Generator installation

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 PM

You should post a picture of your breaker box so we can see the connector.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Sage
Default Generator installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag460 View Post
You should post a picture of your breaker box so we can see the connector.

I would be happy to do so, but about 2 months ago I lost the ability to upload photos, etc. Have not been been able to figure out how to solve it.

Here is a link to the transfer switch info though.

http://gens.generac.com/GeneracCorpo...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by dbussone; 09-18-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
The generator, installed, was about $8400. If you have natural gas there will be a slight hookup fee. I live south of 466A so I had to set it up for propane. That required a large 250 gallon tank to be buried in my yard, and a propane delivery.

The tank can be leased or purchased, and the propane costs about $2.19 per gallon.

About 10 years ago, at my former home in Charlotte, I installed a 17kw generator and it cost about $1000 more.

Thank you. We too live south of 466A and propane would need to be the fuel. Your cost is about what I thought it would be. Again, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
The generator, installed, was about $8400. If you have natural gas there will be a slight hookup fee. I live south of 466A so I had to set it up for propane. That required a large 250 gallon tank to be buried in my yard, and a propane delivery.

The tank can be leased or purchased, and the propane costs about $2.19 per gallon.

About 10 years ago, at my former home in Charlotte, I installed a 17kw generator and it cost about $1000 more.

I have gas stove and dryer. Does this mean, installing gas generator will be easier or less expensive if I use the gas line in my house? Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Sage
Default Generator installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2009 View Post
I have gas stove and dryer. Does this mean, installing gas generator will be easier or less expensive if I use the gas line in my house? Thanks

It would be easier because you already have access to natural gas.. Good for you. And the installation of the gas fuel source would be less expensive than creating a propane source.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Thank you. We too live south of 466A and propane would need to be the fuel. Your cost is about what I thought it would be. Again, thanks for the info.

Welcome!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Welcome!

[emoji137]🏼*♂️

Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Platinum member
Smile Consider the odds.

In my 48 years of living in Florida (admittedly mostly in Tampa) I have been in a house without electricity due to weather for three days on one occasion and for 30 hours on another (the recent Hurricane Irma.)

After the three day event, which was back in the 1980's, I bought a portable generator that was capable of supporting my refrigerator, my over-the-air TV, a 100 watt light bulb, and a large electric fan. I could briefly change the power from the refrigerator to the microwave, and at night I ran only the refrigerator and a window unit air conditioner for my bedroom.

For a couple of years after I made the purchase, I ran the generator annually, and changed the gasoline and oil each year. After a while the novelty wore off and it got stuffed in the back of the garage. This time, we didn't even drag out the generator because it was a sure thing that the gasoline had gotten gummy although I had put gas stabilizer in the last tankful and it would take some effort to clean it up and get it running.

As I've mentioned before, food preparation without electricity is not an issue because I have a camp stove and a gas grill.

In the case of Irma, when it became apparent that we might be without electricity for a couple of days, we started preparing the perishables in the freezer for each meal. Nothing spoiled and we ate well. If the power outage had extended another half day we might have cranked up the generator for the refrigerator and electric fans.

Now, The Villages has just gone through a direct hit by a hurricane which was estimated to be a Category 2 blow, which is the worst that a hurricane this far inland is likely to be, so you might want to question the wisdom of the high cost of an investment in a whole house emergency generator in view of the infrequency that hurricanes even come inland as opposed to doing coastal damage.

What are the odds?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:53 AM

Check central maine diesel website
Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
In my 48 years of living in Florida (admittedly mostly in Tampa) I have been in a house without electricity due to weather for three days on one occasion and for 30 hours on another (the recent Hurricane Irma.)

After the three day event, which was back in the 1980's, I bought a portable generator that was capable of supporting my refrigerator, my over-the-air TV, a 100 watt light bulb, and a large electric fan. I could briefly change the power from the refrigerator to the microwave, and at night I ran only the refrigerator and a window unit air conditioner for my bedroom.

For a couple of years after I made the purchase, I ran the generator annually, and changed the gasoline and oil each year. After a while the novelty wore off and it got stuffed in the back of the garage. This time, we didn't even drag out the generator because it was a sure thing that the gasoline had gotten gummy although I had put gas stabilizer in the last tankful and it would take some effort to clean it up and get it running.

As I've mentioned before, food preparation without electricity is not an issue because I have a camp stove and a gas grill.

In the case of Irma, when it became apparent that we might be without electricity for a couple of days, we started preparing the perishables in the freezer for each meal. Nothing spoiled and we ate well. If the power outage had extended another half day we might have cranked up the generator for the refrigerator and electric fans.

Now, The Villages has just gone through a direct hit by a hurricane which was estimated to be a Category 2 blow, which is the worst that a hurricane this far inland is likely to be, so you might want to question the wisdom of the high cost of an investment in a whole house emergency generator in view of the infrequency that hurricanes even come inland as opposed to doing coastal damage.

What are the odds?
I would agree with Carl. For a little perspective, we lived in Michigan (about 2 hours north and west of Detroit) for about 12 years before moving here full time. When we moved to Michigan, I asked my neighbor about buying a whole house generator as I was concerned with the winters and not having heat, and he advised me against it. The utility lines were underground, and he told me that in the 12 years he lived there before we came, they only lost power very briefly (a few hours). We lived there for 11 years before a storm hit that resulted in us losing power for three days. The storm was rain/wind related and it was not yet cold enough to worry about frozen pipes. My major concern was that my sump pump did not work, so I literally made over 100 trips up and down the stairs bailing out my sump. In retrospect, I might have made the investment when I first moved to Michigan for a little more peace of mind.

Should we lose power here (we were fortunate that we did not lose power with Irma), from our perspective the worst would be that we would be without air conditioning, and we could lose refrigerated food. At least we would not be worried about frozen pipes or no heat as we could have faced in Michigan.

However, should health issues be such that maintaining air conditioning is a requirement, then you might weigh that into the equation. Given the number of events of lost power in this area due to storms (other posts seem to indicate that it has been minutes/hours versus days not including Irma), I am not sure that the cost benefit analysis would say it is worth it as I can buy a heck of a lot of groceries before I break even.........
Old 09-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Sage

I completely understand both CarlinTampa and TraderJoe's positions. The Villages came out relatively unscathed in Irma. However there are still pockets here with no electricity. Our generator serves 2 purposes. It sits there to provide some level of certainty that my wife will have A/C and power. Her medical condition is significantly impacted by heat. The generator also provides me the ability to participate in volunteer activities that are disaster related, knowing that my wife will be comfortable.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2009 View Post
I am not sure about TECO requirements in The Villages, but in Wisconsin I was required to have the gas company install a larger gas meter on my existing gas line. This is because the generator uses more gas.
Closed Thread

Tags
generator, board, house, run, limitations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.