HVAC service...

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Default HVAC service...

First, let me state that I am new to TV, and also not completely experienced with all the vendors here. As everyone knows, there are big names, and plenty of competition in all services. I will not try to sway anyone from one vendor to another, but I will state what I experienced.

After my Mitsubishi split unit on my enclosed lanai didn't turn on(it worked when we moved in a few months ago), I called Munn's, (which was the card included with my unit's paperwork). Unfortunately, before my scheduled visit, my home unit started to act up. My home is only 7-8yrs old(2nd owner). The technician was very professional, and informative. After a bit of back and forth on troubleshooting the home unit, he was able to get it working, but asked if I wanted to get a quote for a replacement unit? I "casually" said sure, but being only 7-8yrs old, it should last much longer than now?! He then proceeded to the lanai unit(only 2-3yrs old). After troubleshooting that, and unable to get it working, he indicated there were 2 assembly units that needed replacing, and the office would call for costs and verification, and left. Sadly, I was called very shortly after, on the potential sale of a new home unit, which I did not entertain. Days later, I was called about the 2 units they wanted to replace for the lanai unit. A circuit board, and a motor assy unit(can't recall?). The system was under warranty, but parts only, not labor. They quoted $340 for labor, to replace the parts. I asked what the labor rate was, and what hours were involved? She said she didn't know, and that they were all flat rated(fixed price)? One circuit board was priced at just over $100 to replace? The next lady stated same thing. I stated I would shop around. I called a young man, who was recommended by a neighbor. I called him, and scheduled a 2nd visit, and opinion. He arrived, and immediately began his own diagnosis. He quickly was able to get my lanai unit working, and stated there were no bad assembly units from his testing. He even showed me what to look for, and explained his process. I gladly paid him his hourly fee of $70, and off he went.
Here's my issue(s)…
First, I was charged a separate rate to troubleshoot both units.
Second, I was asked about a replacement unit for my home, which was only 7-8yrs old? And this was before getting an estimate for the parts to get my unit working? Were they going to sell me something that only lasted another 7-8yrs???
Third, I was told there were TWO assembly units bad, which may have been true, but it doesn't seem normal, in my past technical experience?
Fourth, the labor costs were not labor-hour rated, and priced as if they were individually replaced?
Fifth, and finally, this young man was able to get my lanai unit working, able to explain what he was doing, and without replacing ANYTHING?!
I am now coming to the conclusion that bigger is NOT better! I will continue to give this young man business, especially since he is both a small business, and a veteran. Thanks for reading...
Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Can you give us contact information for the person who fixed you AC's?
Old 06-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I agree. I appreciate knowing who did you wrong but I am equally interested in who treated you right.
Closed Thread

Tags
unit, units, working, lanai, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.