Garage too hot?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2021, 07:04 AM
Default Solar fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
We had the Solar Guys come to our new home in Bradford and install a garage ventilation fan in our 2 car plus a golf cart garage and it has made a big difference in the temperature of the garage.
We had it in a previous home in St. James.

A little over $800 for the installation of it and the door vents; to us it was worth it.
Remember to get your 26% Federal solar tax credit. Those fans are fantastic.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Venting the garage will just pull hot air into your garage. For a real difference you need to insulate the garage attic and install a radiant barrier with an attic vent fan. Most of the heat in the garage comes from the attic which can be over 160F c
Both my attic and the outside are cooler than my garage (the attic has 2 exhaust fans and there is usually a breeze outside). Sounds like a garage exhaust fan is just what I need. Does anyone use a window air conditioner in their garage?
Old 07-22-2021, 07:06 AM

Fire damper with heat fuse is on the garage fan. Guess they failed to mention that fact.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Window ACs might be a violation of the deed restrictions - depends on where you live as the deed restrictions are not identical everywhere in The Villages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLTempleton View Post
Both my attic and the outside are cooler than my garage (the attic has 2 exhaust fans and there is usually a breeze outside). Sounds like a garage exhaust fan is just what I need. Does anyone use a window air conditioner in their garage?

Last edited by tuccillo; 07-22-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
We had the Solar Guys come to our new home in Bradford and install a garage ventilation fan in our 2 car plus a golf cart garage and it has made a big difference in the temperature of the garage.

A little over $800 for the installation of it and the door vents; to us it was worth it.
TECO is gonna love you. They are raising their rates. For 2021 health ins, electric, gas, water, amenities, cable, gas, food, insurance etc now it’s at least twice a year
Old 07-22-2021, 07:10 AM

Thanks! Wondering... My garage has a window that can be opened. I wonder if that is an alternative to cutting holes in the garage doors.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 AM
Default Limit to credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
There is a $$ limit on the tax credit. If that's a deciding factor make sure you haven't already used it up. We used almost all of it years ago up north installing new windows and had little left for the solar tubes we installed.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:41 AM
Default Garage air conditioner

I put a garage air conditioner that vents through the window. ( not a window air conditioner). Cools and dehumidify the expanded two car garage . 15* cooler that outside.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:23 AM
Default vents

All good garage info. to consider, thanks all. I just wanted to add a note about attic vents as my hubby did a calc on how many vents we should have for our roof and got 4.5 (we only had 2 in our designer model). So, he got a few quotes and found a contractor to put in 3 more (contractor got same figure by the way). It has made a big difference, still gets hot up there but not nearly as hot.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,652 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
Thanks! Wondering... My garage has a window that can be opened. I wonder if that is an alternative to cutting holes in the garage doors.
We had a new garage door opener installed a few weeks back. During a chat with the installer guy, he said that in the summer, especially if your garage door is facing south, the temperature inside your garage with the door closed can get as high a 150 degrees Fahrenheit, or five degrees over what you are if you're a medium-well done ribeye. That's hot!

Anyway he recommended leaving your garage door open (assuming you're at home) and closing that sliding screen thingy that just about all garages here in The Villages seem to have. Seems to be working OK.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Default Fire Issue Resolved to Exhaust fan from garage to attic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
We had their solar attic fan installed. We opted not to get the garage ventilation system because I was concerned about fire danger. The way they explained it to me is they put two vents in your garage door and a fan in your garage ceiling. Anywhere else in the country it would be against fire code to vent your garage directly into the attic. If a fire started in your garage it would be in your attic before you were able to hit the 9 in 911.
Florida has the same law found in other states. Solar Guys installed an exhaust fan from the garage into the attic for us. They install a "fail-safe", per code. This is a damper door system that closes if there is a fire. This shuts off the fan opening access to the attic, thus separating the attic from any fire that might take place in the garage.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:23 AM

I have heard when they put in a Solar Tube or any kind of vent in the roof that it Voids the warranty on the roof. Is this true?
Old 07-22-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
I don't think a garage ventilation fan qualifies for the 26 percent solar tax credit.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruggsNC1 View Post
I have heard when they put in a Solar Tube or any kind of vent in the roof that it Voids the warranty on the roof. Is this true?
Not true.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Vents, fans, AC. All good options. Does anyone have recent good recommendations or reviews for motorized screen doors? Double door, wondering the approximate cost and vendor. Old threads out there and am wondering about recent experiences and suggestions.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, home, temperature, previous, james

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.