Irrigation system inspection

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2022, 12:31 PM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister
Angry Irrigation system inspection

I desperately need someone who can inspect my irrigation system.....sub-terrarium. Each month my water bill from North Sumter has been rising, occasioned most from irrigation water. I have not changed my watering pattern in years, so it cannot be from my using more water. I have visually check the entire irrigation system to determine if I was losing water from a missing head.....everything checked out correctly.

My latest water bill exceeded $400.00, $142 of which was for irrigation.

I have had them come out and recheck the meters and they say that the meters are reading correctly. Therefore, I must be losing water through an underground break.

Please contact me: genem9191939@gmail.com

HELP!
Old 10-02-2022, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

I’ve heard some good things about these guys.

ACI Irrigation

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-02-2022, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

Mike Scott Plumbing is very reputable. They fixed an outdoor broken pipe just inside the meter. They do quality work and affordably.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
I desperately need someone who can inspect my irrigation system.....sub-terrarium. Each month my water bill from North Sumter has been rising, occasioned most from irrigation water. I have not changed my watering pattern in years, so it cannot be from my using more water. I have visually check the entire irrigation system to determine if I was losing water from a missing head.....everything checked out correctly.

I have had them come out and recheck the meters and they say that the meters are reading correctly. Therefore, I must be losing water through an underground break.

HELP!
$142. For irrigation sounds reasonable. $250 for usage of inside water sounds way over the top. Is there water in your irrigation box? We use Joe Tucker (352)430-5615
Old 10-02-2022, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Had terrible experience with Massey. Over a year they sent 6 different guys all doing it different and refused to call and make appt so I could see what they were actually doing.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:19 AM

Things you can do now. All free. (1) Look at your water meter and record the reading. Use no water and come back later to see if the number has gone up. If it did then you have an underground leak. (2) Inspect your system. Turn on your irrigation and look at every head. Are they spraying correctly? Other than an obviously missing head, any shooting out more water then others like them? (3) Compare with others. What is your water usage in gallons? Talk to your neighbors and ask them what their usage is. Are you significantly higher? Compare your watering schedules and operating durations. (4) Check your controller. You may not have made changes, but have you looked to see that it hasn't failed in some way causing it to operate differently than you expect? Perhaps a lightning strike messed up its programming. You could set the start time to run in the morning so you can monitor if it is operating correctly.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister
Red face Thank you all.........y'all

I am going to systematically try each of the suggestions offered and I thank each of you for your advice.

First step.....I have inspected the controls and all were set as originally done; however, I have now reduced the time for each zone drastically and will see what results that has.

Second....I will check the numbers on the meters when not running water.

Lastly....If nothing else works, I will contact Mike Scott Plumbing. They have done work for me in the past, but I didn't know they also could inspect the in-ground irrigation piping.

Again.....thank you, each of you, and have a wonderful and blest day.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I’ve heard some good things about these guys.

ACI Irrigation
We had ACI completely re-do our irrigation system in 2020.
We now have them on a bi-annual maintenance check to keep the system at peak performance.
They are reasonable...reliable....responsive.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:29 AM

I use ACI. A little expensive but they know what they are doing. I signed up for their every 3 month system check plan and they run and inspect t my system. They charge $50 for that plan which is for the inspection and minor adjustments. Anything else they find is extra charge. The plan works really good if you are a snowbird.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

There are quite a few companies or individuals who inspect and make necessary repairs on irrigation systems. My neighbor does it himself using parts purchased at Home Depot. I chose to have inspections done 2-3 times a year by Water Wizard (352) 753-5974. Massey Services (352) 748-9189. also provides irrigation system maintenance.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 424 Posts

I would consider $250+ for potable water in one month to be way over the top. Based on the water rates in our district, that would come out to over 20,000 gallons used. Are you filling a large pool?
Old 10-04-2022, 08:52 AM

It sounds like you have an inside water leak or a teenage daughter. I would get a a water pressure gage and put it on an outside faucet. Then turn off the water to the house and see if there is any pressure drop. If the system doesn't hold a steady pressure you have a leak inside the house. A toilets are a common leak source as well as reverse osmosis systems.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
Things you can do now. All free. (1) Look at your water meter and record the reading. Use no water and come back later to see if the number has gone up. If it did then you have an underground leak. (2) Inspect your system. Turn on your irrigation and look at every head. Are they spraying correctly? Other than an obviously missing head, any shooting out more water then others like them? (3) Compare with others. What is your water usage in gallons? Talk to your neighbors and ask them what their usage is. Are you significantly higher? Compare your watering schedules and operating durations. (4) Check your controller. You may not have made changes, but have you looked to see that it hasn't failed in some way causing it to operate differently than you expect? Perhaps a lightning strike messed up its programming. You could set the start time to run in the morning so you can monitor if it is operating correctly.
You might also want to check your rain sensor. If it no longer stops the system from watering, it can cost you. If you have a multimeter, or know someone who has one, the standard Hunter and Orbit controllers will show a short across the rain sensor connection terminals when the system is not preventing the system from watering. If it shows an open, the system has stepped in to prevent watering. For your concern, need to check after a good rain to see if it has stepped in to prevent watering.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post

HELP!
Reedy’s Reliable Service. 352-445-9823 also 352-875-8907. ReedysReliable@gmail.com. Licensed & Insured.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, irrigation, system, correctly, meters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.