City Furniture AGAIN

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Angry City Furniture AGAIN

A short while ago there were many posts about City Furniture and most were negative. This concerned us because as new home buyers, my husband and I were trying to select furniture in a short period of time before returning to our home up north. To speed the process along (and to get much needed guidance) we paid $400 to City Furniture for the services of a "designer". After wasted weeks trying to get assistance from this "professional", a ridiculous "layout" (with nothing more than a rectangle for a table and squares for chairs), a mere scanned copy of pages from the manufacturers furniture catalog, and unreturned emails, I finally called the Lake Sumter store. Apparently the manager could not come to the phone but I was assured that I would get a call back in a couple of minutes -- it never came. The next day I called the store in Spanish Springs at 10 am and was "PROMISED" that I would get a return call in a couple of hours -- after a full day it too never came.
It is outrageous that we can't get anyone to return our phone calls BEFORE we buy an entire house full of furniture so I can just imagine how difficult it is to deal with them after the sale.
One thing I've learned since reading Talk of the Villages is that this is a community of people who speak up -- with good things to say and with warnings when necessary. Your warnings were right on target. Not only will we not buy an entire house full of furniture from City Furniture but I will dispute their $400 charge on our charge card and I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. We'll spend our money elsewhere and I hope others do as well. How do they stay in business???
Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

because they have so many newbies to suck in.............for now???
Old 11-05-2014, 07:59 PM

Not everyone has a bad experience with them. We very much like the furniture we purchased and will be buying more of the matching pieces in the future. The experience of the OP is indeed service to be complained about. Maybe we have just been lucky. Hope our luck hold out in the future.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:29 AM
Veteran member

I have a complete bedroom set on layaway with them for my January move. I am really hoping that I am one of the lucky ones and have a positive outcome with them. But, I am worried because of the many negative reviews.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 AM
Sage

We have had a couple of purchases from City Furniture and all went smoothly. Bought from each store and the associates were helpful, furniture was delivered promptly.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:14 AM

Write a review on YELP. After a negative experience, I did and received a concerned email from City Furniture with a promise to address the issue I had & promised retraining on that issue.

I still won't purchase from City Furniture, as the negative experiences seen to be wide range.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Also had a bad experience with them and will never buy there. I even took up the issue with their executive offices who also don't care and the VP of customer care would not return my calls or written complaints. Surprised they are still in business.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM

I have some friends who also had a very bad experience with City Furniture. They bought a leather reclining sofa for their home. The were told the item was out of stock here but that they would get it in within ten days. 3 months later they still did not have it and cancelled the order. Personally I purchased from Babette's in Leesburg and they were very good and did everything they said they would and delivered our items on time and very professional.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Try buying from Babbetts Furniture in Leesburg nice selection and good service
Old 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
Not everyone has a bad experience with them. We very much like the furniture we purchased and will be buying more of the matching pieces in the future. The experience of the OP is indeed service to be complained about. Maybe we have just been lucky. Hope our luck hold out in the future.
Don't wait too long to buy those pieces. City Furniture is the "Value City Furniture" of Florida. That matching furniture will go away. City Furniture, like most retailers of imported (China/Vietnam) furniture has no control over availability.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Platinum member

We have bought from City Furniture and Babbetts. Babbetts is the place to go!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Veteran member

Based on all of the negative experiences detailed here and else where, I am shocked they are still in business. Also amazed that there are still customers willing to endure their BS. I guess there really is 'one born every day'.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:23 AM
Default City Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodaneodwyer View Post
Write a review on YELP. After a negative experience, I did and received a concerned email from City Furniture with a promise to address the issue I had & promised retraining on that issue.

I still won't purchase from City Furniture, as the negative experiences seen to be wide range.
Good advice, but probably a waste of time. I too have had a really first-time horrible delivery experience with City Furniture. When reported to customer service, it was a "yeah, yeah" response. They seemingly could care less. I was even told by the delivery person that " VILLAGERS want what we have and they pretty much accept anything that happens." (imagine that...) So, my advice is if you're willing to do business with a company with such a poor customer service attitude, then go ahead and take your chances. I personally don't have to put up with wondering whether or not I am going to have a good or bad experience with them again because I will take my business elsewhere. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! Shop at your own risk...
Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Sage

I really don't understand, why people don't ask where the furniture is made? If you're moving from the northeast, stop in High Point, NC--the furniture capitol of the US. If its shipped out of state no sales tax-take a look @ Furniture Land South--the biggest furniture store in the world--if you want quality-this is the place to go
Old 11-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Platinum member

In my limited experience, I have found that the sales consultants at City Furniture are not nearly as knowledgeable or helpful as the group that used to work for Southern Lifestyles. The previous SL group seems to have left City Furniture, but they were true design consultants with great ideas for assisting with your home, while the City Furniture group, though pleasant, seem far less trained and more focused on making a sale.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.