HVAC yearly maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't have any maintenance agreement at all. But, annually is not often enough to add vinegar or to flush out the condensate line. I do it every 3 months. I change the filter every 6 months. Those are really the only things you need to do, except to inspect the inside of the air handling unit and the outside coils for dirt or mold. I think it is a waste of money to pay an HVAC technician to come to your house to do anything to a system that is operating properly. They cannot prevent a breakdown. Call a technician when the system fails. Also, don't pay in advance for repair service because you will be stuck with one company who may not be available when you need them.

As a person who grew up in the trades, as well as having a father-in-law owning an HVAC company, I don't immediately see the need for an HVAC maintenance contract.

Then again, if you have mobility issues or just never have been a DIYer at home, there may be value and "comfort" in having someone look at your HVAC once or twice a year.

As others said, changing the filter, cleaning the drain, and inspecting the coils, are most of what it takes to maintain HVAC.

There are other things consider in my opinion -- has the flow from the vents decreased, is the temperature not maintaining as it did in other seasons, has an animal been in your attic (real thing, animals can destroy ducts in attic), has a gardener kinked your high or low pressure line from the compressor, are your outdoor coils bent? These are some of the things that can degrade your HVAC experience.

I did a maintenance agreement for a year on a previously-owned home with a 15 year old HVAC system. In each visit, I was pressured to replace the system -- even though it worked fine and they even said it worked fine. I didn't renew the contract and the unit worked for a few years longer before, inevitably, expiring.

All HVAC systems, like us Villagers, will eventually breakdown and fail.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Your circumstances may be different, but my condensate line has never been cleaned more than annually and has never presented a problem.
Until it does!
Old 08-25-2021, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't have any maintenance agreement at all. But, annually is not often enough to add vinegar or to flush out the condensate line. I do it every 3 months. I change the filter every 6 months. Those are really the only things you need to do, except to inspect the inside of the air handling unit and the outside coils for dirt or mold. I think it is a waste of money to pay an HVAC technician to come to your house to do anything to a system that is operating properly. They cannot prevent a breakdown. Call a technician when the system fails. Also, don't pay in advance for repair service because you will be stuck with one company who may not be available when you need them.
There's only ONE answer to this post and the above is 100% correct.
Any HVAC company gives service on weekends with quick respond after hours even without a service contract.

SAVE your $$$$ or adopt me........
Change the dam filter, keep the water discharge clear w/vinegar every 3 months.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Munn’s

We’ve had Munn’s Heating and Air Conditioning service our HVAC twice a year from the beginning. They were also the HVAC sub-contractor when our house was built. They serviced the furnace on one visit and the A/C on the other. Filter replacements when needed.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Don't count on Munn's to change your filter, guy came out checked everything and said everything was ok, I guess ok means he couldn't find anything to charge me for...... he never even changed the filter, I did after he left, and then I canceled the contract.
We use Munn's. They were out here a couple of weeks ago. When the appt was set up I was asked if they should bring a filter or if we had one. Cost is about the same either way so I asked them to bring one and change it, which they did.

We have been happy with their service and would recommend them.

kathy
Old 08-25-2021, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We use Munn's. They were out here a couple of weeks ago. When the appt was set up I was asked if they should bring a filter or if we had one. Cost is about the same either way so I asked them to bring one and change it, which they did.

We have been happy with their service and would recommend them.

kathy
I don't know where you buy your filters, but you can save a lot of money by buying your own filters. In my case, the Munn's filter is $50 vs the ones I buy at ACE Hardware for $18. You can save even more money by buying filters online.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

I just renewed my annual SunKool contract. They come twice a year. I check my filter monthly and usually change it whenever necessary. I check it every month and also pour water down the condensation line to be sure it’s flowing unobstructed
Old 08-25-2021, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,240 Posts

Taking this a step further, most common failure is the run/start capacitor.

The fans will run but no cooling because the compressor fails to start.

Relatively easy to change so if handy, good to have a spare on hand.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post

I agree, but I have read several checklists for regular maintenance service, and have never seen one that will replace the capacitor to prevent a future breakdown. It is interesting that the SunKool list says that they will wash and "wax" the outside unit. Really?
Old 08-26-2021, 12:55 AM

NordicPure has supplied all my filter needs for years. Their prices are normally very reasonable. Shop AC Furnace Air Filters - HVAC, Furnace and Replacement AC Filters
Old 08-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I just moved to the Villages and am finding out that some HVAC companies are changing their plans to only make one maintenance visit per year vs two. I know from experience that the filter at the very least has to be changed at least twice a year so one visit per year is unacceptable. I found Munns and Holliday are still offering twice a year visits at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts or advice on which company to go with?
AC repairman arrested with gun stolen from truck at Margarita Republic“AC repairman arrested with gun stolen from truck at Margarita Republic 8/25/21”
I’m just as concerned if A/C tech, trades people are bonded and insured and do companies actually participate in background checks.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
Jeff Cabral at (352) 559-9558. Great job at reasonable price. He has a twice a year service plan that includes a clothes dryer vent cleaning!
What does he charge? Does it include a filter?
Old 08-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post

Also Freon leaks is another common problem, low Freon go coolly.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:59 PM

Come on. The filter.
Two clips ... pop it out.
Buy new depending on the type.
My filter can be rinsed.
Do not buy paper filters. Reduced air flow equals MOLD. and the paper breeds MOLD.

Wake up. Save a buck.

Expect to pay heavily with you inability
Old 08-27-2021, 05:12 PM

The condensate line is typically occluded by water scum.

Back to science class.
Water has something called surface friction.
Add debris and dead bugs. It is a problem.
Rather tough.
back to vinegar.
Vinegar and only vinegar works best to mitigate the scum layer. If you do not, major blockages will occur.

Stop overthinking, when you decide to stop.
Ask yourself.... I have no clue what the hell I am thinking about.
Buy your vinegar. Set your phone alarm. Put it in regularaly.
Rinse your filter.

otherwise.....

Pay $100 for a dog and pony show & let some A/C repairman come dupe you.

I know what I am talking about.

Two clips. your filter is out.
Brand new $19 on amazon. Buy two.
One to use, one to clean out and dry

I even buy the capacitors.
Trust me, it takes 10 minutes.
Definitely not worth a $100 plus service call.

Electrical Engineer here. Number one service call is to change out a capacitor.
$17 on amazon
Closed Thread

Tags
year, hvac, visit, maintenance, munns

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.