Garage door maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm a do-it- yourself guy for many repairs but I would never attempt working on garage door springs. You can get badly hurt by those springs. Leave that repair to the pro's.
Agree, plus you need the right tool to do this job efficiently.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Ryan O'Cull. He is the man.... Called him yesterday and he was there in 20 minutes. I had called the installer, and they told me it would be a week.

Quick question? If one of the springs breaks, can you still get the door up. A few years ago one of my springs broke and I could not get the door up. Is there a trick to it. Thanks.

Last edited by bilcon; 10-09-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Mine broke and fell on the roof of my car as I was pulling in. Do NOT use ASAP Garage Doors. They are rude, didn't finish the job, and stole parts.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm a do-it- yourself guy for many repairs but I would never attempt working on garage door springs. You can get badly hurt by those springs. Leave that repair to the pro's.
I know what you're saying but the new doors that have springs on them you don't dare to let the tension slip while you're winding it & it could But the springs are only about $20. (unless you have 2 springs, it would be about $40.) I guess I'm to much of do it yourself person, anything you have done here in TV I think the so called pro's take advantage of us retirees & charge way to much. But yes you're probably right, if you're a little worried about getting hurt, it"s better than going to the hospital. Just my opinion. Thanks for your reply!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Default Thumbs up to Ryan O’Cull

Ryan of Garage Doors inc. fixed my springs yesterday. He was at my house within hours after I called him, replaced not only the springs but drive chain and belt. Friendly, courteous, and more than $100 cheaper than another company I called to just replace the springs. He’s got my vote!! Good job Ryan!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Ryan O'Cull. He is the man.... Called him yesterday and he was there in 20 minutes. I had called the installer, and they told me it would be a week.

Quick question? If one of the springs breaks, can you still get the door up. A few years ago one of my springs broke and I could not get the door up. Is there a trick to it. Thanks.

If the motor won't lift it then you have to put the manual cord hanging down to release the motor chain or screw. it will be heavy depending on what material it made out of, todays doors are light weight compared to doors of the 80s or earlier with panels made of particle boards.

I had several broken springs on two spring door and 3 or 4 spring door (my previous house had older heavy particle board door with wooden siding, That thing was massive and heavy and 4 springs) on double extra wide garage door 18 feet or so. Never had door not go up and down with just one spring broken. It puts more pressure on the motor and you can hear the difference. I guarantee you there are lots of garages doors with spring broken and the door still works until the other spring breaks or the door motor fails. The springs counter balance the weight of the garage door. yes it will be heavier with one spring broke and weak may not be able to manually open it if the motor won't. It's best to look at the springs see if one has failed before it causes other failures.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Platinum member

Our spring went last Wednesday. Called Ryan 2 hours later the spring was replaced and door adjusted. Great service and a nice young man.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I know what you're saying but the new doors that have springs on them you don't dare to let the tension slip while you're winding it & it could But the springs are only about $20. (unless you have 2 springs, it would be about $40.) I guess I'm to much of do it yourself person, anything you have done here in TV I think the so called pro's take advantage of us retirees & charge way to much. But yes you're probably right, if you're a little worried about getting hurt, it"s better than going to the hospital. Just my opinion. Thanks for your reply!
The spring tension wound up by using punches, you wind with one put the other in to hold tension till you wind the other. The more you wind the greater the danger. Then , you have to know how many turns to counter balance the door and other spring. Then, lock it down. Some jobs are just to much of hassle in less you broke.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:56 PM

My spring broke last night. I called Ryan O'Cull based on the positive comments on this site. He said he would be over in about 10 minutes. He was here in less than that. The new springs were installed in about an hour. Total cost $245. My neighbor had his replaced at a cost of more than double what I paid.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Ryan O’Cull. Reliable, reasonable, skilled. Absolutely the one to call for garage door repairs! (352) 351-1752
Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
My spring broke last night. I called Ryan O'Cull based on the positive comments on this site. He said he would be over in about 10 minutes. He was here in less than that. The new springs were installed in about an hour. Total cost $245. My neighbor had his replaced at a cost of more than double what I paid.
Ryan works a lot of hours every day and fixes many, many, garage door issues. He is the go-to guy that I recommend!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 PM

What is a good price for a garage door man to charge you for a double car garage door with a broken spring?
Closed Thread

Tags
door, garage, spring, inspect, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.