Golf Cart Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Default Golf Cart Insurance

I need some advice! Just received my golf cart insurance bill. I use The Villages Insurance and the insurance is through Foremost Ins. Co. The price increased by approx. 30% (last year $92, this year $120.) Does this sound like an abnormal jump? Or has all ins. increased by that amount? Also, do any of you have your golf cart on the same policy as your automobile? Thank you for any advice you can give me!
Old 09-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Finding golf car insurance is like finding hens teeth
Old 09-26-2018, 03:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalie View Post
I need some advice! Just received my golf cart insurance bill. I use The Villages Insurance and the insurance is through Foremost Ins. Co. The price increased by approx. 30% (last year $92, this year $120.) Does this sound like an abnormal jump? Or has all ins. increased by that amount? Also, do any of you have your golf cart on the same policy as your automobile? Thank you for any advice you can give me!
It has to do with Foremost covering renters driving golf carts. Your agent can explain this to you. If you switch to Progressive, your insurance should be about the same as you were paying Foremost.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:55 PM

We experienced the same huge jump in premium cost after our first year with Foremost Ins through the Villages Insurance. Not the fault of VI (we have our home insurance through them and are satisfied), it's just the way Foremost sets its premiums. They told us they use a credit rating service that most people have never heard of. Although our credit report from the top 3 companies was almost peaked out, the one used by Foremost had us marked down severely due to store credit cards we had cancelled some 30 years ago when we had lived in places during military postings. Because of those cancelled credit accounts some 30 years ago, our insurance rate calculated by Foremost jumped up from the mid $80s to the mid $120s. We shopped around and found at AAA our current policy from Progressive Insurance. The premium went back down to where it should have been and we've never looked back. There may be other good policy choices but Progressive works well for us and has not jumped up after a teaser first-year. Regarding the question of combining the golf cart and auto insurance, no ours are not combined. They aren't a good mix.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Just renewed our GC insurance thru Foremost again - ours WENT DOWN $2/yr to $70.

We have a Tomberlin 4seater, full time residents coverage. Our agent checked with Progressive where our home&car coverage is - they were a bit more, we decided to stick with Foremost.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage

Check to see what value you have the golf cart insured for. If may still be insured for the original value you bought it for but it's value is now substantially less. Updating it's insured value may save you some money. It did in our case. There is, of course, a liability component to the premium.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
We use the same Insurance Company and this year price went up also. Looking for new insurance company.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:51 AM

Call Allstate Insurance, CR 101
We were quoted $100 less than Foremost, for 2 carts. If you have medical insurance, you don't need to get that on the Cart Policy as it only covers the policy owner, not others.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Is insurance required or do people just realize the need for it. Do most just have insurance in case they hit someone or do they have collision as well? Who checks to see if you are insured or not.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Is insurance required or do people just realize the need for it. Do most just have insurance in case they hit someone or do they have collision as well? Who checks to see if you are insured or not.
It’s the same as carrying homeowners or auto insurance. If you don’t have a mortgage on your home, no one but you cares whether you have insurance.

Most people recognize the need to transfer the potential financial risk to the insurance company in exchange for the premium. Depending on the value of the cart and the ability to self-insure, some people carry both comp and collision.

Liability wise, if the cart driver hits someone, causing horrible physical or bodily damage to others, they are unwilling to be bankrupted due to an accident, so they carry liability insurance. Some also carry an umbrella policy.

No one checks to see if you have golf cart insurance until after an accident. By then, of course, it’s too late if you don’t have it, and, well, there you are, in a terrible mess.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I use Allstate at about $60.00. No renters coverage.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage

Our policy with Foremost is $50. Adding the golf cart to the Umbrella policy is $41. We dropped medical on the golf cart because a friend was injured in their golf cart when a car hit the cart. Their health insurance ended up being secondary to the golf cart medical coverage, which caused serious complications in getting treatment.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,076 Times in 2,743 Posts

Just got my renewal notice from Foremost, ouch, 28% increase in premium. I will be calling our agent at Villages Insurance.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, golf, cart, increased, ins

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.