Jetted tub repair

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Sage
Default Jetted tub repair

We have a Koehler jetted tub in our master bath. Recently, the actuator switch quit working, so, the jets won't come on. The motor seems to be trying to work, so, it seems to be the actuator or lack of vacuum in the tube.

Anyway, Mike Scott originally installed it but does not service it. Kiley laughed when I called them and said they could do trial and error to try to fix it but good luck. T&D and Tri County Spa don't work on indoor tubs. There is an authorized Koehler rep in Ocala but they offered no guarantee. I ordered a new actuator switch for my model but the product that arrived didn't match what was already installed...grrrr.

So, my question is...has anyone had local experience getting an inside jetted tub repaired? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, in advance, for your help and expertise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I good electrician or handyman may be able to help. If the motor is humming (aka trying to start), there may be a component called a 'starting capacitor' that has failed. This could be mounted directly on the motor, or very close by, and usually has slip terminal connections. I have had these fail on various devices over the years, usually fairly easy to replace, IF, you can get to the motor, etc. The tub should have one or more removable panels (front or side) to allow access to the various components that need maintenance. Typically, switches either work or do not work, if they work, the motor starts, if not, there is no noise, and no attempting to start, this is why I think the motor starting capacitor has failed. When these fail, the motor will not start and tends to just hum, it may eventually trip the internal overload device.
Hope this helps, send me a PM with your phone number if you would like to discuss further.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:24 AM
Sage

Tinker,

Thanks for the reply and tip on the capacitor....that is a possibility.

The motor doesn't really hum when the switch is pushed. More like a lawn mower when you pull the cord and the motor tries to start, a short sound of life. One thing I read said the air vacuum that has to be in the tube might have been compromised. It's all new to us!!!

There is an access panel on the outside wall that gives good access to the motor, not so easy access to where the switch and tubing is.

I'm hoping someone here knows a company or handyman who could give an accurate and reasonable diagnosis.

Regards,

villages07
Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

AH! With the additional info, you may be correct that the switch is making momentary contact. This could be a leak, a bad diaphragm at either the switch you push, or the switch that turns on the motor.
Try going to either Google or YouTube with the make and model of your unit, and you may find complete instructions to fix as well as suppliers for parts.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 PM

There is a very small air line the use to start the motor thru a relay.
Could be any of the above. This keeps electricity away from you and water.
Closed Thread

Tags
actuator, jetted, switch, tub, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.