Which king mattress should I buy?

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Are these Tufts & Needle mattresses all the same firmness?

I would definitely get the blunter needle model!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Veteran member

This is likely obvious to everyone except me, but I opted for a pillow top on my current mattress without considering that it makes it impossible to flip. You can only turn it.

The sagging and dents in the pillow top have convinced me it's time for a new one and I'm just going to go through Sam's Club. Free delivery and set-up, plus removal of old mattresses.

I'm not that particular, though, as long as the mattress is firm.

Last edited by queasy27; 06-06-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 PM

We went through three King Mattresses in 15 years. They always sagged after a couple years. These were "top of the line" Mattresses.
I have a lot of Back Issues (that require Injections three times a year) and I must have a firm mattress. Hubby likes a bit more softness on his side. We bought a Sleep Number. We don't read in Bed, so we decided we did not need one that splits and brings the Back up. We both have our own Remote and can adjust the bed as best for us. Mattresses range in price from $1,000 to way beyond. It's like anything else, the more Bells and Whistles you want, the higher the price. We have had our mattress for two years and love it! No sagging anywhere!!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
This is likely obvious to everyone except me, but I opted for a pillow top on my current mattress without considering that it makes it impossible to flip. You can only turn it.

The sagging and dents in the pillow top have convinced me it's time for a new one and I'm just going to go through Sam's Club. Free delivery and set-up, plus removal of old mattresses.

I'm not that particular, though, as long as the mattress is firm.
One of the mattresses we considered was from Hampton Inn Online. When we went to N.J. for Christmas we took another route thru Virginia on Route 81. I couldn't remember the exact town but the lady on the phone named the towns where the Hotels were along Route 81 and we found it and she gave me the Exact Brand and model of the bed. It was a Sealy Tranquility Night 2 Split Box Spring and Double Sided Pillow Top Mattress that blew our Temperpedic out of the water. I swear I considered trying to clip it to the roof of the Hyundai and pull into New Jersey as a mix of The Beverly hillbillies and Sanford & Son.

Anyway, after all the effort this nice person put into helping me I was on the verge of giving her the order and asked about the return policy. DEAL BREAKER. It is constructed when you order it. NO RETURN. Damn. Maybe it's for the best. Their bed was about $1500. Definitely worth that much and more.

The Op eluded to this being tough, NOTHING but 100% accurate. Hope it isn't TUFF and the Wife Gives Me A Needle!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
One of the mattresses we considered was from Hampton Inn Online. When we went to N.J. for Christmas we took another route thru Virginia on Route 81. I couldn't remember the exact town but the lady on the phone named the towns where the Hotels were along Route 81 and we found it and she gave me the Exact Brand and model of the bed. It was a Sealy Tranquility Night 2 Split Box Spring and Double Sided Pillow Top Mattress that blew our Temperpedic out of the water. I swear I considered trying to clip it to the roof of the Hyundai and pull into New Jersey as a mix of The Beverly hillbillies and Sanford & Son.

Anyway, after all the effort this nice person put into helping me I was on the verge of giving her the order and asked about the return policy. DEAL BREAKER. It is constructed when you order it. NO RETURN. Damn. Maybe it's for the best. Their bed was about $1500. Definitely worth that much and more.
We stayed at a hotel recently and the bed was so amazing that I took pics of the mattress label. I was planning to make some calls and see if I could buy the same set. When I read your post I looked at the pics I took and it is the same mattress you tried to buy. I am definitely going to look into it now. Thanks!

kathy
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We stayed at a hotel recently and the bed was so amazing that I took pics of the mattress label. I was planning to make some calls and see if I could buy the same set. When I read your post I looked at the pics I took and it is the same mattress you tried to buy. I am definitely going to look into it now. Thanks!

kathy
When I was speaking with what I thought was the Hampton Inn Bed Store the nice lady told me that the day I called the deal was better if I bought the same bed from The Hilton. Unusual to get someone so helpful but it was a pleasure to find someone who cared so much. I just couldn't take the chance of not being able to return a Dud. It could happen. She said it could be returned for no reason whatsoever. Good Luck, I hope it works out well for you. I'm jealous. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:00 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I almost forgot, 15 or so years ago I bought at Nordstrom a king size Heavenly Bed, the bed used at Westin Hotels. It was quite comfortable and lasted some years. I went and stayed at a Westin before I bought the bed to see how well I slept on it.

My back always tells me when it is time to replace a mattress. Some mattresses have only lasted 3 - 4 years for me before they sagged too much to adequately support my back.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-06-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage

I believe the on-line "bed in a box" memory foam mattress are all pretty similar. They will each try to differentiate themselves from their competitors with different numbers of layers with different thicknesses. I believe the most important feature is the firmness. Most, if not all, have an exchange, or refund policy, if you are not satisfied. We have a middle firmness (out of 5 firmness choices) from Amerisleep with a Leggett and Platt adjustable frame. An adjustable frame, while not inexpensive, is worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Buying a mattress is overwhelming! Any particular store you recommend, or did you buy online? Which is your favorite brand?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage

OK, the bed is actually late by a few days but customer service knocked off $50. The next delivery date was supposed to be 6/15 so they actually beat their estimate.

The bed will be a beast to unbox if you are frail, for a lack of a better term so there is something to be said for White Glove Delivery and Set-Up. In the end, it appears to be a beautiful bed and I was supposed to wait at least 3 hours to wait for it to fully inflate. I made it about 10 minutes and took a little schnoozaroonie. They even included two pillows for free. They feel like the Posturepedic Pillows we bought some years back.

We will let the bed breath for the rest of the day and report back soon. Tuft & Needle Mint Queen $850 after the delay discount.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
OK, the bed is actually late by a few days but customer service knocked off $50. The next delivery date was supposed to be 6/15 so they actually beat their estimate.

The bed will be a beast to unbox if you are frail, for a lack of a better term so there is something to be said for White Glove Delivery and Set-Up. In the end, it appears to be a beautiful bed and I was supposed to wait at least 3 hours to wait for it to fully inflate. I made it about 10 minutes and took a little schnoozaroonie. They even included two pillows for free. They feel like the Posturepedic Pillows we bought some years back.

We will let the bed breath for the rest of the day and report back soon. Tuft & Needle Mint Queen $850 after the delay discount.
Anxiously waiting for the review.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-17-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Anxiously waiting for the review.
We've been sleeping so much I forgot. It turned out great. I was suspicious when you actually see a Queen Bed in a Box, It's A Shock.
The Tuft and Needle Mint is not too hard to unwrap and set up but getting the old Temperpedic outta the house was a real mess.

Once you get it on the box spring just carefully take the first wrapper of plastic off, simple. Next step is the Wrapper that actually holds the bed compressed. After even more carefully removing that layer the bed just goes into shape and we let it sit about 12 hours before using it. There was no plastic smell like someone who reviewed it said and the pillows they threw in are equal to or better than The Posturepedic Pillows.

It is just wonderful. Still, have aches and pains but they are not from the bed. I would highly recommend this make and model. I believe in it so much the old bed was taken away this morning. We still have a while to test it but I hope the test is over. Seem's great. I'd give it 4 out of 5 Stars only because there are no staps on the side to turn or flip the bed. Other than that it's a go and would have gotten 5 Stars.

I really hope that this help someones else out. I'm glad that Mattress shopping is over. That's a terrible thing to endure.

Six months interest-free to.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, mattress, online, favorite, feedback

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.