Just came from the Xfinity Store ...

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Veteran member
Default Just came from the Xfinity Store ...

... to deal with moving our Internet/cable service to our new house. We also need a cable outlet installed in the master and they told us to call an electrician, as they no longer install outlets. Since when? Is that just a Florida thing (too hot to work in attics?) or all over? Just curious.

kathy
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

This is just the beginning. Think your entire deal over and consider what you will face with them in the future if they disappoint you out of the gate.

Something to consider. Get Xfinity for internet only.

Consider Direct or Streaming on a Roku. Its the greatest with streaming. If I can hook up streaming anyone can do it. My wife Loves it. That says it all.

Sorry for your trouble. Good Luck.

Your deal is like going to a Florist and they say we don't sell Roses. No extra connections in other rooms. Just terrible. Comcast is just a necessary evil for us.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
This is just the beginning. Think your entire deal over and consider what you will face with them in the future if they disappoint you out of the gate.

Something to consider. Get Xfinity for internet only.

Consider Direct or Streaming on a Roku. Its the greatest with streaming. If I can hook up streaming anyone can do it. My wife Loves it. That says it all.
When we moved into our current house last Fall I arranged our service a month ahead of time from up north. Next day I get a call from our agent, telling me that Comcast had just turned off the sellers' service! They were kind of annoyed, to put it mildly.

Our big issue is that we are a multiple TiVo family. I have used Tivo for almost 20 years and will not give it up unless the company goes belly up (both because of the financial investment in our equipment AND because the TiVo interface is so superior to what the cable companies offer with their DVRs.)

I am not aware of any way to use a streaming service with TiVo. Yes, you can run some of the streaming apps from within the TiVo interface but I do not believe you can schedule and record network and cable tv shows like you can with Comcast. I would love it if someone could prove me wrong but I don't think I am, unfortunately.

k.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
... to deal with moving our Internet/cable service to our new house. We also need a cable outlet installed in the master and they told us to call an electrician, as they no longer install outlets. Since when? Is that just a Florida thing (too hot to work in attics?) or all over? Just curious.

kathy
Are you saying there is no cable TV outlet in the master bedroom? That would be very unusual. There should be a cable outlet in every bedroom. But, I don't think Xfinity does any in-wall cable installations, and it is not a Florida thing. An electrician would most likely do a better job for a lower price anyway.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I don't know if this would do the trick but YouTube TV....Steaming has unlimited cloud recording. It is $53.00 a month all in and once you have the Roku the free channels you get are unbelievable. If you have Amazon Prime then you get the videos also. We added Netflix and it's more than enough to watch and our recording list is vast.

Google around and check out the future for Tivo. There are many articles.

No monthly equipment rental on YouTube TV and you can share with six other households. I pay for YouTubeTV and our youngest son pays for Netflix. We share each other's accounts. Of course, I get the more expensive account to pay for. At least we have a good laugh about it.

Good Luck to you and .
Old 08-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Are you saying there is no cable TV outlet in the master bedroom? That would be very unusual. There should be a cable outlet in every bedroom. But, I don't think Xfinity does any in-wall cable installations, and it is not a Florida thing. An electrician would most likely do a better job for a lower price anyway.
We have one but it is in the wrong place. (Sellers had their bed against a different wall than we plan to use.) The coax outlet is currently to the right of the arch around the bathroom door. (See circled outlet.) We want it on the left, where there is a niche that fits my tv and cabinet perfectly, either on the back wall or the side of the arch, where the arrows are pointing. (Both homes are customized Lantana models).

k.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Google around and check out the future for Tivo. There are many articles.

Good Luck to you and .
I will use my TiVo's until they become doorstops.

Thanks. We are moving from Calumet Grove to Valle Verde.

k.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

15 years ago Comcast would not install new outlet location.....don't think it is a recent change.
BTW no problems in the 15 years.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
We have one but it is in the wrong place. (Sellers had their bed against a different wall than we plan to use.) The coax outlet is currently to the right of the arch around the bathroom door. (See circled outlet.) We want it on the left, where there is a niche that fits my tv and cabinet perfectly, either on the back wall or the side of the arch, where the arrows are pointing. (Both homes are customized Lantana models).

k.athyhand.com/blogpics/Palermo_master_coax.png[/IMG]
I gave up Comcast in 2008 and I've had Directv for the past 11 years, they have a wireless Genie for the other rooms, so you can put the TV anywhere.

DIRECTV's New Wireless Genie Mini Now Available Nationwide - DIRECTV Insider
Old 08-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Here's a Thought

If you;re planning to have a second ( or third) TV in your master, and you don't have an outlet there, then you can keep comcast cable services, but access xfinity streaming services (for free !) .. I do that in my lanai via ROKU .. not sure but Samsung Smart HUB might work if that is your TV brand. That will still access your cloud based DVR, your save settings etc .. It shows that this is a "beta" version, but its been around for quite a while. No tiling, no downsides from my experience. Tom from Villages Audio told me about this, so kudos to him !
Old 08-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:

k.

The Villages Florida
That will be a difficult installation, if you want the cable to be hidden. Coax cable cannot be bent like regular electric wire. Maybe an electrician can run a new cable from the garage around the exterior of the house. Another option may be to remove a few floor planks and install the cable under the floor. Also, I have found that it is better run the cable directly into the cable box without installing a wall outlet, because it provides a better signal. You may also consider a wireless box from Xfinity. They claim that their wireless box will provide the same function as an X1 cable box, without DVR service, which apparently, you don't need with Tivo. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage

It looks like that is an interior wall so it should be easy to run another coax via the attic. I would think any electrician can do it. Tom at Villagerav.com can also probably do the job.

Quote:

k.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That will be a difficult installation, if you want the cable to be hidden. Coax cable cannot be bent like regular electric wire. Maybe an electrician can run a new cable from the garage around the exterior of the house. Another option may be to remove a few floor planks and install the cable under the floor. Also, I have found that it is better run the cable directly into the cable box without installing a wall outlet, because it provides a better signal. You may also consider a wireless box from Xfinity. They claim that their wireless box will provide the same function as an X1 cable box, without DVR service, which apparently, you don't need with Tivo. Good luck.
That floor went down a week ago. Nobody is messing with it.

Pike's Electric is scheduled to install the outlet. They will drop a line down through the attic. Fingers crossed. (It is costing a lot more than we ever paid for installation of an outlet from Comcast up north, BTW.)

Xfinity's wireless box won't work for us. It would REPLACE my TiVo, not work WITH it. (We don't have any boxes from Comcast. TiVo's require cable cards, which do the job of their boxes. The cards are rented from Comcast, of course.)

None of the streaming solutions are able to replace Xfinity's cable service coming into my TiVo.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

k.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:28 PM

I only use comcast for internet. stream with roku and hulu live. get all the tv I want. I don't know how the tivo works, but f it copies off the tv, I don't see why it still wont work with a streaming service. btw, sign up for starter internet with comcast on the internet its $20/mo. If you have questions call tom AV expert. You can find him on here. I don't have his number handy. Maybe someone else on here can give it to you.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail41 View Post
I don't know how the tivo works, but f it copies off the tv, I don't see why it still wont work with a streaming service. btw, sign up for starter internet with comcast on the internet its $20/mo. If you have questions call tom AV expert. You can find him on here. I don't have his number handy. Maybe someone else on here can give it to you.
We are moving from one village to another. We already have Comcast and we are transferring our service from this house to the new one. We also pay extra for the fastest internet available because my husband needs it for work, so the "starter internet" (which is much slower than what we have) wouldn't work for us.

Most people don't understand how TiVo works. We need cable tv service, not a streaming service, unfortunately. When streaming services were $20 per month that really bothered me. Now that they are about $50, it is less of an issue.

k.
Closed Thread

Tags
outlets, install, electrician, longer, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.