HVAC yearly maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2021, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I change my own filter and use Munns. Only the filter needs to be checked more than one a year. They were just here a couple days ago and it was $79.
Many HVAC failures are caused by a blockage of your condensate drain line. This can occur in less than a year, especially if insects, a snake, or other animals get into the drain, which is wide open and exposed on the outside of your house. Mold and other debris can also block the drain.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:52 PM
Sage

I would suggest buying a "Drain King 345" on Amazon for $11.90 to flush out your condensate drain. You just connect it to a garden hose and stick it into your condensate pipe inside your air handling cabinet. Much more effective than adding vinegar or hot water.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Munn's was the original installer of our AC, we stayed with them and they have been exceptional to deal with. We also purchased a washable filter and clean that frequently. We also follow Munn's instructions for flushing the drainage pipe.

Many years ago we lost our AC one night during an electrical storm that took out our power. We called them and they sent an emergency crew to the house and got our AC running.

I do believe that any of the companies mentioned on this posting are very good, if you are not good you don't last too long in TV.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-24-2021, 04:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Many HVAC failures are caused by a blockage of your condensate drain line. This can occur in less than a year, especially if insects, a snake, or other animals get into the drain, which is wide open and exposed on the outside of your house. Mold and other debris can also block the drain.
I appreciate the suggestion, and they did suggestion I check it periodically - pour a gallon of water down it. The causes you suggest could happen and result in a. 100^ blockage in 24 hours. So doing it every 6 months is not enough. In fact, he suggested we pour a gallon down the drain every month. So, we put it on our schedule - about 2 1/2 minutes total. I can do that too.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:39 PM

Jeff Cabral at (352) 559-9558. Great job at reasonable price. He has a twice a year service plan that includes a clothes dryer vent cleaning!
Old 08-25-2021, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

Okay here's the scoop on the AC maintenance, DeSantis andMunns are both too highly rated reputable companies. If you use the one inch filters you should change them every one to two months it takes minutes and they cost just a few dollars depending on the mirv rating from several reliable blogs it appears you need mirv of 8-11. 11 will remove virtually all pollen and dust particles and is at least 50% better than eight but of course more expensive. The other thing you should do at least wasley is make sure the water drain pipe is cleaned with vinegar or a light solution of bleach / water followed by a flush of your hose. If you have the thick 4-inch filters some of them are washable and others may need to be replaced 3 - 6 months
Old 08-25-2021, 05:39 AM

Weuse Munns, and are happy with them. Two visits a year.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Okay here's the scoop on the AC maintenance, DeSantis andMunns are both too highly rated reputable companies. If you use the one inch filters you should change them every one to two months it takes minutes and they cost just a few dollars depending on the mirv rating from several reliable blogs it appears you need mirv of 8-11. 11 will remove virtually all pollen and dust particles and is at least 50% better than eight but of course more expensive. The other thing you should do at least wasley is make sure the water drain pipe is cleaned with vinegar or a light solution of bleach / water followed by a flush of your hose. If you have the thick 4-inch filters some of them are washable and others may need to be replaced 3 - 6 months
What does "wasley" mean?
Old 08-25-2021, 06:58 AM
Default Milking TV-ers

Quote:
I don't have any maintenance agreement at all. But, annually is not often enough to add vinegar or to flush out the condensate line. I do it every 3 months. I change the filter every 6 months. Those are really the only things you need to do, except to inspect the inside of the air handling unit and the outside coils for dirt or mold. I think it is a waste of money to pay an HVAC technician to come to your house to do anything to a system that is operating properly. They cannot prevent a breakdown. Call a technician when the system fails. Also, don't pay in advance for repair service because you will be stuck with one company who may not be available when you need them.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Change the filter, pour the vinegar down the condensate drain and check the coils. Takes about 5-10 mins total.
I think a lot of these companies make big bucks (in total, do the math) doing very little on "maintenance". It's like they either use fear and uncertainty to get TV-ers to pony up for maintenance contracts, in the hope they get some piece of mind. I agree with you, no way for them to prevent or anticipate a break down. This is life, things can and do break, no matter how much we would like to prevent it.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
We use SunshineAC. Expensive but reliable. Respond within hours to an emergency. Annual maintenance $129 I think.
The filter is very important for the quality of air inside. Very easy to change. No tools required. Should be changed every 3 months not 6 although during allergy season I changed it monthly. Filters are cheap, buy from Lowe’s or Home Depot, I bought a year’s supply.
Filters are not cheap for the houses with carrier south of 44. My house is 2 years old. They aren’t standard and cost approx 50 each cartridge type
Old 08-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
What size filter are you using? Ours has a 10X20X 4 inch filter and runs 73 dollars for 2 the last time I bought filters on Amazon. That was for a Merv 11 but they ended up sending Merv 13's which run a little more.
Those filters only need to be changed once per year.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
What does "wasley" mean?
Weekly
Old 08-25-2021, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
Filters are not cheap for the houses with carrier south of 44. My house is 2 years old. They aren’t standard and cost approx 50 each cartridge type
Try ACE Hardware for a brand called Flanders. They also sell several other brands and they know which ones will fit the Carrier units. I think the Flanders filters are about $18 for the 16x20x4 inch size and about $32 for the 19x20x4 inch. Those nominal sizes will fit most Carrier units in The Villages.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Flushing the drain with a hose is a good idea, but most condensate drains do not have a hose connection. The "Drain King 345", sold on Amazon, allows you to screw it onto a hose and push the rubber end directly into the condensate pipe. Very easy.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I don't have any maintenance agreement at all. But, annually is not often enough to add vinegar or to flush out the condensate line. I do it every 3 months. I change the filter every 6 months. Those are really the only things you need to do, except to inspect the inside of the air handling unit and the outside coils for dirt or mold. I think it is a waste of money to pay an HVAC technician to come to your house to do anything to a system that is operating properly. They cannot prevent a breakdown. Call a technician when the system fails. Also, don't pay in advance for repair service because you will be stuck with one company who may not be available when you need them.
Your circumstances may be different, but my condensate line has never been cleaned more than annually and has never presented a problem.

Tags
year, hvac, visit, maintenance, munns

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.