Internet Provider

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Logdog, is that for the "economy" internet service from Comcast that is $24.99 if you have another service?

If it only went up $10, that's not too bad. Although I've never actually inquired I just thought it would be more expensive to only have internet with them.

My husband wants to switch to DirectTV, but the internet has been holding us back because I don't want to switch to CenturyLink.
Yes, the economy service from Comcast is $25 if bundled with another service or $35 if standalone. It's 1.5 mb. I believe CenturyLink offers a cheaper/slower speed but I was comparing prices for similar speeds in my original post. I would not want anything slower than 1.5 mb.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Oh boy. I'm spoiled then. I currently live in Northern Va and purchased a home in Pennecamp in March - to which my wife and I will make a triumphant migration in Jan 2013!

In VA I have Verizon FIOS, which is awesome! I had DTV for years because it had better HD and Sunday NFL ticket, but, I switched to FIOS when it became available because the picture is better and I have had 0 service disruptions in 3 years. Internet is hyperfast compared to what ya'll are talking about (I have the new 35mb FIOS Internet).

I read the 1.5mb speed and almost stroked out -you have to be kidding. I'm an IT Security professional, so I know a good bit about networks and achievable speeds and these speeds of 6 & 1.5 sound almost archaic to my ears.

Anyway , I guess I'll have a big adjustment to make when I come down. *sigh*
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Carolyn View Post
Oh boy. I'm spoiled then. I currently live in Northern Va and purchased a home in Pennecamp in March - to which my wife and I will make a triumphant migration in Jan 2013!

In VA I have Verizon FIOS, which is awesome! I had DTV for years because it had better HD and Sunday NFL ticket, but, I switched to FIOS when it became available because the picture is better and I have had 0 service disruptions in 3 years. Internet is hyperfast compared to what ya'll are talking about (I have the new 35mb FIOS Internet).

I read the 1.5mb speed and almost stroked out -you have to be kidding. I'm an IT Security professional, so I know a good bit about networks and achievable speeds and these speeds of 6 & 1.5 sound almost archaic to my ears.

Anyway , I guess I'll have a big adjustment to make when I come down. *sigh*
Don't worry I don't think you'd gag on Comcast's top speed. Do a search on this site and you'll see that some have posted speed numbers that will suit your needs. I know here in MA I get Comcast speeds of 17 (down) and 6 (up). I would think FL Comcast would be no different. Not quite true fiber speed like FIOS but good enough for 99.99% of all apps.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

Like I said, I have the economy stand-alone service. 1.5 mb means waiting about a second to load a page. Since I'm retired, I've got the time.

Comcast has a performance service which is 6 mb for about $60 and performance plus at 16 mb for about $70 per month stand-alone.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Is anyone using the mobile hotspot or a USB modem from Verizon? We were thinking of trying that since we are only in TV for 6 mos, we could prepay month to month and not have a 2yr contract.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Sage

I used a 4G LTE Verizon USB during my last visit. Worked great.

You might even be able to use it as a wireless hub but I do not have the equipment to try that. Would be nice though. I think that's the direction of the future.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Gold member
Default internet

We have Century Link and it is smoking fast.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
We have Century Link and it is smoking fast.
Century Link DSL has about three speeds for different prices. Do you know what level you are on? When I am in TV, I have the basic 1.5 MB service, and it's just adequate compared to my 12 MB Comcast service at home.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Gold member

We pay $5 a month more for 10MB and it is faster than our satellite service was that we had in New Mexico.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
We pay $5 a month more for 10MB and it is faster than our satellite service was that we had in New Mexico.
Sounds good. I'll look into an upgrade.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI, Livonia, Ann Arbor, Fairbanks AK. Last stop to be TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakel View Post
I found a way to use my Verizon android based smart phone to tether my laptop using pdanet...worked decent while I was visiting The Villages last week. Not fast like cable, and it was a little tricky, but it is portable, and works wherever you can get phone service. There is a yearly charge, you can check the website, I was using the free trial period, and am now back on Comcast at home. Hope to drop High speed modem and the high costs, and be portable.
Just a caution, and slightly off topic for this thread, but... the carriers, (verizon especially) are really trying to crack down on tethering. They want you to buy the data package. You might get by if you keep the data use at a low level as it might not trigger their 'flags'. Personally I think that since I have purchased a data package with my phone, it is irrelevant whether I choose to 'display' it on a phone or a laptop , but verizon doesn't see it that way.

You can't laugh at the same things again and again, but why do you keep crying over the same things again and again
"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade"
Personally, I'll go for a Tom Collins.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Currently a comcast and would love to drop them. However, there is no other game in town. Went to Century Link yesterday and the best they good do was a maximum 1.5 mb. Way to slow for me. Our area does not have any higher speed and no guess when or if they will increase.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM

doccrocker: how does one "tether" our smartphone (droid) to a laptop? Don't suppose Verizon would tell me how....????
Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwcww View Post
doccrocker: how does one "tether" our smartphone (droid) to a laptop? Don't suppose Verizon would tell me how....????
i am soooooo very torn between upgrading to a 4g cell phone or an ipad2 that i have further complicated my technical life and just begun to research tethering which is available thru my cell phone provider for $15/mo above and beyond any talk/internet plan. so i googled the topic and came up with this variety of article research:
http://www.google.com/search?sclient...=Google+Search

i'll plow thru the reading whenever i can't sleep at nite!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 PM

I can't believe that TV does not have Verizon DSL available. We were hoping to hook up with them in FLA, have it here in PA and happy with it. Having a hard time deciding which way to go, don't want a yearly contract since we will be there only 6mos.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.