Internet cable problem

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Default Internet cable problem

I recently bought an older previously owned home in the Villages. Perhaps the last owner, perhaps someone earlier than them altered the internal in house wiring of the internet cables to the point they are unusable. My question is: who do I hire to replace/repair them? Electrician/cable professional? I have not a clue. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

If you plan to subscribe to Xfinity or another cable TV service, I would have them visit your house first to determine where you actually need cables installed. In some cases, they may be able to use wireless cable boxes. Also, you want to select a good location for your modem/router. You will probably need to hire an electrician to install some cabling. It is best to hire an electrician who specializes in TV cables, because it is more difficult to install than regular house wiring.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Are you talking about cable TV type cabling (round typically black in color) or Ethernet cable (typically blue with 8 small color coded wires). The reason I ask, cable TV wiring maybe repairable by cutting of the damaged end, correctly stripping the end and installing a new connector and extension cable. Ethernet cables typically cannot be spliced or repaired.
This is all low voltage wiring, and you should be free to have a handyman or electrical company repair or replace. The cable TV companies, at one time, would run new wiring outside the house and through the wall to the inside, have not seen that here, so not sure what they are doing now. If you just need internet in your house, you may be able to go wireless with a suitable router. This approach will not work with all TV or the associated tuners.
Hope this helps, send me a PM if you would like to discuss the damage further.
Also, there will be a variation in the quality of work you get, as most of the electrical companies use sub contractors, some very good, some not so good.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
I recently bought an older previously owned home in the Villages. Perhaps the last owner, perhaps someone earlier than them altered the internal in house wiring of the internet cables to the point they are unusable. My question is: who do I hire to replace/repair them? Electrician/cable professional? I have not a clue. Thank you in advance.
I little more info would help.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Just call your cable provider
Old 01-31-2020, 10:12 PM

Give Paul a call at (352) 255-5211. He put in cable for my surround sound ... Good luck!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

I would call the cable TV provider to determine where you need to run the cable. You may be able to use wireless cable boxes in some locations. Also, you want to select a good location for the modem/router. I don't think most cable TV providers will install cables inside your house, especially if you want to run the cable in the wall. When hiring an electrician, it is better to hire one who specializes in coax cable installation because it is very different from regular house wiring. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:58 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Just call your cable provider

Agree. They will confirm signal quality to the house and then to your outlets within the house. They will only fix issues outside the house, but this will identify the location of the issue FREE OF CHARGE.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Get rid of the cable box and cable wiring. Go with a smart tv, roku and streaming tv. you get more options and still will have tv as long as you have the internet, and you can switch add subtract streaming packages at will

cable boxes are the next buggy whips and typewriters
Old 02-02-2020, 06:23 AM

Cable history..antenna plus Amazon fire stick.. live stream every channel..even the redzone as needed through external tv
Old 02-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Good response . nothing more to be said!!!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
I would think you should call cable TV company. If it isn’t electrical I wouldn’t think an electrician would fix a TV that’s getting electricity or the cable company would come in & see why one of your appliances isn’t getting electricity. That’s about as simple as I can explain it. Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Default Internet cables

Quote:
Before you go to far - check the box in the garage where the cables start. Make sure they are plugged in / connected. I currently only have I run turned on in my home, not all it may be that simple.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The couple who hosted the Super Bowl party have Comcast for their primary TV supplier because they just singned up for them when they moved here and had them in the North before.

At the beginning of the 3rd quarter boom boom. Comcarap crapped out on them with a house full of people half watching the 65 inch TV in the living room and the other watching the coolest 140 inch protection TV in the Theatre. The Comcast CONTRACTOR not a COMPANY PERSON was there for 3 hours running wires the day before.

Within 10 minutes I brought my backup Roku Stick signed onto my account to thunderous applause of all in attendance. I put that baby in the glove compartment of the Golf Cart when we left just in case. They are the nicest people and I'm sorry to see them get so upset like they did. Some people bailed out and went home the minute it happened which worked out just fine. More room and grub for us.

I thought I was screwed and the Roku wasn't gonna work cause under pressure I forgot the hit the Caps Lock when entering my Pass a Word. What a great time.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Get rid of Comcast. Best advice you'll get in 2020.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.