recondition aluminum window frames

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Platinum member
Default recondition aluminum window frames

Does anyone know someone who reconditions aluminum window frames? We are looking at an older home that has the silver colored aluminum frames that are quite rough, and my husband thinks that is a "deal breaker" unless they can be reconditioned to look much better.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,175 Posts

Aluminum is typically oxidized to form a very hard weather resistant coating. While this is quite good, it will eventually wear down to natural aluminum, which will tend to corrode. The above process is a chemical process, that as far as I know cannot be done at the house. There may be an option to paint the windows, but I have never had good luck with this.
My suggestion would be to get an estimate for replacement of the old aluminum windows with new windows (vinyl, aluminum, or wood) and then negotiate a revised price on the house. IMHO I would go for high quality vinyl (or vinyl over wood) double pane replacement windows. Also, depending on how handy you are this could be a do it yourself project.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for the reply. Neither my husband nor I want to tackle the job, so do it yourself is not an option.

He was afraid that replacing all the windows would be the answer, but wow, there are many windows, and the one in there now are double pane. I can live with the windows, but will he give?

Thanks again. Pat
Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

You can clean the aluminum with 000 steel wool. I would also use plastic safety goggles.
The Villages Florida
Old 08-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
You can clean the aluminum with 000 steel wool. I would also use plastic safety goggles.
The Villages Florida
TVMayor, I agree, lots of work, and the resulting aluminum is very soft and will corrode so at a minimum a protective coating is required. If OP desires to do this, I would suggest clear AUTOMOTIVE WHEEL spray paint. This is a very rough service paint that works well with aluminum, the brand I used was called Diamond Coat, not sure if it is available here. also, you gave me an idea, OP could do a minimal cleaning, and then use silver, or white AUTOMOTIVE WHEEL spray paint to coat the aluminum, this might work also.

Typical house paints, and spray paint do not seem to work as well as the automotive wheel paints.

Hope this helps.

Tags
aluminum, frames, window, deal, thinks, husband, breaker, reconditioned, rough, silver, reconditions, recondition, colored, home, older

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.