Internet services

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2020, 07:18 AM
Default CenturyLink

I live in LaBelle and have service with CenturyLink at 65 month for life but no contracts. Lucky to have fiber and upload and download speeds range from 120 to over 300. Very fast.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
We recently moved to TV of Charlotte. We got HughesNet as our internet provider. Big mistake, it was installed 1/31 & we have had our 2nd service call to no avail. We are supposed to get 25mbps, but that is very sporadic. We can’t get amazon or Netflix or restart a movie on direct tv. They didn’t bother to tell us that the speeds wouldn’t work very well for streaming. Now we have a 24 month contract that I am trying to cancel without a penalty. Does someone have any recommendations for a reliable internet provider?
We use Spectrum usually they are really good. The last week or two it is intermittent and yesterday didn’t work at all. I called them last night they said they have been having issues the last couple of weeks but are working on it. Maybe there’s something else going on. Just weird it’s happening the same time you are having issues. Maybe not related.
Just a thought.69.00/month
Old 02-25-2020, 07:26 AM

We both "telecommute" and must have reliable internet access.

Xfinity

has been both reliable and fast.

We did experience one hiccup. Upon renewal of their special pricing for new users, Xfinity jacked our monthly bill. I called and complained. The CSR related that we need to call a month or so before each renewal phase and the rate will be adjusted back to the special offer rate.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

"Compare to Comcast, where you can get 60mbps for the same $50, "

Must be nice. I just dropped Comcast because they were charging me $97. I went to a "bonded" line from CenturyLink for $49 per month. I get a consistent 35-38 mb.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Might also check into Spectrum....easier to deal with than Comcast and pricing competitive. No contract.
I think spectrum will buy out an existing contract.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 AM

We live just south of 466A, tried Spectrum 1G (overshoot due to work) but on weekends couldn’t stream a movie or connect to workplace. Tried Centurylink fiber optic at 100 DSL and cannot complain, already almost a year with them and still no regrets.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:31 AM
theruizs

We had Comcast for the first year here (2012) and it was a nightmare. Switched to Brighthouse and it was awesome. They were bought out by Spectrum and the internet service is still excellent. Comcast has apparently gotten better, likely due to more competition. Whatever you do, if you want to stream, don’t settle for less than 100Mbps service. Keep in mind that you will not get 100% of whatever Mbps you get 100% of the time.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:34 AM

I cut the cable about a year ago. Moved to CenturyLink from xfinity. 80 MB/sec at $45/month with paperless billing. I think I have reset (powered down) the router twice in that year.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage

Streaming video services such as Netflix have modest bandwidth requirements. For example, 1080p Hi-Def from Netflix consumes about 3-5 megabits per second. 4K streaming from Amazon Prime consumes about 15 megabits per second. Modest internet bandwidth services, such as 40 megabits per second, is more than enough for streaming a couple of shows at the same time. My wife and I used to stream 1080p Netflix on two different sets with a 10 megabit per second service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
We had Comcast for the first year here (2012) and it was a nightmare. Switched to Brighthouse and it was awesome. They were bought out by Spectrum and the internet service is still excellent. Comcast has apparently gotten better, likely due to more competition. Whatever you do, if you want to stream, don’t settle for less than 100Mbps service. Keep in mind that you will not get 100% of whatever Mbps you get 100% of the time.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 AM

Xfinity. A little pricey, but it works.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:06 AM

Our company used Hughes Net years ago when that was the only high speed available in some areas. Our experience was the same as yours. I went from DSL to Spectrum to bundle phone, internet and TV last December. They promised I could keep my phone number as I work from home. After installation, they told me my old number could not be "ported". L:uckily I had not cancelled my phone with my old carrier. The TV quit the first day as did the internet. After 4 days of sporadic TV and internet service, I cancelled them. I went back to Dish TV and Century Link for DSL and phone. No problem since switching back. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to esteelenov

We also have Comcast Internet (only) and are happy with it. I believe it is the fastest available here. We stream on all 3 of our TVs as well as using on our computers and phones, and have had no problems. You might want to check out the "Cord Cutters Club" for additional information and advise. We use Fire Sticks on our TVs.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Agree.

Great service.............if you want, you can walk in Wildwood and talk to a live body.
I agree
Old 02-25-2020, 09:24 AM

As can be seen below, television service in TV can be a challenge. We currently use Comcast and it is love/hate. I currently view a large number of "special/streaming/ networks and channels. I use the Comcast applications and also access them directly from the internet using one of my televisions browser feature. However; the internet feeds occasionally (twice per every three weeks) do go down and/or freezes as does the cable service itself. I then enter troubleshoot mode and correct most of the issues myself. My point is that even though my experience is with Comcast, I am sure there will be issues with any of the approaches you select.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Comcast is expensive but we love it
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, provider, speeds, direct, didn’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.