High Speed Access available here without Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2020, 06:24 AM
Default Everyone hates Comcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Depends on where you live what provider is available. Personally I have no issues with ComCrap. Stuck with them because they are the only provider in my area that can provide more than 20Mbps. I'm on their 250/20 tier and always get 320/20. Have you tried connecting your computer hard wired (not wifi) DIRECT to your router and see what you get? That's really the ONLY way to determine where the problem lies. You could have a bad drop, a bad router or device connectivity issues. Something sounds very wrong somewhere. If that proves slow as well you should demand someone to come out and check your drop or the connection to the dmarc on the side of your house. Also, you could connect your router DIRECT to the incoming cable at the dmarc to eliminate inside wiring as a problem.
For the record I cut my Direct tv cord in December my WiFi is with century link and I have no issues. I use 3 fire stick 4K for streaming on 3 tv’s 2 phones 2 iPads a printer and 4 smart light also a sound bar. My cost is $65 a month and 5.99 with Hulu. I watch movies that are at the movie theater set all the major news channels any my service stays on without issues. Direct tv went down anytime it rains hard. Those of you that are thinking of changing don’t use a company or flea market guy to switch over order you fire stick directly from Amazon it’s simple to hookup then go to YouTube and watch “ how to jail break a fire stick. It’s that easy.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:39 AM
Default High Speed Internet

Spectrum offers up to 400. If the are available in your area you’ll want to call them.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:01 AM

Comcast always says when you call about speed well it has to go thru your walls and it slows down everything or connect directly thru modem etc its all B.S. The truth is and they will never tell you is all comcast modems are set at lower speeds on purpose. I went to best buy and bought my on modem netgear night nighthawk.Comcast compatible and around 189.00, after installing my speeds have been what i'm paying for I went from 60 down load speed to the 200 download speed im paying for and with the speed test im at 235 to 240. The walls in my house dosent seem to mess the speed up with my netgear nighthawk modem. Comcast will never tell you the truth about this but scare you and tell you well we cant service your modem if you own it dont listen. I can now stream on my computer , firestick, hulu etc with no buffering.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:12 AM

I hear you and got rid of Comcast for the same reason. I have spectrum and I stream tv with a firestick and have no problems. I got their 400 speed instead of 250. Don’t have problems plus they include their own router and modum and they work great. 69.99 total per month including tax
Old 04-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I’m so sorry for suggesting it then. Perhaps AT&T?
Att uses DSL, much slower than Comcast/Xfinity, happy with them. Had Fibervision before, what a disaster with them!!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Default CenturyLink Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
I've had my gut filled with Comcast. I'm paying for 200 mg and getting 5 or 6 down. Total BS and I've tired of called for resets. QUESTION: Is there any way to get high speed internet so I can switch to HULU like we have up north? I've heard Century Link sucks. Any other options? Please tell me there is life after Comcast....and no Directv is no better.
I live in the northern Villages where Internet options and pricing sucks, but I did find a reasonable compromise. I was sick and tired of Comcast price increases and all of my neighbors who had CenturyLink said stay away.

I have CenturyLink up north with great pricing, service, and speed, so I kept checking back to see if they were ever going to upgrade their service here. I finally stumbled across a rep who knew what he was talking about. He said I could get twisted-pair service in my neighborhood for $49 per month for 40MB service. I thought, what do I have to lose, so I tried it even though the speed is slower and the price higher than my other CenturyLink service.

I get an honest and consistent 35MB with my DSL, which is more than enough speed for any streaming service. It's been totally reliable for the three months I've had it.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Default I have Comcast with a motorolla modem I purchased from Best Buy.

I have Comcast with a motorolla modem I purchased from Best Buy. No issues with streaming tv or anything else. Speed is around 40 mbps at the minimum range but peaks higher. Seems 40 is enough to stream HD.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:31 AM

Century link is fine for streaming on a Roku TV. No issues here.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:37 AM

Thank you for you techies out there. Turns out it is my house not Comcrap. I took my iPad into the room with the modern and I'm testing 290 mbps down. Same iPad in my office right next to my iMac that tests at 18 mbps shows 130 mbps. My new MacBook pro runs at 140 while sitting next to my iMac. Why would my iMac which is less than 2 yr old run so much slower? I'm using it on wifi which is how I tested the other devices. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 AM
Default Streaming Alternative To Comcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
I've had my gut filled with Comcast. I'm paying for 200 mg and getting 5 or 6 down. Total BS and I've tired of called for resets. QUESTION: Is there any way to get high speed internet so I can switch to HULU like we have up north? I've heard Century Link sucks. Any other options? Please tell me there is life after Comcast....and no Directv is no better.
Available options depend on where in The Villages you live. In my case, we live between 466A and 44. CenturyLink offers fiberoptic service with a price for life guaranty. The only thing you may have to give up is your telephone land line if you still have one. Many of my neighbors and I have gone complete streaming. CenturyLink, YouTube TV, etc.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:42 AM
Smile Internet svc

Hi. I have Hughes Net, I've not had an issue
Old 04-08-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,240 Posts

I have been using Comcast for years, with THEIR equipment. The last time I had problems, it turns out the cable drop from the outside box (back yard) to the box in the garage went bad. They had to install a new cable drop. The computers show 35 meg download and 20 meg upload (these are older computers), the phone shows over 300 meg download on wifi.
IMHO, if you are using Comcast equipment, request to have a technician come to your house and take actual signal level measurements, this is how they found the problem at our house, we went through all of the resets and modem reports before I had the tech come out. The problem was actually big enough, they had to get a second tech out.
As for signal strength, their newest modems are not a good as the older modem, so I am in the process of moving the modem, just finished relocating some of the cable connections will move the modem in the next day or so.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:48 AM

AT&T FIOS should be good, if it is in your area. You can check online. Just enter your address and it will tell you.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been using Comcast for years, with THEIR equipment. The last time I had problems, it turns out the cable drop from the outside box (back yard) to the box in the garage went bad. They had to install a new cable drop. The computers show 35 meg download and 20 meg upload (these are older computers), the phone shows over 300 meg download on wifi.
IMHO, if you are using Comcast equipment, request to have a technician come to your house and take actual signal level measurements, this is how they found the problem at our house, we went through all of the resets and modem reports before I had the tech come out. The problem was actually big enough, they had to get a second tech out.
As for signal strength, their newest modems are not a good as the older modem, so I am in the process of moving the modem, just finished relocating some of the cable connections will move the modem in the next day or so.
Thank you for you techies out there. Turns out it is my house not Comcrap. I took my iPad into the room with the modern and I'm testing 290 mbps down. Same iPad in my office right next to my iMac that tests at 18 mbps shows 130 mbps. My new MacBook pro runs at 140 while sitting next to my iMac. Why would my iMac which is less than 2 yr old run so much slower? I'm using it on wifi which is how I tested the other devices. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:02 AM
theruizs

We have had Spectrum now for eight years (well, it was Brighthouse before Spectrum bought them) and we have no problems at all. We have 200Mbs internet and use Apple TV, two iPads, and three internet cameras (on the 5ghz channel) with all of them going at times with no hiccups.
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, speed, high, filled, century

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.