Kitchen Redo

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 07:53 AM

Doc’s Restoration did a great job for us. Highly recommend. They didn’t start job until all materials were in house and finished in a timely manner.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:56 AM

As a retired builder from New England, I went looking for a viable contractor for our kitchen remodel several years back. Burns Kitchen and Bath and I worked well together.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:12 AM

Wickham Construction. 352/978-3556
We were very happy with Brent's professionalism and the quality of his work. Brent totally gutted our kitchen and 2 bathrooms. Absolutely love the finished product. Beautiful.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:19 AM

Exquisite Designs Kitchen and Bath. You've probably never heard of them. They redid our bathroom. Gorgeous! Check them out on Google maps and read the reviews. You won't be disappointed with Tony and his crew.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

We bought a manufactured house in Country Club Hills in 2012. In 2014 we went to Lowes and had them go over our design for the kitchen and ordered the cabinets we needed. I then ripped the old kitchen apart, moved the sink and some electrical, hired a local handyman to help me install everything, another local to patch the wallboard and ceiling. Lowes then came back to measure for the countertop and install it later. I also had to replace all the subfloor under the old cabinets.

All in all it came out very nice and I fixed somethings that I'm not a contractor would have bothered with. Yes, it was a lot of work, but worth it.BTW, my wife was back up north while I did all the work .

It doesn't take a "expert" to rip out old cabinets, so why pay them if you can do that yourself?
Old 02-21-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
In the thinking stage of redoing our kitchen or modifying what we have. Any recommendations for a designer/builder/installer?
We are currently in the process of doing the same.
Gingerich -didn’t want our small job. Wants total Reno projects.
Wildwood K&B- after reading the reviews-DON’T.
Doc’s-so far good to work with.
Burns-coming Wednesday for a consultation. Friend used them and said their communication is horrible and you have to stay on them. We were in the showroom the other day and heard a woman chewing them out for just that.

Very frustrating experience. Our cabinets are discontinued and we only want to flatten out the island and change our ‘utility closet pantry’ to a cabinet pantry. Not every remodeler carries what we’ve found we like understand, but do not want to settle. Good luck.
We don’t have any quotes just yet.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

For free estimates go to Lowe's and Home depot get estimates than call a recommended kitchen and bath installion contractor see what they cost be aware Lowe's and Home depot cost the most but are the most reliable people to deal with. Your going to find out the a kitchen new cabinets and solid stone top start at 30K to 60K. That is why when you buy a resale you must figure in these prices, which make a lot of the homes over priced.to buy. Bathrooms remolding start a 25K. joelfmi@aol.com question a retired designer.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:47 AM
Gold member

I wholeheartedly recommend Doc's Restorations. Our kitchen was done by Doc's about four years ago. They assigned a project manager who was always reachable by phone, and always knew the precise status of our project. They did great work, cleaned up nicely every day, and the end product was exactly as contracted. We had one small problem which was fixed immediately with no questions asked. We recently had a soft-closing door hinge fail and drove out to Doc's to see if we could get a replacement. They had a tech at our door in a couple days, with two new hinges for that door, and it was done in about twenty minutes. Great service.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Default kitchen remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
In the thinking stage of redoing our kitchen or modifying what we have. Any recommendations for a designer/builder/installer?
we had our entire kitchen redone during the covid lockdown - had 4 companies give us quotes for the cabinents and Bailey design studio had the best quote and did a fantastic job -- there quote for countertops was very high but they recommended ultimate granite and they had the best prices for cambria quartz and granite we chose the cambria and it is beautiful-- finally for backspash went to trinity tile in ocala - great material and recommended a elite custom tile installers -- kitchen looks fantastic - by the all was done with the money we were planning to use for three trips abroad ----good luck
Old 02-21-2021, 08:55 AM

We used Docs found them to be on time for every aspect of the job, clean, and reliable. Had some issues with the floor product that was taken care of quickly with no issues. Would used them again on any other projects.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Veteran member

I agree, I had a kitchen fire and wanted the same brand of cabinets so I used Burns Woodworking for the cabinets and quartz counter, took down the pony wall and 1 side wall, went to the Cambria warehouse to see a full slab, installed NO seams, 2 watrrfalls. bought sink abd faucet onlineo also plumber said do you want an air switch. Very Pleased with the installation and price.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
For free estimates go to Lowe's and Home depot get estimates than call a recommended kitchen and bath installion contractor see what they cost be aware Lowe's and Home depot cost the most but are the most reliable people to deal with. Your going to find out the a kitchen new cabinets and solid stone top start at 30K to 60K. That is why when you buy a resale you must figure in these prices, which make a lot of the homes over priced.to buy. Bathrooms remolding start a 25K. joelfmi@aol.com question a retired designer.
Re: Lowes and Home Depo
Based on my experience. We bought carpet from Lowes. We had shopped it around.
The people we spoke to elsewhere reminded me of the old jokes about used car salesmen. Our crooked brand carpet compares to sort of sales pitch. Our install crew
they are the best. One is my nephew and yours will be his first job since he completed his PHD in art history.

Our previous home. I asked a person I knew had recently had his roof done who he used. He highly endorsed the company he used. We got a quote that was actually higher than Lowes or Home depo. But, my friend said they were great. so we hired them. The job was terrible. After it was completed, they send you a form. If, you recommend them for a job they send you if I recall it was $500 or $1,000. Not only did I pay too much for a lousy job but, my,"friend," disappeared.

Moral. Good work is not cheap. Cheap work is not good. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:28 AM

I don’t know what your goal is but you might consider changing the color of your cabinets. We just went from brown to an off white. It’s beautiful. We feel we are living in a new house. Use Marr-Corr painting. Call Greg at 352-409-5143. Make sure you get Vance to do your job. Takes a week to complete. You will be happy.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:48 AM

We used Timberwood as well. Very pleased!
Old 02-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Default Kichen redo

We recently had our kitchen redone by Doc's Restoration and I was extremely impressed with the entire operation. They were always on time and pleasant. As mentioned, a little higher than other quotes but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for". Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, modifying, recommendations, redo, redoing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.