses made from 2x4s to be damaged during construction. They are often damaged when a crane sets them into place. The routine repair is to attach a 2x4 on both sides of the damaged board and to bolt them together. It is called "sistering" the truss member. You can do it yourself or hire a carpenter do it for you. But, you don't need a structural engineer.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I dunno, there are a lot of retired folks that were in construction or are engineers.

I certainly wouldn't use random Joe contractor just because someone on TOTV suggested it.

As was suggested above collar ties connecting both rafters to the king post with 3/8th or bigger carriage bolts would be sufficient. If you used 2x6s you would surpass the load bearing capacity of the original 2x4 web in the truss.
Well there you go. You’ve solved it for them. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
1) Is this okay?

The houses typically have a structural warranty, NOT sure if this would be covered, but I would call home warranty 352-753-6222 and ask them. You can also ask for the original truss installer and contact them about a repair.
Hope this helps.
PS if the above fails, I would add two 2 by 4's, glued to each side of the damaged board with 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch bolts and washers to hold the new boards to the original board. Full disclosure I am NOT a structural engineer, I was an electrical engineer.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post

The inspector he recommended is known throughout the Villages. DeAngelo is one of the best in the area, licensed, insured, and they spend a pretty fair chunk on advertising all over the place. They're not unknown or some random Joe Contractor (I wouldn't hire one of those either).
Old 07-03-2021, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

After 16 years ? Must be working .
Old 07-03-2021, 06:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
1) Is this okay?

I see nails or screws penetrating that broken 2x4 coming from the other side that isn’t pictured
If there is something attached to the other side then just attach a 2x4 to the pictured side. Try to cut it to fit the top and go all the way to the bottom. Also take a hammer and tighten up the truss plates on the top before adding 2x4. If you want to bolt it you can but you would only be drawing attention to it. I would use 3” wood screws. That is yellow pine by the way if you want it to match. Wouldn’t hurt to grind off the points of those penetrating nails first to make it easier. Pick a cool morning for the job. Yes I have tons of experience building with trusses and I don’t mean watching someone else do the work. That is one reason my back is trash now
Old 07-03-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
It is common to see this type of job site repair. While irritating the repair will support your roof. Since it bothers you please add another 2X4. I would use glue and carriage bolts through all 2X4s creating a superior clamping, vice lag bolts.
correct
Old 07-03-2021, 06:47 AM

Your Initial thoughts of consulting a engineer are correct. As a contractor that does structural repairs I can unequivocally tell you that a truss repair without a stamped engineer report means nothing. Please stop and do not proceed to keep drilling and adding un authorized holes and devices. You will absolutely need a report to re sell. Remove the damaged ridge pole and Install new fish plates and fix it correctly!
Old 07-03-2021, 06:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,302 Times in 560 Posts

Yup sister the 2x4s using carriage bolts ! That is the proper repair a Contractor will do! Do it yourself for under 50.00 or pay thousands! Wait till fall , when it's enjoyable up in the attic!
Old 07-03-2021, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
With all due respect, why would you trust/depend on any replies you might get on this site. You're going to get a lot of replies, but my suggestion would be hiring a licensed contractor to get an opinion. You might also reach out to Frank, who is an expert in this area HOME | dangeloinspections
Because this is a community board with retired construction and engineers…….so before he gets taken advantage of he reaches out to his neighbors…….like the good days before the internet. Remember the days your neighbors would have been there to help fix this.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

One thing you did not say is whether the roof is buckling or do you or do you see any thing else. Pretty sure you've gotten pretty good advice on getting good advice for your own peace of mind, get the guy recommended to come take a look and it's a few hundred bucks out of your pocket to get it fixed and inspected.
Closed Thread

Tags
scabbed, 2x4, truss, years, inspection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.