Granite Transformation - Beware

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Default Granite Transformations - beware

Services were provided by the store located at 110 N Orlando Ave, Maitlando FL 32751 407-218-5948
On November 20, 2017 we entered into a contract to a kitchen remodel that consisting of a new counter top and backsplash and island front. We were confident from the information we received from the salesman that this would be an easy and straight forward job. He estimated that the job should take from one to two days to complete. We went with your company not because you were the lowest bid but because of your method there would be less disruption in our house with the way the product was installed. The installation became a nightmare, with a total of seven days and almost 80 hours of total time spent installing the product.
But that is not the real issue with the product. There are two areas of concern; the broken tiles and the discoloration of the tiles. There were over 70 broken tiles on the backsplash and the island front. What surprised us was the installer was willing to walk out of the house with the way the product looked.
The discoloration of the tile is a whole other concern. What should have been a backsplash that popped now is covered in a gray film. The white tiles are now a gray white color instead of a bright white. Also, it is full scratches from the improper application of the grout. This was caused by the improper tool being used and the wrong kind of grout and not preparing the marble tile for the grout.
I have done research both on the web and visiting local stores to find out the proper way. First the tile should have been sealed as marble is very porous and must be sealed before application of the grout. The second issue was the improper tool was used to apply the grout. Per my research a foam applicator should have been used. The hard metal surface of the trowel caused the marble surface to be scratched. The sand that was in the grout also scratched the surface.
We now have a product that is full of cracks and discoloration because the product was not finished correctly. No matter how many cracks that they fixed the backsplash will never look like the sample. We expected this to stand out with lots of color and it doesn’t.
We have had many calls to Cindy at the Orlando office about our concerns. We have asked her to ask the office manager at the store to come look at this installation on three different occasions. He has not called to talk to us or want to come up and see what this looks like.
We paid a fair sum for this project and we wanted something that we could be proud of and want to show our friends and neighbors. But what we ended up with was a product that looks like a job that was performed by someone that was just learning to learn the trade.
I did send an email to the corporate office in Miami and their response was all the dealers are independent contractors, with independent installers. If there were any issues I need to deal with them. You can see how far that got us.
We will be contacting the local Seniors VS Crime, BBB and Construction Industry Licensing Board.
If you would want to see their work before you sign a contract please PM me.

We have reached a solution with the above company and we have received some compensation for the work.

Last edited by rtime; 03-29-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: situation resloved
Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, if you used a credit card to pay for the project, contact the CC company, file a complaint and have them halt payment until this is fixed. Sorry for your problems, unfortunately, many companies use sub contractors, some good some bad. I think you are on the right track for forcing the company to fix this.
Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Sage

Why I do my own work. If you don’t know how, learn. Trust no one, check everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

So sorry for your trouble. I have no solution, but appreciate your feedback. What a nightmare!
Old 03-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

I looked at doing that but ended up getting granite installed because I didn't feel it was such a pain taking out the old counters and it wasn't. I had granite installed in a day. so sorry you had this experience but agree it was good of you to share.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:24 PM

So sorry you've had such a bad time of it with this company, I hope there's still a chance they may come through for you but in the meantime, definitely contest the charges if you used your credit card as another poster suggested...if you haven't already. Thank you for the heads up, your post may save others the stress and aggravation you've had to endure. Best wishes.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Just a little more about this install. They did an outstanding job on the counter tops. Maybe about 4 hours to complete. I would give them an A grade on the counters but the backsplash would be an F.

If you would like to see a few pictures please send me a PM,

Last edited by rtime; 03-13-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: adding a line
Old 03-26-2018, 03:01 PM

About 5 years ago we had Granite Tranformations do a large project for us with counter tops in the kitchen and long wet bar in our family room. They also did back splash work. We found that they did excellent work, fair price and on time. Recently they came out to our home and trimmed and buffed one counter top edge as we needed more room for the larger fridge. Again on time and great work.
So sorry you are having an issue.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:54 PM

What store did your install? Glad everything went great for you. Our counters were great but the backsplash is another story.
Closed Thread

Tags
product, grout, backsplash, tiles, marble

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.