furniture store recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts
Default furniture store recommendations

we are in need of a quality furniture store that offers in-home decorating service to help us furnish our empty home. I searched throughout the contractors and advertisers here but found nothing. We went to Whites but they would only draw out where to put things and will not come to the house. We can't do this alone and referrals would be appreciated for either a store or an independent decorator service.

Thanks
Nick
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM

We had a good experience at Family Furniture. Janay took the time to listen and help us put things together.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Davidjr113

We were in same situation in October, had very good experience with Jerry at Babette's
Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 PM

Try Carlos st Babette's! The store has great quality products and Carlos is very knowledgeable!

Avoid City Furniture as you will be very unhappy. None of their sales reps really care about the customer - not even the managers!

You can see unhappy situations described about City Furniture everywhere. And I know a lot of people with horror stories about City Furniture!

Last edited by Ohhsusanna; 05-11-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Two words ran together on my phone typing
Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 AM

We agree with Babette's! Have seen many complaints about City Furniture.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 AM

City Furniture sells broken and rejects they recondition and sell as new. Avoid like the plague. Buy Thomasville, it lasts forever.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJohn View Post
We had a good experience at Family Furniture. Janay took the time to listen and help us put things together.
We have also used Family Furniture many times and were very happy with our designer, Pepsi, who went the extra mile to find me exactly what I wanted. Although many people love Babette's, I feel the service at Family Furniture is more personal.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Also very happy with Family Furniture. Debra pulled it all together for me.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Another vote for Debra at Family Furniture! She is wonderful!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM

If you're willing to venture as far as Ocala, we can recommend Mike at Hudson's Furniture and any of the reps at Koontz Furniture. Koontz is higher end.

Salespeople (who don't get paid for in-home consulting) are understandably reluctant to do it since the client might take their ideas and then shop around for the lowest priced alternatives. I would offer a design fee ($500-1,000) that is rebated against any purchases you make.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Babett's
Old 05-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Lazy boys policy is to come to your home for a free consultation, White simply chooses to not follow those guidelines. We just got back from Babettes, great store. Barb is meeting us at our home Wednesday morning. Our salesperson Kimberly was very patient with us and extremely helpful. Thank you all for your recommendations.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Gold member
Default Suggestion re: Furniture

We've had great experience with the Amish Furniture store
352 shopping center drive, wildwood-same shopping center as wildwood post office.

They have many samples on display and you can buy furniture from the floor but, you can special order that piece in a lighter or darker finish. You can order a table longer or shorter than standard. You can order the same piece in a different type of wood.

It is good quality, real wood furniture and just because it is made by Amish people they do have modern furniture such as entertainment centers etc.

RE: DECORATOR
We had a very bad experience. Hired one on a daily rate.
She never once asked or listened to what we wanted.
I asked for suggested drawings. Very easy to do if she had the proper computer program. Second time she came she presented a bunch of items she wanted to sell us. they were cheap painted plastic trash furniture that she had priced way more than retail price. I tried to explain again what we wanted she got all ****y. She was paid for a second day.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Your suggested design fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
If you're willing to venture as far as Ocala, we can recommend Mike at Hudson's Furniture and any of the reps at Koontz Furniture. Koontz is higher end.

Salespeople (who don't get paid for in-home consulting) are understandably reluctant to do it since the client might take their ideas and then shop around for the lowest priced alternatives. I would offer a design fee ($500-1,000) that is rebated against any purchases you make.
Sounds like a great idea are you aware of anyone offering that service?

Of course a decorator like anyone else needs to be paid.
Often times they get 20% from the retailer. The retailer can afford that because they typically double their cost and they do not then need to pay their own people to sell the merchandise.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Gold member
Default Important

Like any other purchase beware of anyone who demands full payment. For me 1/3 when you place the order 1/3 when it comes in and 1/3 when it is delivered is reasonable.

If, the seller insists on payment in full, RUN do not walk out of the store. What it means is the people he buys from refuse to advance him credit or he does not have enough financing to pay his bills.
Closed Thread

Tags
store, furniture, service, house, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.