Funeral Homes Offering Discounted Professional Rates ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Default Funeral Homes Offering Discounted Professional Rates ?

As my wife and I enter our next phase of life by purchasing our new home this week, I wanted to set aside some money to cover the cost for our final resting place. Unfortunately death will happen to each and one of us and as Villagers, death will most likely occur sooner than later as compared to the general public.
Any guidance on how much to set aside, cost for services, location of burial and if anyone knows if the local funeral homes / cemeteries offer discounted professional rates for those here currently living in at The Village?
Several online companies and I believe even Costco and BJ’S are offering heavily discounted caskets which can be purchased and possibly now and left in storage inside our garage until the need arrives.
I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks! Joe & Cristina
Old 04-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

If you are going to be cremated you can rent a casket. You won't have to worry about someone else's germs at that point.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

To me, it would be creepy having caskets in the garage. I think people live longer in TV, because it is stress free, and an abundance of MD's.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you are going to be cremated you can rent a casket. You won't have to worry about someone else's germs at that point.
They will even take you in a big cardboard box!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Funerals are for the living and they should decide what to do and how much to spend. So, I wouldn't set aside anything. Let your survivors decide what they want to do. Why worry about it? I think that prepaid funerals, caskets, cremations, etc.are a total ripoff.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Funerals are for the living and they should decide what to do and how much to spend. So, I wouldn't set aside anything. Let your survivors decide what they want to do. Why worry about it? I think that prepaid funerals, caskets, cremations, etc.are a total ripoff.
Exactly.
Just make it known what you would like done, then forget it.
Let the living take care of it.
One event in life one does not have to plan ahead to make happen.....it will happen....regardless _ ? _.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I'm covered, because I have a 20% off coupon...toward a full funeral.

The bad news is, that it only covers me and I have to present it...at the time of services.

The good news though, is that the requirement to be physically present to use the coupon...shouldn't be a problem.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Exactly.
Just make it known what you would like done, then forget it.
Let the living take care of it.
One event in life one does not have to plan ahead to make happen.....it will happen....regardless _ ? _.
We have done just that. Our daughters know what we want, and there will be funds for them to pay for it. We always say, don't pay a contractor up front, and this isnt any different, IMO.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 AM
Veteran member

I understand wanting to take some of the pressure off heirs during a stressful time for them.

I purchased a prepaid cremation from Baldwin Brothers and feel like it was a good deal. Did it all online. Mine was straightforward and inexpensive ($650) but they offer a full range of options. And if there's a problem I won't know about it. :-)

As others have said, the important thing is to make your wishes known to your executor(s) and, if necessary, make sure funds will be available to them for immediate use.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Cremate and save the land for the next generation.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
To me, it would be creepy having caskets in the garage. I think people live longer in TV, because it is stress free, and an abundance of MD's.
Very Creepy.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Default Not something some else should do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That’s Not something some else should do, if you’re going to be cremated or buried make the arrangements yourself the family or friends handling your burial will probably be grieving and don’t need to take care of your funeral.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
That’s Not something some else should do, if you’re going to be cremated or buried make the arrangements yourself the family or friends handling your burial will probably be grieving and don’t need to take care of your funeral.
I don't agree. You can state the type of burial you want in your will, and leave enough money in your estate for your executor to pay for it. But other than that, you don't need to do anything else. In my opinion, these prepaid cremations and funerals are a total waste of money.
Closed Thread

Tags
discounted, funeral, professional, death, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.