Old 01-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Default kITCHEN CABINETS- PAINT/REPLACE FRONTS

Recommendations cabinets kitchen//laundry/bathrooms

Replacing front of cabinets or painting

Who do you recommend?
Old 01-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When we bought our masonry CYV in 2011 it had been reduced twice, so the price and location was great. We really bought it sight-unseen over the telephone with our Villages Sales Rep. Once we got into the house, the cabinets were the worse I had ever seen, unfinished maple is what they were called. We had just remodeled our previous kitchen 3 years earlier with white cabinets, and I love looking at white kitchen when I get up in the morning.

By 2013 we had put in a backsplash, plantation shutters and wood floors and the kitchen still looked drab. We had Investment Painters do the interior of our home before we moved in, so I called them. A 10 X 10 kitchen like ours was $1000 for them to repaint. I thought that was worth it rather than try and tackle it myself. I then went to Remington Kitchens in Leesburg who advertised kitchen refacing.

All the doors and drawers were removed and replaced with new ones in white thermofoil with new hand pulls and the base cabinets were covered in white formica and white crown molding was added. Total cost $4800. So we decided to go with the refacing since we planned that this would be our last house.

The kitchen really looked much better and after we replaced the white appliances with stainless steel, I happy with the results.

Here is the original kitchen, the photo is not the best, but you get the idea. Unfortunately Remington Kitchens have since closed since the owner has retired. I have read that Doc's Restorations has been advertising refacing and the prices seemed about the same. They do great work, my neighbor had his whole inside of his villa redone by Doc's.

The Villages Florida

Here it is now, but have since replaced the sink and faucet since this photo.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

New 33" stainless steel sink and sprayer faucet.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-04-2021, 07:04 PM

Beautiful and definitely looks better!
Old 01-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

I would compare replacing the cabinets with new cabinets as part of your pricing options, instead of painting or refacing. It may not be as expensive as you think, and you will get exactly what you want.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I've repainted my kitchen cabinets myself and loved the results. With the right rollers and paint, it's doable. New pulls are a huge help for an updated look.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:48 PM
Gold member

Following
Old 01-05-2021, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would compare replacing the cabinets with new cabinets as part of your pricing options, instead of painting or refacing. It may not be as expensive as you think, and you will get exactly what you want.
It's just as expensive as you might think. In 2008 in my previous home in Baltimore I did just what you suggested, new cabinets. In fact it was a total gut job of the entire first floor of my home. I replaced everything. The kitchen here in TV was 10 x 10, the previous kitchen with photos below was 10 x 15 with 10' island.

They were higher grade cabinets, they all had self closing, no thermofoil but painted shaker cabinets. The hand pulls were longer 12" to 18". I bought the cabinets at a building supply house used by contractors and they were $6600 in 2008. I had to have new granite countertops since I could not reuse the old tops, these were level 1 granite (Santa Cecilia), which is lowest grade at $30 a sf installed, that was about $2500, today level 1 is probably $40 to $45 sf installed

The part I wanted to point out was a comparison in all the prices, repainting by Investment would of been $1,000. The refacing I had done was $4800, photos in the previous post. If I had gone that route here with new higher grade cabinets, hand pulls and granite countertops, it would probably come in about $10,000. Now labor has to be added to that price. I would estimate one day of demo work, two days of installation, then one day for the granite installer with the sink, and then one day of finishing the details. Probably $5,000. Another facet was with refacing I was able to keep my existing backsplash, where new cabinets would required that to be redone as well.

The job below was $21,000 which involved the entire 1000' sf of the first floor. They completely knocked out a wall between the kitchen and dining room, in fact the photo below could not have been taken before because a wall was there. They demolished the entire kitchen and relocated the old cabinets to the garage wall. The A/C ducts to second floor had to rerouted since they were inside the wall that was removed, which require removing the subfloor in the dining room so they could reroute the ducts and build a faux wall on the otherside of the dining room. They redid all the drywall in the kitchen and dining room walls and ceilings and installed recessed lights. Also 1000 sf of wood floors were installed. The entire job took two men fulltime working for five weeks.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
cabinets, kitchen, cabinets-, paint/replace, fronts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.