I found bugs in my silverware drawer

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Default I found bugs in my silverware drawer

I am new here, have asked a few people and they say even with a pest service, I will still get bugs in my drawers.

I have two small dogs so am afraid of what they might spray?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Most silverware drawers and under the counter by the stove. Food particles some how make it in the drawer, I feel that’s probably drawing The bugs. I clean mine out regularly so the don’t have potential food source there. You can only control insects coming into house you can’t eliminate them for ever, there always finding ways to get in
Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Were they silverfish (no pun intended)? I get a few of them now and then in the kitchen where they hang out in rarely opened drawers and cabinets. Call a pest control company if they appear in numbers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sometimes after a lot of rain we get tiny ants in the bathrooms. We call Deans and they know just what to do and they are very careful of our pets.

Have seen no other bugs in the over ten years here and two houses. Keep dry food items sealed and areas clean.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I see no reason why you should expect to have bugs. We did when we moved in and our guess is that they were in a box of food we purchased at the grocery store. After getting rid of them no repeat over the years.
I spray home defender once a month. Read the label and see if it is safe for your dogs. I think it is. I would spray under the sink, etc where your dogs can not get. Window sills etc if you feel you can not spray areas the dogs can get too.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysMom View Post
I am new here, have asked a few people and they say even with a pest service, I will still get bugs in my drawers.

I have two small dogs so am afraid of what they might spray?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Which drawers are you speaking of? I had bugs in my drawers once but that was 50 plus years ago and I went to the Doctor, not a Pest Service. Just kidding! Good Luck! I hate all bug's.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

We have lived here 11 years in the same house in the Village of Caroline. We do our own insect control using a product called Suspend SC. I spray every 3 months around the outside , in the garage, lanai and inside the house. Product is safe for pets if applied as directed and can be used in food prep areas.

Only insect problem we have had has been with the tiny ants called Pharoah ants. They are the ones that follow a path into and out of a house. If they find a source of food, you will find a steady stream along a path into and out of the house. The important point is to follow the trail to and from the source of food (usually very easy). Do not kill the ants during their journey. Feed them a product called Terro by putting a drop or several on their path and they will communicate with their friends to collect it and take it back to their nest. I had one infestation several years ago while we were away for several months. Had left several open sources of sugar in our cabinets that they found while we were gone. (Open sugar bag, sugar bowl etc). Since then ,we keep sugar in sealed containers and watch for telltale trails of these ants. Catch them on the outside and interrupt their travels with a drop of Terro.

11 years, no contractors, Suspend SC every 3 months and one attack from Pharoah ants. Note if you see one of these ants in your sink or elsewhere, there are more. Put out a drop of Ferro and they will share with their compatriots.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage

When we first moved here (been here 9 yrs)...we found black bugs in our pantry. That got cleaned out...wiping down the shelves etc. but still had them return. Pest control person said most like there were "eggs" in the dry products (think crackers, flour etc.) that hatched. Eeeeuuuwww!! Anyway, after that all those items get put in sealed plastic containers and no more issues since. Pest control also said, because we moved our kitchen (products) we most likely brought the insects with us. More eeeeuuuwwww!! Makes me wonder now what we ingest. We've never had bugs in the drawers though.

We've had ants off and on as well. Was told they'll come in after a hard rain. We use Terro for those.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Were they silverfish (no pun intended)? I get a few of them now and then in the kitchen where they hang out in rarely opened drawers and cabinets. Call a pest control company if they appear in numbers.
Silver fish come up though drains, hence the fish in the name
Old 01-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I had bugs in my early days in Florida. We brought with us some heirloom china wrapped in paper and packed in cardboard boxes. I had no idea that Florida bugs thrive on the glue that holds the sheets of corrugated cardboard together .... we had bugs. We used Massey and still do, they do a great job for us. With apologies to those who are their own bug companies, my other half says he has worked too hard all his life to become his own bug company.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I see no reason why you should expect to have bugs. We did when we moved in and our guess is that they were in a box of food we purchased at the grocery store. After getting rid of them no repeat over the years.
I spray home defender once a month. Read the label and see if it is safe for your dogs. I think it is. I would spray under the sink, etc where your dogs can not get. Window sills etc if you feel you can not spray areas the dogs can get too.
Pest control companies are making a killing here in the villages, we purchased 19 months ago we got quotes on using an exterminator and with the quote came a free scare tactic sales pitch from Massey it was 100% bull crap, I’ve always been a DIY guy and have sprayed every 2-3 months using home defender and have yet to have an issue with bugs.
Next time you’re out try go a few blocks without seeing a Massey truck or some othe exterminators truck. It’s a very big business here in the villages. My cost is $20.00 a year to do it myself!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:29 PM

I have never seen more chemicals used out in the open as they do here in The Villages. This cannot be good for the environment or our lungs. Not to mention the poor applicators whom i've never seen wear masks or eye protection, i think that stuff goes right into your skin too. There are some days when I'm afraid to go for a walk if there is any breeze.
Closed Thread

Tags
bugs, afraid, small, dogs, guidance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.