Front yard light/what switch is it on in the breaker box

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2022, 09:38 AM
Default Front yard light/what switch is it on in the breaker box

We all have light posts in our front yard that is on a photo eye turning on at dusk and off in the am.......... What switch is this light hooked up to in my breaker box. I could not find it???
Old 05-16-2022, 10:18 AM

My panel has one breaker labeled for that. Sorry if yours doesn't. Old fashion way is to turn them off one at a time while someone watches the light. Modern way is to put a signal tracer in the light and use the detector to locate the correct breaker; but that equipment is not free.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:07 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Coach Lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnpd View Post
We all have light posts in our front yard that is on a photo eye turning on at dusk and off in the am.......... What switch is this light hooked up to in my breaker box. I could not find it???
I put Duct tape over the sensor causing the light to go on. Then went to breaker box and clicked breakers until the light went off. I pulled out the sensor and double checked the power using a cheap circuit tester. Then I proceeded to change my Coach Lamp. The breaker is usually at the bottom of the Breaker box with your sprinklers. Good Luck Len
Old 05-16-2022, 01:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Ours is labeled as the garage gfi circuit.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:21 PM

I just replaced my light post and light fixture. To my surprise it was on the kitchen outlet circuit.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
I just replaced my light post and light fixture. To my surprise it was on the kitchen outlet circuit.
Ours is on the living room circuit.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,105 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Ours is on the living room circuit.
Something sounds wrong here. The post light is supposed to be on a GFCI, and the living room will typically not have these. So just out of curiosity was the house always this way, or was this a resale that someone may have modified the wiring?
From a safety perspective be very careful around the post light, and do not use it for an outside outlet unless a GFCI is installed.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Something sounds wrong here. The post light is supposed to be on a GFCI, and the living room will typically not have these. So just out of curiosity was the house always this way, or was this a resale that someone may have modified the wiring?
From a safety perspective be very careful around the post light, and do not use it for an outside outlet unless a GFCI is installed.
We are original owners, and the yard light has always been on the living room circuit. I wasn't aware of it until a few years ago, my sensor needed replaced and at the same time moisture got into the pole from a cracked lens. My neighbor is a retired electrician who replaced the sensor and light fixture for me. His opinion was that whoever wired the house either forgot the light post, or showed up late when it would have been easy to wire it...so he/she took the easy route for them and wired it to a different breaker.
Closed Thread

Tags
front, switch, breaker, box, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.