Room Addition-Bird Cage

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Default Room Addition-Bird Cage

Hello everyone! I am currently working with T & D on estimates for a big project...they were highly recommended here in the Villages. My question is this, although they are highly recommended, I'd like to get another comparison quote. Does anyone know of a smaller, reputable company I can call??
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Default Contractors for room additions

I have heard that T & D were pretty good as well as Gingerich Construction. My husband and I were looking for contractors to build on a Florida room and birdcage on our courtyard villa. We got estimates from White Aluminum and I think All-Around Aluminum. I would not deal with either of the later two. White Aluminum gave us an estimate, but we forgot to give them a 20% off coupon that the company mailed out to Villagers. When we called the company the person that we dealt with laugh and said "I hate those coupons"
He went on to explain that they already gave us that discount even if it did not appear on the estimate. We will never know if they actually did (I think not) The next day we received in the mail another coupon for 30% which they would not extend to us. All-Around Aluminum was really informative, but they wanted us to pay for the work in cash so there would not be any paperwork. My husband and I felt uncomfortable about that arrangement and told the person that if we didn't go with their estimate, it was because of the pay-in-cash deal. Seems like a red flag to me and probably should be investigated by the IRS. Sorry about being negative, but I don't want you to waste your time on those two companies. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

If you are installing a pool, we recommend talking with Joyce Bowles at Backyard Aquatics located in Mount Dora. For birdcage, call Action Aluminum in Orlando.

Backyard Aquatics website: www.backyardaquaticsinc.com
Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I sent you a PM wih some informtaion.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM

We just finished a major remodeling of our lanai and added a birdcage. We chose T&D and are extremely pleased with the result. They were on time and on budget.
The bid we almost took was Gingrich who are supposed to be at least as good. Our final decision was solely based on $$$.
Advanced is a company to avoid.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Thumbs up Contractor

We recently completed a project with Advanced Construction. They extended our lanai, built an in-ground pool and installed the bird-cage. They were more responsive then T&D plus came in $10K less for the same thing. Call Richard Ortengren at 352 350 1215. He is the owner.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 PM

I would recommend Mark Cook Builders as well. 352-435-4584
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Does anyone have a general idea of what it would cost for a birdcage on a Foxglove from side slider to back slider?

aj
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Default Birdcage on CYV

Can anyone give me an approximate cost of adding a birdcage onto an end-unit CYV?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM

I used T&D for my Birdcage and doggie door. They do not ask for any money until the building inspector passes their work. Very trusting. Their workers are also very good and know their stuff. We had a few little things we wanted fixed after the birdcage settled after a few months and they were very responsive and even replaced a door and doggie door. You call them and they show up quickly.

I did not get another quote as some things I do not buy on price but rather the reputation of the company doing the work. In this case T&D proved their worth by fixing or changing every little thing I asked them to do without a single complaint. From my experience most can do the job but it is how they respond later on when there are problems that counts. My experience so far is that every time I went with the lower bid they either disappear after the job is done or they stop responding to your calls as they figure it will cost them too much. T&D came out about 5 times for little things like touch up the caulking, replacing a door after the cage settled, acid washed the new floor they put in so that it matched the old floor, etc..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.