Garage Door Opener Contractor Question

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 AM
Default Garage Door Opener Contractor Question

I need to replace my garage door opener and I have read through many post on ToV, and see there is a strong recommendation for Ryan O'Cull or his father Jeff. Before I contact them for a price, I wonder if anyone has ever used either Lowes or Home Depot for installing a new garage door opener. I've gone over to both, just to see what was available, and have gotten their price for purchase of a new unit and installation. I would like to hear from someone else who has bought from them and had them install a garage door opener to get their comments.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Both my neighbor and I bought replacement Champion garage door openers. These are designed for DIY installation, and appear to be very good quality. His is well over a year old, mine around 6 months. The only challenge was using the original mountings for the motor to the ceiling. In both cases we were able to use the original mounting on the ceiling, and the original connection to the door, the mounting to the header above the door must be changed.
We both like the fact that we have units that are different from the neighbors and the possibility of the remote controls interfering has been eliminated. Also, these units are quieter then the original MVP units.
Since we did the installations ourselves, we do not have any experience with installations by either company.
Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you would like to talk to me.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Ryan has my vote. Timely and price friendly.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail41 View Post
Ryan has my vote. Timely and price friendly.
I second that
Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Just wondering what brand of garage door opener does Ryan install. I've called his phone number and found he is on vacation until this Monday. Don't know if I should wait for him to return or just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get them to replace my opener that died. The opener that was installed in the house is a Crafstman (same as Chamberlain) and I thought I would like to stay with the Chamberlain product line.

Also, while I'm asking the TOTV members, would you recommend replacing with a belt drive or a chain drive opener. The existing is chain, but would like to hear your opinions.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

The chamberlain units come complete with new rail and chain/cable srive, you cannot use the existing chain and drive (we tried at my neighbors). The new rail is in 4 sections that you connect together with a light tap from a hammer, works really well and very quiet. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss over the phone.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:20 PM

Recently, I asked for comments for repairing my garage door opener. There were quite a few recommendations for Ryan O'Cull and Villagetinker even gave me advice for installing a new unit myself. To all of you, thank you. Ryan O'Cull was just here and he replaced the door opener drive sprocket and gear on my existing chain drive opener. Based on that experience, I am ready to hop on the Ryan O'Cull fan club as well. He was fantastic. Quick, thorough, and professional. So add my name to all of those others who recommend Ryan for garage door opener repairs !!!!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Once again and again..Votes for Ryan without any contact information. Sooooooooooo Here is Ryan's contact information... Ryan O'Cull ..... Telephone ( 352 ) 617- 0522
Closed Thread

Tags
opener, door, garage, price, installing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.