Jewelry design do not do business with them

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Thumbs down Jewelry design do not do business with them

This summer I had my wedding ring enlarged at Jewelry Design, it has 10 diamonds and a solid piece of onyx in the center. I picked it up paid over $200 and within a 50 day period I noticed that my onyx was cracked and glued. I went back and spoke to the owner JAY GULATI who said he would not fix it because I could not prove he broke it.

I told him I would be back when it broke, and he would have to fix it.

Well on December 17 (thursday) it broke and started falling apart, so we went to Jewelry Design. I spoke to the nice lady and explained they enlarged the ring and cracked the onyx and when it broke I told JAY GULATI that I would be back so he could fix it.

She went in the back of the store ( behind a closed curtain) and came back out with a nasty attitude and said Jay was on the phone. "no problem" I said "we can wait." to which she replied...."Its long distance, it would take a while."
"no problem I said... we will wait"
The nasty clerk said, "he could be an hour"
"no problem ... my husband and I will wait."

I set my timer and it was over 10 minutes and I told the clerk if he doesn't come out in the next ten minutes... " I will call my lawyer."
After 20 minutes as Jay sat in the back losing clients to avoid us, he comes flying out behind the closed drapes pointing at me with looks to kill and said.
"Call the lawyer."
My husband said, "Jay this is no way to conduct business, you just need to talk to us."
After 5 more minutes, out comes JAY GULATI , HE SAYS; "Don't you ever threaten me, don't you ever threaten me. You simply had the leave the ring and I would look it up in the records. You got 10 mintues to get out of my store because I am calling the police."

OMG we have owned in The Villages for 10 years, we are law abiding people and he was crazed...

I said to my husband .. what do you want to do? He said, "lets wait 10 minutes and see if the police come." Ok... I said.

Then 2 minutes later JAY GULATI come flying out behind the red curtain, crazed even more than before, ... he was pointing his finger at my face and saying, " Don't you ever threaten me, don't you ever threaten me, I won't deal with you, I won't deal with you....him I will deal with , but I won't deal with you.

WE decided we would tell as many people as we can because you don't want to do business with a company that doesn't stand by their work and treats their clients like dog do.

Mind you I am 5 feet tall.. he is 6 ft... he was wrong, rude, un business like and should not ever be allowed to have a store in The Villages.

Please share and lets not support a business who knows nothing about how to treat a customer let alone a human being.

I will get it fixed ...not by him and I will go to court and try to have him pay, at least he should give me my money back.

DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH JEWELRY DESIGN NEAR BELKS AND DO NOT DEAL WITH JAY GULATI
Old 12-20-2015, 11:50 PM
Thumbs down beware of jewelry design in the villages florida

this is what owner JAY GULATI SAYS ON HIS WEBSITE.....

“I’m fortunate to be in a business that allows me to make people happy on a daily basis”, says Jay, “and grateful to have so many customers become good friends over the years.”

guess he didn't want me as a customer, certainly not a satisfied one.

I would not recommend them for any thing ...jewelry repairs forget it , they don't stand by their work. They broke my ring while they enlarged it and he threatened to call the police if my husband and I didn't leave his store...

really?

Last edited by Bellavita; 12-20-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Eternal Member

Wow!

I never post when I am angry. Nothing good happens.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:50 AM

You can go to Seniors vs Crime before you go to court. That would be my first step. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post
This summer I had my wedding ring enlarged at Jewelry Design, it has 10 diamonds and a solid piece of onyx in the center. I picked it up paid over $200 and within a 50 day period I noticed that my onyx was cracked and glued. I went back and spoke to the owner JAY GULATI who said he would not fix it because I could not prove he broke it.

Well on December 17 (thursday) it broke and started falling apart, so we went to Jewelry Design. I spoke to the nice lady and explained they enlarged the ring and cracked the onyx and when it broke I told JAY GULATI that I would be back so he could fix it.

She went in the back of the store ( behind a closed curtain) and came back out with a nasty attitude and said Jay was on the phone. "no problem" I said "we can wait." to which she replied...."Its long distance, it would take a while."
"no problem I said... we will wait"
The nasty clerk said, "he could be an hour"
"no problem ... my husband and I will wait."

I set my timer and it was over 10 minutes and I told the clerk if he doesn't come out in the next ten minutes... " I will call my lawyer."
After 20 minutes as Jay sat in the back losing clients to avoid us, he comes flying out behind the closed drapes pointing at me with looks to kill and said.
"Call the lawyer."
My husband said, "Jay this is no way to conduct business, you just need to talk to us."
After 5 more minutes, out comes JAY GULATI , HE SAYS; "Don't you ever threaten me, don't you ever threaten me. You simply had the leave the ring and I would look it up in the records. You got 10 mintues to get out of my store because I am calling the police."

OMG we have owned in The Villages for 10 years, we are law abiding people and he was crazed...

I said to my husband .. what do you want to do? He said, "lets wait 10 minutes and see if the police come." Ok... I said.

Then 2 minutes later JAY GULATI come flying out behind the red curtain, crazed even more than before, ... he was pointing his finger at my face and saying, " Don't you ever threaten me, don't you ever threaten me, I won't deal with you, I won't deal with you....him I will deal with , but I won't deal with you.

WE decided we would tell as many people as we can because you don't want to do business with a company that doesn't stand by their work and treats their clients like dog do.

Mind you I am 5 feet tall.. he is 6 ft... he was wrong, rude, un business like and should not ever be allowed to have a store in The Villages.

Please share and lets not support a business who knows nothing about how to treat a customer let alone a human being.

I will get it fixed ...not by him and I will go to court and try to have him pay, at least he should give me my money back.

DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH JEWELRY DESIGN NEAR BELKS AND DO NOT DEAL WITH JAY GULATI
Be prepared for the onslaught by the protectors of the kingdom.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am no protector of the kingdom (other than my own), and certainly sorry that a situation like this ever happens...for no one is a winner. That said, the way the OP went about this, he/she should protect themselves just in case the owner of the establishment decides to take legal action against them. The OPs case would be very hard to prove in court...especially since a 50 day time lapse expired after they re-took possession of the jewelry.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Eternal Member

I have to say, I have been going to Jay & Bobby ever since they opened in the Villages. I had a lot of weight loss so none of my rings fit. They sized about 10 rings for me. I have had a couple of old chains fixed. We have bought jewelry, watches and my musical clock there. I think they are awesome people.
Sorry to hear OP had a problem.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Sage

Unless you can prove what you said-If I was in the situation f the business owner -be prepared to get sued--your defense costs will be a lot more than the value of your ring.

Be very careful with personal unprovable accusations in these litigious times.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post

Before the alleged, furious behavior began on his part, this statement tells everything about what he "owed" you.

"[he] said he would not fix it because I could not prove he broke it".

How does anyone know what kind of accidental damage could have been done to it between picking it up from the store and then going back about the cracked stone??

What happens after the car accident is why police are called to accident scenes! Nobody knows once the cars are driven or hauled away what additional damage might accidentally or purposely be done that insurance and owners would have to pay for.

Beyond that, I would never trust a soft stone like onyx to hold up under pressure:

Gemstone Hardness
Old 12-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Gold member

Didn't you look at it closely when you picked the ring up,
you must have looked at it when you checked the new fit!
And 50 days is a long time to have pass!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

This is a rather unfortunate incident all the way around.
I'm not knowledgeable about jewelry, but I suspect it is probably difficult to break a stone when just resizing a ring.
I'm also not a lawyer, but to my understanding, libel requires 3 elements
1) the statements are untrue
2) the statements damage the libeled party
3) there was intent

Given the forum for your post and the way it was worded, intent would seem to be an open and close issue
Given the client base of a jeweler in TV and the reach of this forum, damages should be easy to assess
Therefore, I hope that your story, as related on this forum is 100% true and accurate, otherwise I hope you have deep pockets if this business owner institutes a legal action. And there is no shortage of lawyers in Florida. I hope this gets worked out without escalating further. As one Supreme Court Justice once stated "Freedom of speech does not give you the right to shout "fire" in a crowded movie theater"

Last edited by golfing eagles; 12-22-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage

Thanking you Golfing Eagles- the OP is about to learn a big leason-open mouth on a public forum insert foot- and go bankrupt.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 PM

The OP did not state the manner in which the ring was "enlarged". It would be interesting to know if a choice was discussed for it to be done by "stretching" or actually adding a piece to the lower portion of the mounting, away from the stones. Depending upon how much "enlargement" is needed, the safer (but more expensive) method is to add metal to the band to avoid metal fatigue. Stress cracks due to stretching may not appear immediately. If this was discussed initially, and the potential for stress cracking detailed, how can the jeweler be blamed? If not at least discussed verbally, I'd not return for future re-sizing, but to publish libelous statements so quickly seems very imprudent. The legal outcome could make the value of the ring insignificant. It's a ring, not the winning lottery ticket.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I am no protector of the kingdom (other than my own), and certainly sorry that a situation like this ever happens...for no one is a winner. That said, the way the OP went about this, he/she should protect themselves just in case the owner of the establishment decides to take legal action against them. The OPs case would be very hard to prove in court...especially since a 50 day time lapse expired after they re-took possession of the jewelry.
how can the jeweler prove that the OP is the same person who wrote on this forum....could be someone acting as the OP...

I think a lawsuit is far fetched....

This forum is for the good the bad and the ugly and everything should be written and read keeping that in mind...
Old 12-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Jewelry design do not do business with them

Too late my friend, you own this one. Chalk it up to sh*t happens and move on.

Last edited by RickeyD; 12-22-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
jay, back, minutes, business, deal, gulati, design, jewelry, wait, threaten, broke, fix, told, problem, store, onyx, husband, ring, nasty, clerk, lawyer, police, people, crazed, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.