Home purchasing - need advice for home inspector

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2023, 06:08 AM
Default Home purchasing - need advice for home inspector

Just wondering how the whole home inspection works when buying a home in The Villages.
I think we make the offer on the home, contingent on the home inspection.

We pay for the inspection? Can we/should we be present when they do the inspection?

It could be used to negotiate, both for us and the seller, so if I'm paying for it, I don't want the seller or the agent (who represents the seller) to see it unless I want them to.

Any recommendations for a good inspector? Are they licensed?

How thorough are these inspections? We know an instance in our hometown where a few days after closing, the sewer system backed up into the basement. That was after the inspection, so I think they missed something there, eh?

Last edited by bopat; 01-06-2023 at 06:09 AM. Reason: recommendations
Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

You can find in this thread

Home Inspection on a new build???

FAQS | dangeloinspections
Old 01-06-2023, 11:00 AM

Thanks!

Last edited by bopat; 01-06-2023 at 11:10 AM. Reason: n/a
Old 01-06-2023, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

You can be present at the Home inspection, it's helpful.

You do need to give them some space. Don't go up ladders if they walk the roof, that kind of thing, but you can hover somewhat

They should be Ashi or Nachi certified and licensed in the state of Florida.

I'm just finishing up my Home inspection certifications and will be licensed soon, so I am quite familiar with the process.

A home inspection will not detect a sewage backup unless it's already clogged. It is a visual inspection of the property at the time of the inspection so it won't catch everything, but will certainly catch Material or Major issues. Material issues are generally things that make the home unsafe in some fashion or have a significant adverse impact on the property value.

A major issue is something that requires a professional to repair and might be unsafe. Wires hanging out of a light switch is something I would report as a major issue but they wouldn't necessarily be a show stopper as far as a purchase goes.

The most important thing you can do is to have the right expectation going into an inspection and that your inspector has made everything clear to you up front. When the home is being inspected, speak up if he's moved out of a space and you have a question. The idea is for the buyer to not have any major surprises when they move in.

The inspection should take anywhere from 90 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the home. The major appliances if present should be tested, the GFIs should be tested, the attic insulation should be inspected, flashing, exterior, etc. The list is pretty long.

The inspector may also recommend further inspections if they see wood that appears to have been damaged or if mold appears present. It is not a mold or termite inspection and they will likely refuse to identify either beyond suggesting to you it needs further inspection.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 01-06-2023, 09:14 PM

Hawkeye Inspection Services
+1 (352) 626-2013
Closed Thread

Tags
home, inspection, seller, missed, inspections

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.