Hydraulic Lift in Garage

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Default Hydraulic Lift in Garage

Has anyone had a hydraulic lift installed in the garage to access the attic? We have the attic stairs, but would like to know more about the lift, checked on line and they seem to run in $2,000 range and know some of the handymen in The Villages install them. What brand did you use?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I would really like a small lift for golf carts. I think that would fit in the existing garage if you are careful.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

If you are working on your golf cart, why not use a set of extended car ramps, should be a lot less expensive.
On a side note we have 4 cars, 2 daily drivers, and two collectables, and I am planning on contacting an architect to see if the garage ceiling can be raised a few inches to stack the cars. I know I will probably have to give up the attic storage when I do this.....I will be interesting to see what they say....
Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Sage

Didn't the OP say he wanted access to the attic? Maybe a lift would be better than climbing the stairs, which my spouse does several times a day.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Harbor Tool in Leesburg and Ocala can obtain (or stocks) electric auto lifts. Matco Tool can also supply them, but more expensive. Installation is not too difficult although it requires some drilling into the concrete floor for the four posts. Two man, three hour job if you're handy. Would easily allow you to add a flat platform for transfer of articles to your attic area over the garage. Just be sure to have enough clearance between the floor and ceiling to accommodate it. Capacity wise, no problem, they can lift a car. When I did this in Illinois 5 years ago, the cost was less than $1500.00. Don't know price now. Hope this is helpful in your consideration.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

If items going to the attic are so heavy a lift is required.............eventually the attic floor will collapse.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Didn't the OP say he wanted access to the attic? Maybe a lift would be better than climbing the stairs, which my spouse does several times a day.
He goes into the attic several times a day?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
He goes into the attic several times a day?
Man cave....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 PM

Each time I store the holiday decorations, extra TV, unused golf clubs, etc., I think about a power lift also. It's not especially the weight involved, but it is very awkward shoving large boxes (Christmas Tree is major pain) up the narrow, pull-down, steps that are currently used. If those trusses won't handle a few hundred extra pounds, the place is unsafe anyway, and why would they sheet some space and provide a light up there? Someday perhaps our builders will start considering more storage space. I'd like larger garage attics specifically designed for storage and more houses built with three car garages. Somewhat difficult adjusting to life here without my normal assortment of "toys" and a nice basement. It's like exchanging all the cars,cycles, boats, work-shop for our fantastic weather. The "majority vote" in this family favors the weather so another family meeting with her won't solve the storage problem. If I keep posting like this, I may need the "man-cave" very soon. Self-storage rental places anyone? ---Then you need a truck.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Retirement is a time to get rid of "stuff"!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Yea boogie I agree but I can't convince my wife liquidation liquidation not accumulation
Old 01-25-2015, 06:03 PM

I also wish the builders would build taller roofs above the garages so we could actually stand up in the attic storage space. Also, why can't they come up with a better attic stairs? There's nothing like holding a big box above your head while you are hanging on with your toes on the top steps of the ladder. It seems very scary to me.
We saw a couple of houses built across 466A that had an actual room built above the garage and normal stairs leading to the attic. Do not know the home style name.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If items going to the attic are so heavy a lift is required.............eventually the attic floor will collapse.
Great wisdom !!!!!!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Retirement is a time to get rid of "stuff"!
Absolutely!!!...
Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Sage

Keep in mind, folks, that unless you have trusses designated specifically "attic trusses", they are designed to support their own weight and the weight of the ceiling only. Yes, you can pack some stuff up there, but remember you're on your own if there is a collapse.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.