Homeowner's Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Default Homeowner's Insurance

I will be new to the Villages next month. Can anyone tell me what Insurance Company you use? Do most people in the Villages add flood insurance and/or sinkhole insurance?
Thank you for your help
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

Melfi, first, welcome to TV.
As for insurance, sinkhole coverage YES, there are only a few companies that offer this coverage, your insurance agent should be able to provide a list. Flood insurance, this is up to you, when IRMA hit there was some IMHO minor flooding, mostly roads, I do not think any homes were flooded, but if I am wrong, I am sure it will be noted here. Make sure you understand what is and what is not covered by your household insurance, and what is covered by flood insurance.
Finally, if you have a financial advisor, ask them to check out any companies recommended by your insurance agent. Last year I went with a different agent in an attempt to save some money, I did, but found out later the company I have the house insurance with was rated "D" financially so i may have had problems if I had to file a claim.
Also, make sure you use the same due diligence for your auto and golf cart insurance. Do NOT insure your golf cart under your home policy, get a separate golf cart policy.
I have not provided specific company names as this was last years info, and may have changed.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Who every you use as your agent they will use companies that write insurance in this area.Which companies can and how many policies they can write are regulated. How many they can write is based on their ability to pay in the case of a major disaster (think big hurricane).

Sink hole coverage is something you should have but beware there are two kinds, one is legally required to be provided and is normally called catastrophic coverage, the other is optional and not all will cover it, and is optional sink hole coverage that will pay even if you home is not condemned.

We went with Travelers for home and have had Geico for our auto for a long time.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Sage

We use an agent at AAA near Spanish Springs. For the home, we have had a policy with ASI since 2011. We have both overages: the standard, catastrophic ground collapse and the optional, sink hole. We don't have flood insurance. AAA also handles my auto and golf cart policies. For these, I have changed insurance companies several times because of unexpected rate increases.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 AM

this is helpful. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Villages Insurance has an office at all 3 squares. We used them when we first arrived in 2011, and we signed on with American Integrity for $505 a year for our masonry CYV. That included sink hole and catastrophic collapse. Our lot is not in a flood plain so we didn't buy that.

We've had no claims for the past 8 years and I noticed the rate went up a few times. This past July they sent a bill for $905, that was up from $797 the previous year. When I looked back, I found they had raised my rates 5 of the 8 years.

I contacted Villages Insurance and requested ASI, it's a sub of Progressive, which I heard they were fairly cheap and good. Unfortunately they're not writing any policies right now with sink hole coverage.

We ended up a company called US Coastal, it has an A rating and was only $575 for the same coverage, except sink hole was only 10% deductible whereas before it was 15% deductible. So we have better coverage for $330 less.

Financial Stability Ratings(R): Demotech
Old 08-22-2019, 01:12 AM

Hi I checked all over for Homeowners including the Villages Agency and other agencies in Lady Lake and Wildwood. We are closing on a home August 29th. What I learned is that all homeowners includes catastrophic ground collapse but that if that were to happen you would pay 10% of the home value. We are paying more than $380,000 for our home so the deductible on a catastrophic ground collapse would be $38,000 and there was no sink hole coverage for sink holes that didn't totally damage the home. The only company I found that offered sink hole coverage anywhere on our property or home even if it was not catastrophic is State Farm in Wildwood. We went to Nathan Thomas State Farm at 502 Main Street and wrote our policy with Laura Rodriguez. The sink hole deductible even if it is catastrophic and we were to lose the whole home is the same home owner insurance deductible as the other perils it is not 10% as it was with other companies. I found everyone at that office to be professional. Their phone number is 352-748-5272. We also decided to write our car insurance with them so we received a discount and are paying less for a year of homeowners and insurance on both of our cars than we paid for our homeowners alone in Chicago.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifred View Post
Hi I checked all over for Homeowners including the Villages Agency and other agencies in Lady Lake and Wildwood. We are closing on a home August 29th. What I learned is that all homeowners includes catastrophic ground collapse but that if that were to happen you would pay 10% of the home value. We are paying more than $380,000 for our home so the deductible on a catastrophic ground collapse would be $38,000 and there was no sink hole coverage for sink holes that didn't totally damage the home. The only company I found that offered sink hole coverage anywhere on our property or home even if it was not catastrophic is State Farm in Wildwood. We went to Nathan Thomas State Farm at 502 Main Street and wrote our policy with Laura Rodriguez. The sink hole deductible even if it is catastrophic and we were to lose the whole home is the same home owner insurance deductible as the other perils it is not 10% as it was with other companies. I found everyone at that office to be professional. Their phone number is 352-748-5272. We also decided to write our car insurance with them so we received a discount and are paying less for a year of homeowners and insurance on both of our cars than we paid for our homeowners alone in Chicago.
watch out for State Farm and that Office when i had a claim from a common policy holder they all ran and hid there heads.
They did not do the right thing in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Villages Insurance has an office at all 3 squares. We used them when we first arrived in 2011, and we signed on with American Integrity for $505 a year for our masonry CYV. That included sink hole and catastrophic collapse. Our lot is not in a flood plain so we didn't buy that.

We've had no claims for the past 8 years and I noticed the rate went up a few times. This past July they sent a bill for $905, that was up from $797 the previous year. When I looked back, I found they had raised my rates 5 of the 8 years.

I contacted Villages Insurance and requested ASI, it's a sub of Progressive, which I heard they were fairly cheap and good. Unfortunately they're not writing any policies right now with sink hole coverage.

We ended up a company called US Coastal, it has an A rating and was only $575 for the same coverage, except sink hole was only 10% deductible whereas before it was 15% deductible. So we have better coverage for $330 less.

Financial Stability Ratings(R): Demotech
John , did you get Coastal thru The Villages insurance? Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

Allstate offers sinkhole coverage with deductible as low as $500.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
John , did you get Coastal thru The Villages insurance? Thanks
Yes, Villages Insurance with Karen Methvin, who I believe is at SS.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, villages, people, add, flood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.