Insurance claims for roofs

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 03:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Have you seen the ad for ROOF MAX? It's a new system where they spray your roof with a treatment that increases the life of your roof. Will last five years and you can do it up to three times. I've seen their ad in the Villages Sun. Looks interesting and I believe the cost would be under $2,000 for most roofs here.
Roof Max quoted me $2,313 compared with a new roof at $11,907. Divide by the number of years (5 and 20-25) and it didn't seem worthwhile. The process seems to involve putting oil on the shingles, and I'm not sure I want the added fire risk!
Old 05-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Default Truth

Nothing in the insurance replacement industry happens without insurance company approval. The notion that a little roofing company can force an insurance company to pay out money is ludicrous. Everything done is governed by the state of Florida. Filing a suit against an insurance company that doesn’t follow the rules is every homeowners right. Rates will go up every year no matter what you do.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Every 2nd or 3rd house in our village is getting a new roof from the same company. The roofing company has a lawyer go after the insurance companies that don't want to replace a 20 year old roof because of bogus claims of "storm damage". I suspect every one of these homeowners will get a nice surprise when they get their next insurance bill. I just hope the insurance companies don't raise everyone's rates, including those of us who paid for our own roof.

kathy
As I replied on a similar thread, you, like me, are just going to pay for everyone's claim. Just got my renewal notice for homeowner's insurance. Cost increase to $1559 from $1080. And I bought my own roof, on my dime, two years ago.

Do you think our neighbors are at least going to take us out for a nice dinner?
Old 05-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

I have to wonder how many of these roofs will need to be replaced again in a couple of years because they were poorly installed by companies that need to go door to door to solicit business.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:39 PM

I have to wonder how many of these roofs will need to be replaced again in a couple of years because they were poorly installed by companies that need to go door to door to solicit business.

From what I have seen, ZERO.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Don't know of any "bogus" claims...... but would like to know what others think of homeowners who get new roofs on the Insurance Co.'s dime when they are at the end of their expected life span. And I mean the roof's life span - not the homeowners.
Example: In our CYV neighborhood our homes were built in 1999/2000 with 20 years roofs on them. There are now roofers going around and submitting insurance claims and doing roofing jobs. Many of us got together and had new roofs installed a couple of years ago( Thanks to 1 neighbor who did all the leg work) at a good price. Many of us knew our roofs were fine but at the end of their life expectancy. My impression is that we did the right thing and insurance claims now on 21 year old -20 year roofs- "MAY" just be bogus!
I would assume an Insurance Inspector has the expertise to determine deterioration from aging vs event damage. If your house is destroyed by an event you get your home replaced with insurance. If your roof is damaged beyond reasonable repair you get it replaced. That’s why you have insurance. For what reason would numerous different Insurance Companies payout replacements after their inspectors and in house adjusters approved the claim as reasonable event damage.
You may not be happy because so many are getting replacement, but for me the 3 step inspection provides all the legitimacy needed.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:11 PM

wj
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
As I replied on a similar thread, you, like me, are just going to pay for everyone's claim. Just got my reneithwal notice for homeowner's insurance. Cost increase to $1559 from $1080. And I bought my own roof, on my dime, two years ago.

Do you think our neighbors are at least going to take us out for a nice dinner?
You obviously have no idea how the insurance marketplace prices a risk. Do some research, read about the methods that companies use to rate the actuarial pricing before making such a ridiculous statement.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

Two people on my block just got new roofs, put on in one day and the homes are only 10 years old. I am not a roof expert, but their old roofs looks like new, and I never saw any repairs done on their roofs, even after the hurricane. I also saw an inspector checking another roof next door. I can see roofs needing replacement after 15 to 20 years, but 10 years. Something stinks.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The insurance companies are insuring the whole house, not just the roof. It makes no sense for them to refuse a claim on a roof that is not secure if doing so results in a much larger claim a few months later for water damage inside the house.

The chance of your ordinarily having to make a large claim is remote, so your $1,500 premium per year is enough for them to pay out $12,000 on a new roof every 20 years and still make a tidy profit. Don't worry - they have it all worked out.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:14 PM

Yes I have ! I live in Bonnybrook. I have American I. insurance. I was totally stunned when one after another people kept knocking on my door about a terrible storm that hit my village in Feb. I do not remember any "dangerous" or out of the ordinary storm at all and had out of state guests who never notice during their stay. Now, the roofs are going on one after another, no one I've talked to had turned in a claim of knew of a "dangerous" storm until the knocks on the doors started. Will someone PLEASE tell me what the heck is going on ? I have lived in 3 states, never had people come to my door, always had to CALL my insurance company IF I had a claim but thankfully never did. When neighbors elsewhere did have a legitimate claim (neighbors had tree fall on house once, another neighbor in another statel had water pipes burst IN the walls, and BOTH had to CALL their insurance companies, etc.) My friends a few years back here in T V's, experienced this too, probably 5 years now, pounding on doors in their village, talking about the "bad storm", offering to "assist" them in getting a FREE roof ? Does that mean "assist" them in insurance fraud ?? What is all this anyway, can someone tell the truth. Have any of you done this and then found in a year, or two, you get a 20, 30, 40% increase in premiums ? I just don't "get it" and have never experiences anything like this... is it a "Florida thing ?" Help ! ! Everyone around here is just saying "don't be foolish" get your free roof too, we are, we signed up ! ?

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 05-28-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: to make word plural
Old 05-28-2020, 03:19 PM

WOW ! Who would ever think ! Do they ever then RAISE your annual premiums ??
Old 05-28-2020, 03:40 PM

My thought EXACTLY. I listen to a DETAILED explanation of roofing... all the techniques, nail strips, how many nails to a strip, how each peak or gable must be done and the MANY ways to cut corners because most people only look at a roof like a new "sweater or shirt", "it's really PRETTY, so I want it and it must be fine). So I called my son who is NOT a roofer, but last two years of high school AND in college worked EXTREMELY hard dirty jobs of a roofing contractor. He just laughed and said if he lived "to be 100, he would not run out of ways to explain to me how many poor roofing techniques exist ! Didn't give me much hope of knowing what to do. Will soon be the only person on block without a new roof.... and I just can't take another 65% increase in premiums for this American Integrity ! My "agent" just shrugged, said, hey, rates go UP even though you have not ever filed a claim ! Like, "oh well, not my problem" ??? Nice guy.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:16 PM

Amen Amen and..... AMEN ! Too good to be true ? FREE roof ? And even in a community of all adults, it sure looks like people believe someone peddling door to door (?) free roofs is perfectly normal ? What do I know, nothing about the subject but in my life in several states and neighborhoods never experienced any think like it after a REAL SERIOUS actual "storm". I am confused for sure !
Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 PM

"Cost increase to $1559 from $1080. "

Entirely and utterly anecdotal.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:59 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
My thought EXACTLY. I listen to a DETAILED explanation of roofing... all the techniques, nail strips, how many nails to a strip, how each peak or gable must be done and the MANY ways to cut corners because most people only look at a roof like a new "sweater or shirt", "it's really PRETTY, so I want it and it must be fine). So I called my son who is NOT a roofer, but last two years of high school AND in college worked EXTREMELY hard dirty jobs of a roofing contractor. He just laughed and said if he lived "to be 100, he would not run out of ways to explain to me how many poor roofing techniques exist ! Didn't give me much hope of knowing what to do. Will soon be the only person on block without a new roof.... and I just can't take another 65% increase in premiums for this American Integrity ! My "agent" just shrugged, said, hey, rates go UP even though you have not ever filed a claim ! Like, "oh well, not my problem" ??? Nice guy.
My husband who has done roofing said he would not allow most of the roofers he has seen near our roof.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, company, roof, pay, integrity

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.