Gravity Roof Vent Repair - who to call?

Gravity Roof Vent Repair - who to call?


» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Gravity Roof Vent Repair - who to call?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM
villages07's Avatar
villages07 villages07 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,998
Default Gravity Roof Vent Repair - who to call?

I have one of those round roof vents on my house (someone told me it's called a gravity vent).

The round cover has a fist size dent on one side and the silver metal "collar" that attaches to the cover and the roof/flashing is folded down on one side. I was wondering if it had been struck by lightning, but, consulted one of the local lightning guys by email and he said maybe but hard to tell without a visual inspection.

I'm not sure if this is just a cosmetic issue or something that needs to be repaired or replaced. Any recommendations on who to contact or consult?

Photo is not that clear but you can zoom in to see how the collar is folded down.
Attached Thumbnails
Maryland (DC Suburbs) - first 51 years
The Villages - next 51 years

Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 5,075

My guess, it was probably hit by debris during IRMA. Call home warranty and ask who installed this item, then call them about inspection and repair if necessary.
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 10:17 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 12,733

I agree with vt. Our vents were installed in such a way that water was pouring down into our dryer hose and microwave exhaust. Home Warranty gave us the name of the installer and the name of the roofer. After much back 'n forth over whose responsibility it was, the roofer finally fixed it. But I believe it was a plumber who installed the vents. Since you're just requiring a repair not covered by warranty, I would think calling the plumber who installed it would be the answer.
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
Closed Thread

collar, cover, folded, lightning, side

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.