Village Golf Carts Beware of Service Dept.

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 PM
Default Village Golf Carts Beware of Service Dept.

Word of caution about The Villages Golf Cars in Brownwood. I took my gas cart there last week for my annual service. Technician called and said I needed a new battery and he would install one for $115. Since the battery I have is less than 2 years old, I said "no don't put in a new one" he said, "I'll put one in ok?" I repeated NO!Today I removed the battery and took it to Sams Club to purchase a new one, but the tech said let's test it first. The battery passed all tests with flying colors and they assured me I didn't need a new one. Today I called and spoke with Brian who is in charge at Goedkins. He shucked and jived and made excuses why their tester was better and maybe this maybe that,etc I had already spent 3 hours on this issue today ( I am not retired), so I got fed up and said I no longer had faith in them and likely would not do business there. He said yeah ok. Good customer service (not). So be careful of getting the shyster treatment there. I'm done with them.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

I hope Brian's boss reads this.......Brian would be gone if it were may business...........
Old 01-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Sorry for your issues, but having had my cart serviced (not to mention having accessories added) since 2014, I've had nothing but excellent service from the Brownwood location. And, not to doubt you, how do you know the Sam's tech was correct in their determination?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Bring it to Spanish Springs figure out who the top dog is and hand them a $25 Dunkin Donuts gift card. You'll never have a Getting Charged! (Battery) Again. The service is good over here. Could have been a blip at your place. I don't see them risking the Good Name of a major operation to try to clip someone on one battery. If I was gonna cheat you it wouldn't be a battery! Hope things work out for you.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

When it doesn’t turn over is the time to get a new battery.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Platinum member

Have used The Villages for years and never had an issue.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM
Sage

The batteries for gas golf carts seem to have a lifespan of 4-5 years, YMMV. When there is a delay in starting (after you depress the accelerator), then the battery needs replacing. If you have a Striker speedometer/odometer, there is a low voltage light that will flash when the battery is getting weak. If you have a Yamaha gas cart, they take a group 24 battery. You should be able to pick those up at any number of locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
When it doesn’t turn over is the time to get a new battery.

Last edited by biker1; 01-14-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Have used The Villages for years and never had an issue.
I agree
Old 01-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy n Ron View Post
Word of caution about The Villages Golf Cars in Brownwood. I took my gas cart there last week for my annual service. Technician called and said I needed a new battery he said, "I'll put treatment there. I'm done with them.
OK, thanks. Before buying our cart, I went into them, at SS and also at Sumter. Well, i caught them in many awkward and devios moves, before I finally gave them the money for a new cart. I left and will not go into any of their 3 locations. Long story, but I am sure I made a good decision. OH, by the way, after getting my Electric cart, elsewhere, I walked in there to Village carts, and asked them if I needed anything at nearly a year. OH, yes, I needed about 200 dollars of first year mandatory checkout!!!! Well, I called two mobile cart guys, briefly they both said this: Is every thing OK? Yep, so they both said, see you maybe in two years.
That gas pump seemed to bring a disease into the area.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Word of caution about The Villages Golf Cars in Brownwood. I took my gas cart there last week for my annual service. Technician called and said I needed a new battery and he would install one for $115. Since the battery I have is less than 2 years old, I said "no don't put in a new one" he said, "I'll put one in ok?" I repeated NO!Today I removed the battery and took it to Sams Club to purchase a new one, but the tech said let's test it first. The battery passed all tests with flying colors and they assured me I didn't need a new one. Today I called and spoke with Brian who is in charge at Goedkins. He shucked and jived and made excuses why their tester was better and maybe this maybe that,etc I had already spent 3 hours on this issue today ( I am not retired), so I got fed up and said I no longer had faith in them and likely would not do business there. He said yeah ok. Good customer service (not). So be careful of getting the shyster treatment there. I'm done with them.
Did you buy your cart from them? I have never felt the Villages policy is to sell you something you don't need.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Have bought three carts from Villages (Sumter) over last 7 yrs. No maintenance issues on any of them. Service department fine, except for delays in scheduling during "snow bird season".
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Real Funny

I took my cart into Sumter Landing for some batteries and their check up, etc. Picked it up and was walking out with the bill receipt and noticed I was charged for Oil change, etc. I am not a mechanic but even with my very limited mechanical abilities I know that you don't change the oil on an electric cart. Went back in and asked for the Supervisor and he said he was sorry and that I should not have been charged for an oil change. His explaintation was the mechanics had a "code" they used to charge and they used the wrong code. Oop's. No problem as I sold him a bridge in Brooklyn and we were even.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
They have been good so far on my five visits, and the prices were good. Batteries are not made to last very long in the heat in FL.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I understand your story. We had a similar situation. Our cart was diagnosed with needing a new battery and bushings. My husband was a little cautious and called another service company who came directly to our home. It turned out there was nothing wrong with either item and he felt there was no reason to charge me for a service call. I’ll
Old 02-19-2019, 10:28 PM

My experience with the Brownwood location has been top shelf....however I was only in the area for a total of two weeks...and...it was not service related.

Long story short - they provided me with a cart for three days for my visitor....no charge - during snow bird season. That’s the best customer service ever!

Tags
battery, service, today, called, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.