flooring for lanai with acrylic enclosure

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Default flooring for lanai with acrylic enclosure

We are having our lanai enclosed with acrylic windows. I need some suggestions on what would be a suitable floor covering (NOT tiles).
Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There is indoor/ outdoor carpet...but I personally don't think it is very pretty or very soft.

Since you are really enclosing the area against rain, couldn't you use regular carpeting? It weathers my scrubbing it when the kitty throws....well you know.

Wonder what others will say.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM

When we had acrylic windows installed on our lanai we looked into laminate floring but were advised against it due to possibility of too much moisture. We do have interior and exterior enclosures under the windows but they are only metal plates. We ended up getting wood plank vinyl flooring from Lowe's. It is a peel and stick product which we installed ourselves. It has a nice wood look and is easy to maintain. Your concrete floor must be even so any cracks have to be filled and sanded. It has been down now for a couple of years and we have had no problems with it.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

We had the acrylic windows installed in our lanai and initially put down indoor/outdoor carpet. We were not happy with that. We ended up having a company come in and put down a poured acrylic floor with the "sprinkles" in it. We are quite happy with that - even had our front porch done the same way at the same time. We do use a few area rugs out on our lanai but basically, it is just the acrylic floor. Four years old now and still looks great. Easy to clean. There are several good companies in TV that do this kind of work - get several estimates, look at the various designs they offer, compare prices. I think you will be happy with this type of floor. I would give you the name of the company we used but I can't locate it - it's been a few years.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Ours is floored with the same brick that is used for our drive, which gives it a rustic "outdoorsy" feeling.

Not sure what the bricks sit on - we were told sand then concrete - but when we ater our plants the water drains away immediately, yet we have never had any problem with ants etc. coming up through the gaps.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Gold member

Several of our neighbors enclosed their lanais with acrylic and then put down Chatahoochie (sp) river rock. It does require occasional resealing (but not often since it is enclosed), but looks really nice. The good thing about it is that it allows water to drain through it. That way, if you leave your windows open to keep it from getting unbearably hot in the summer and one of the regular thunderstorms comes in and dumps rain in your lanai, no damage will be done to the floor and the water drains harmlessly through the stones.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.