Homeowners insurance

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Default Homeowners insurance

We are closing on our house end of Jan. Has anyone heard or have any info on Tower Hill Signature Insurance Co or US Coastal P and C Insurance Co? The later offers sinkhole coverage. Thank you.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Several years ago we switched to Tower Hill when Connie Duff Wise/State Farm doubled their premium....and were not very helpful.

Tower Hill was reasonably priced and their office folks are very accommodating and responsive. I never had to process a claim so am unable to speak to it.

I have recently switched back to State Farm/Chris Semens. They were much more competitive and very responsive.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Several years ago we switched to Tower Hill when Connie Duff Wise/State Farm doubled their premium....and were not very helpful.

Tower Hill was reasonably priced and their office folks are very accommodating and responsive. I never had to process a claim so am unable to speak to it.

I have recently switched back to State Farm/Chris Semens. They were much more competitive and very responsive.
Never heard of Tower Hill. I am with State Farm/Kelly Matz.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Chubb Insurance.

Had them up North for 20 years.........with a couple good sized claims.

Have them down here.

They have some of the best paper in the industry. When it's claim time (the only reason to have insurance), all that matters is the paper.

There is are reasons you can save premium dollars in 15 minutes.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've had homeowners through The Villages Insurance Agent since my CYV was new in 2011. They had me with American Integrity up until last spring, when I noticed my annual bill went up over $100. When I looked at the history, it had gone up 5 times in 8 years and yet I had never submitted a claim, or had any contact with the insurer except for making payments.

Last April I called Villages Insurance to see what alternatives were available. She mentioned ASI, who has many policies in TV, but they were no longer offering sink hole. Then she mentioned Coastal Insurance and the rate was $410 cheaper than my current policy with American Integrity, and it included both sink hole and catastrophic collapse. So I did a google search and found they had a good rating. I switched to them last July. The only contact was they sent a photographer to our home to take photos of only the outside. So far so good, but I don't expect anything to happen unless we're hit by a hurricane, tornado, fire or sink hole.

Last edited by John_W; 01-22-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

OP, if you have a financial advisor, they should have access to a website that has ratings for insurance companies. last year one of the companies I had was actually B- rated (this is about 8 levels below the top), I went back to the broker she suggested another company, double checked with my advisor and took the new company (A+) rating about $100 more per year, with sinkhole coverage. The reason I did the check was just in case Florida gets hit with a big hurricane I wanted a company with sufficient resources to actually be able to pay my claim.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:14 AM

I just left Tower Hill. I found Progressives rates a lot better when bundling home, auto and golf cart. The home policy is with ASI/Progressive and did not offer sinkhole coverage. I guess that is a personal choice based on where you live. I am not sure it is being offered by any company however now though!
Old 01-22-2020, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmit16 View Post
I just left Tower Hill. I found Progressives rates a lot better when bundling home, auto and golf cart. The home policy is with ASI/Progressive and did not offer sinkhole coverage. I guess that is a personal choice based on where you live. I am not sure it is being offered by any company however now though!
State Farm (Chris Semens) offers a couple of sink hole options.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 AM

I have State Farm with sinkhole coverage. They sent out an inspector first.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 AM

I’m also wondering if anyone has used kin insurance. The quote that gave us is much less than American integrity. Ours went up $400 and we’ve never had a claim...very frustrating.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Use Tower Hill
Old 01-22-2020, 10:54 AM

Extended sink hole coverage is available through US Coastal. They also have very inexpensive flood coverage available compared to the government policies. While flooding is not very likely here in TVs the low price is worth the extra protection.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:53 AM

I would check their AM Best insurance rating first before taking any insurance with any company on your home.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

I have Tower Hill and just finished a claim with them for wind damage to the roof of my home. They were reasonable to deal with, easy to contact (via phone as their offices are in KY), and were fair on the settlement. We had to have our entire 20ish year old roof replaced. I will renew with them when the time comes.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've had homeowners through The Villages Insurance Agent since my CYV was new in 2011. They had me with American Integrity up until last spring, when I noticed my annual bill went up over $100. When I looked at the history, it had gone up 5 times in 8 years and yet I had never submitted a claim, or had any contact with the insurer except for making payments.

Last April I called Villages Insurance to see what alternatives were available. She mentioned ASI, who has many policies in TV, but they were no longer offering sink hole. Then she mentioned Coastal Insurance and the rate was $410 cheaper than my current policy with American Integrity, and it included both sink hole and catastrophic collapse. So I did a google search and found they had a good rating. I switched to them last July. The only contact was they sent a photographer to our home to take photos of only the outside. So far so good, but I don't expect anything to happen unless we're hit by a hurricane, tornado, fire or sink hole.
Watch out, American Integerity as of January 2019 added LIMITATIONS ON ROOF COVERAGE and raised my premium. So don’t find out the hard way, like I did, RUN DON’T WALK change to a better insurer or disregard if given an option. Choose a company, with Integrity!

Tags
insurance, coastal, signature, coverage, sinkhole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.