Garage too hot?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2021, 09:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,017 Times in 524 Posts
Default Umm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
OK, that makes sense, so why can't the system be vented directly to the outside?
Global Warming…/s/

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.” Thomas Carlyle
Old 07-22-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Venting the garage will just pull hot air into your garage. For a real difference you need to insulate the garage attic and install a radiant barrier with an attic vent fan. Most of the heat in the garage comes from the attic which can be over 160F c
Not sure what you mean by venting the garage? I have attic insulation and it's just plain hot in my garage by the afternoon. My understanding of the attic fan is that it sucks in outside air (much cooler than my garage) from the eves of my house and vents it out the roof. The OP said his new attic fan made a bid difference in the garage temperature. I guess I will find out in a few hours.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:22 AM

My home came with the garage vent fan already installed when I bought it. All it seemed to do was suck in the hot humid air from the outside. That is not comfortable at all if you want to work in your garage.

Better option for me was to insulate the garage attic and install a 24,000 btu Mitsubishi mini split. It was a 20.5 seer high efficiency unit. It is sooo nice to have a cool temp and low humidity in the garage. That is really a much better solution if you intend to use your garage as I do. I am doing some brake work on my classic car today in the garage. I wouldn't even consider it with the previous vent fan set up I had. Too Hot!!!!

I doubt it is any more expensive to run the mini split than the garage vent fan, but much better comfort level with the mini split.

Last edited by Tom52; 07-22-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Default Garage ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
We had the Solar Guys come to our new home in Bradford and install a garage ventilation fan in our 2 car plus a golf cart garage and it has made a big difference in the temperature of the garage.
We had it in a previous home in St. James.

A little over $800 for the installation of it and the door vents; to us it was worth it.
Would you mind if my husband and I came to your house to see this ventilation system and how it was installed? We live in Belvedere coming up on 18 years. We have a deep freeze in our garage which has to work so hard because of the heat. Yesterday our garage was 99 degrees. We would really appreciate your time.

Tony and Linda Arce
(352)638-4738
Linarce@icloud.com
Old 07-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,605 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linarce@yahoo.com View Post
Would you mind if my husband and I came to your house to see this ventilation system and how it was installed? We live in Belvedere coming up on 18 years. We have a deep freeze in our garage which has to work so hard because of the heat. Yesterday our garage was 99 degrees. We would really appreciate your time.

Tony and Linda Arce
(352)638-4738
Linarce@icloud.com
When the garage temperature was 99 degrees, what was the outside air temperature? If all you do is suck the outside air through the garage, the garage temperature can only achieve the same temperature as the outside air. Currently, the temperature in my garage is 90 degrees, which is the same as the outside air temperature.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
A mini split in my garage works exceptionally well to keep the garage cool. Two tons of AC pumped into 600 sq ft means it's cool virtually instantly when I want it. 18 SEER means the cost is so low that it is not perceptible in the electric bill.
About what does that cost, installed? I hear that Mitsubishi is the most reliable brand. I know they are very quiet, even outside. Can you recommend an excellent installer. I’ve read that these are NOT DIY products, as there are special refrigerant tools needed that are specialized.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
We had the Solar Guys come to our new home in Bradford and install a garage ventilation fan in our 2 car plus a golf cart garage and it has made a big difference in the temperature of the garage.
We had it in a previous home in St. James.

A little over $800 for the installation of it and the door vents; to us it was worth it.
The Solar Guys are terrific. I had them install four SolaTubes a few months ago. It took one guy about three hours. Perfect. About $850 per tube, installed.

Does the material with the fan say how many watts the fan uses?
Old 07-22-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
... Most of the heat in the garage comes from the attic which can be over 160F c
Maybe at your place, but in my garage most of the heat is right through the doors. Sun shining on the doors heats them up like pizza ovens. One can feel the heat when standing anywhere within 8 feet of the doors. The outside air is always cooler.

My first line of defense is radiant reflecting insulation on the doors. Second line will be this type of fan.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
About what does that cost, installed? I hear that Mitsubishi is the most reliable brand. I know they are very quiet, even outside. Can you recommend an excellent installer. I’ve read that these are NOT DIY products, as there are special refrigerant tools needed that are specialized.
Mitsubishi are the best. We used mini splits in Afghanistan, and I mean everywhere. Grueling conditions.. Mitsubishi lasted, many did not.

A 18 SEER ( they do sell a higher SEER) with no condensation pump (usually not required). $4,500.00 from Munn's. With the one year warranty and you get a (unwanted) nine year service contract. I cancelled that and I got 257.00 back.

Last edited by Toymeister; 07-22-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:07 PM

The previous owner had the garage door isolated. My garage stays cool.
Offutt AFB, NE—Wilton, ME
Kadena AFB, Okinawa—Eglin AFB, FL
Bergstrom AFB, TX.
RAF Welford, England.
Anderson AFB, Guam
Ramstein AB, Germany
Tallahassee, FL—Atlanta, GA
Old 07-22-2021, 12:34 PM

Temperatures in our attics. Just an fyi, I have a white transponder in the attic and I'm able to see what the temperatures are as the unit relays the information to the clock inside. In two years it has never exceeded 118 degrees - which is quite hot but not at all like the 135 degrees that a contractor shows on their online advertising material.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:18 PM
Location: Bronx, Yonkers, Tampa, Brooklyn, Little Rock now The Villages
Default Mini Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
A mini split in my garage works exceptionally well to keep the garage cool. Two tons of AC pumped into 600 sq ft means it's cool virtually instantly when I want it. 18 SEER means the cost is so low that it is not perceptible in the electric bill.
Is your attic insulated over the garage? Munns installed mini split in lanai and insulated the ceiling over the lanai.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
Not sure what you mean by venting the garage? I have attic insulation and it's just plain hot in my garage by the afternoon. My understanding of the attic fan is that it sucks in outside air (much cooler than my garage) from the eves of my house and vents it out the roof. The OP said his new attic fan made a bid difference in the garage temperature. I guess I will find out in a few hours.
It is now a few hours later and I stand corrected. An attic fan and a garage fan are two different things. According to the Solar Guy here now doing my install, a garage fan is much larger and will help cool the garage a noticeable bit. An attic fan will help cool the over all attic area and probably will not change the garage temp that much, but helps to keep the overall attic temperature just a little lower.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:37 PM

Save your money, the Fan just brings in dust and Hot Air. The vents in the garage door weakened your doors Hurricane rating.
Jus put A/C in your garage.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:43 PM
Default Cool attic

We had a radiant barrier added to our attic and it made a major difference in attic temp. Keeps the house cooler in the summer and helps keep the house warmer in the winter.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, home, temperature, previous, james

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.