Gravity Roof Vent Repair - who to call?

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Sage
Default Gravity Roof Vent Repair - who to call?

I have one of those round roof vents on my house (someone told me it's called a gravity vent).

The round cover has a fist size dent on one side and the silver metal "collar" that attaches to the cover and the roof/flashing is folded down on one side. I was wondering if it had been struck by lightning, but, consulted one of the local lightning guys by email and he said maybe but hard to tell without a visual inspection.

I'm not sure if this is just a cosmetic issue or something that needs to be repaired or replaced. Any recommendations on who to contact or consult?

Photo is not that clear but you can zoom in to see how the collar is folded down.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	71881  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

My guess, it was probably hit by debris during IRMA. Call home warranty and ask who installed this item, then call them about inspection and repair if necessary.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I agree with vt. Our vents were installed in such a way that water was pouring down into our dryer hose and microwave exhaust. Home Warranty gave us the name of the installer and the name of the roofer. After much back 'n forth over whose responsibility it was, the roofer finally fixed it. But I believe it was a plumber who installed the vents. Since you're just requiring a repair not covered by warranty, I would think calling the plumber who installed it would be the answer.

Tags
collar, cover, folded, lightning, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.