Garage too hot?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about putt my ham radio gear in a part of the garage. Of course would like it cool when I was using the rig, but I was wondering if the heat would affect the electronics at other times. Any thoughts on that?
Since this appears to be asked of me, I defer to the max rating for consumer electronics 104 degrees, source https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lCPvj2&ampcf=1

I understand the mindset of IT types, I ran across this in Kuwait. The logic appears to be if cool is good, cold must be better. Certainly there was no basis for that as military electronics is rated to operate at a much higher temp than 104 f, I believe it is rated to 154 f (70 Celsius)

Obviously you can have it set far above 78 degrees many people keep their entire home hotter than that.

Last edited by Toymeister; 08-10-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:26 PM

So what does the Solar Guys charge for an attic fan?
Old 08-10-2021, 04:58 PM
Default Solar Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
A mini split in my garage works exceptionally well to keep the garage cool. Two tons of AC pumped into 600 sq ft means it's cool virtually instantly when I want it. 18 SEER means the cost is so low that it is not perceptible in the electric bill.
I had the Garage fan put in this Spring by Solar Guys, was about $950 ( can vary by size). Garage is cooler this Summer and you actually feel the air flow some. I have it set to turn on when the garage hits about 95. Is much better out there then the last few years though.

Any air moving into the attic and out the soffits etc has to help in the attic for heat buildup, humidity, etc also.

I can hear it slightly from inside the house near the garage, but it sounds like a small fan running. Do not even notice it unless I listen for it. May be my imagination, but seems like my AC runs less.

Obviously if you want to work out in the garage a lot, Split HVAC and insulation would be better. Much more costly to install and run all summer though.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdennis317 View Post
I had the Garage fan put in this Spring by Solar Guys, was about $950 ( can vary by size). Garage is cooler this Summer and you actually feel the air flow some. I have it set to turn on when the garage hits about 95. Is much better out there then the last few years though.

Any air moving into the attic and out the soffits etc has to help in the attic for heat buildup, humidity, etc also.

I can hear it slightly from inside the house near the garage, but it sounds like a small fan running. Do not even notice it unless I listen for it. May be my imagination, but seems like my AC runs less.

Obviously if you want to work out in the garage a lot, Split HVAC and insulation would be better. Much more costly to install and run all summer though.
Actually I was inquiring about an attic fan, not the garage fan but thanks for this info too.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:29 PM

this issue should never happen. these houses are so poorly constructed with inferior products I'm amazed there aren't more issues.. who builds a house without insulating the garage area. in Florida roof fans are not installed just some useless vents.. wall studs without consistency of center to center or material.. wood or metal.. drier vents out the roof. how do you clean them(call a vent cleaner) I'm constantly finding more issues the more I try to do things in it.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
this issue should never happen. these houses are so poorly constructed with inferior products I'm amazed there aren't more issues.. who builds a house without insulating the garage area. in Florida roof fans are not installed just some useless vents.. wall studs without consistency of center to center or material.. wood or metal.. drier vents out the roof. how do you clean them(call a vent cleaner) I'm constantly finding more issues the more I try to do things in it.
I disagree. The houses are not poorly constructed.

The garage is an unconditioned space. I have never seen a builder insulate an unconditioned space, regardless of where the house is constructed. It's a waste of money, and will not keep the garage cool.

There is nothing wrong with mixing wood and steel studs in a house. Attic fans are nice, but usually not provided with new construction. Ridge vents are the standard. And, yes, you do need to clean out the dryer vent no matter where it discharges to.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:20 PM
Sage

What would be the point of insulating the garage? Without HVAC, it will get either hot or cold.

Ridge and sofit vents are designed to control moisture in the attic through natural convection. Attic fans have been researched and are not worthwhile because they do not address the primary mechanism of heat transfer in the attic: radiative transfer from the underside of the roof decking. The builders could do better with a sealed attic via spray foam insulation on the underside of the roof decking. The builders have been installing radiant barriers for the last several years, which is an improvement.

Wall studs are wood for load bearing walls and metal for non load bearing walls.

You clean the dryer vent by going on the roof every 5 years or so or call a vent cleaner. I have had dryer vents through the roof and through a side wall in previous homes. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post

Last edited by biker1; 08-22-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, home, temperature, previous, james

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.