Kitchen Fan Vent to the outside...

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Default Kitchen Fan Vent to the outside...

We are looking for someone to install a kitchen fan vent to the outside. We have a Begonia, with an "inside" kitchen, (not on outside wall). Unfortunately many Begonia models have just a Microwave recirculating vent. We would like to have it vented to the outside. We will even be willing to remove the Microwave if necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a Begonia with an outside vent, we would also be interested in hearing from them.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
We are looking for someone to install a kitchen fan vent to the outside. We have a Begonia, with an "inside" kitchen, (not on outside wall). Unfortunately many Begonia models have just a Microwave recirculating vent. We would like to have it vented to the outside. We will even be willing to remove the Microwave if necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a Begonia with an outside vent, we would also be interested in hearing from them.
If you go up in the attic you will see an exhaust tube leaving your microwave going thru the roof. Make sure you use the boost button on the microwave and clean the filters on the underside of the microwave.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
If you go up in the attic you will see an exhaust tube leaving your microwave going thru the roof. Make sure you use the boost button on the microwave and clean the filters on the underside of the microwave.
Been there... Done that... Removed Microwave... No vent whatsoever behind, or above, the Microwave. Nothing in the attic... Nothing on roof.

I have not heard of anyone with a Begonia model home, that has an outside vent.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefireguy View Post
Microwaves are generally not vented
Im not familiar with the layout of your kitchen but the important issues on this type addition include...
1) Make sure the fan for your vent is rated to overcome the friction losses in the duct length
2) Grease laden exhaust fumes must be sealed at all joints in the duct to prevent grease deposits from dripping into the attic
3) If the duct is terminated above the roof some grease stains may be visible on light roof shingles
4) Never allow anyone to install an open discharge into the attic due to the obvious fire consequences
This is work for an accomplished HVAC guy unless you are really good at understanding building and fire codes.
Thanks for the insight
Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Platinum member

We had a Begonia in Pennecamp and it was vented outside. I know, because it was making a noise when we first moved in. I called warranty dept. and a repairman from GE came out. Removed the microwave and found some tape and other stuff hitting the fan blades. He cleaned all the gunk out of the way, reinstalled and all was well.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefireguy View Post
Microwaves are generally not vented
Im not familiar with the layout of your kitchen but the important issues on this type addition include...
1) Make sure the fan for your vent is rated to overcome the friction losses in the duct length
2) Grease laden exhaust fumes must be sealed at all joints in the duct to prevent grease deposits from dripping into the attic
3) If the duct is terminated above the roof some grease stains may be visible on light roof shingles
4) Never allow anyone to install an open discharge into the attic due to the obvious fire consequences
This is work for an accomplished HVAC guy unless you are really good at understanding building and fire codes.
Not true.
Mine has an outside vent that was installed when the house was built.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.