How much does a small insertible air conditioner cost to install..

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default How much does a small insertible air conditioner cost to install..

In an enclosed lanai or room addition?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Gold member

I think Mitsubishi has models that attach to the wall and give out air conditioning or heat. Probably there are other manufactures too. Other people on here will know more about them than me. I'm curious too.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

What is an insertible air conditioner? We have a Avallon portable that cools our lanai. It was about $600 which is why we don't have the Mitsubishi. We currently vent through the door but we have contracted to have it vented through the lanai wall (we have wall under the windows).
Old 05-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We have the split, heat and air. Our lanai is 30 x 13 and the unit with installation was $5000.00. We feel it was well worth the money. The room is used 365 days a year.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Sage

If you have a window that one can be inserted into, you can buy a small portable A/C unit for $126 and up at Wallyworld, Lowe's etc. Installation involves opening the window, setting the unit in the opening, supporting the bottom with old magazines, wood, etc or gold bars (ur choice), plug it into the outlet, turn it on, adjust temp as needed. Total DIY cost = AC unit plus support material.

portable air conditioner - Walmart.com

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
If you have a window that one can be inserted into, you can buy a small portable A/C unit for $126 and up at Wallyworld, Lowe's etc. Installation involves opening the window, setting the unit in the opening, supporting the bottom with old magazines, wood, etc or gold bars (ur choice), plug it into the outlet, turn it on, adjust temp as needed. Total DIY cost = AC unit plus support material.

portable air conditioner - Walmart.com

Check your deed restrictions or with ARC if you are thinking of a window air conditioner.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Check your deed restrictions or with ARC if you are thinking of a window air conditioner.
Windows air conditioners are specifically not allowed according to my deed restrictions VCDD #9. BTW there was a prior threat on the installation of the split units in garages and Lanai's....Bottom line if the area is air-conditioned and heated, it is considered living space and is subject to a lot of additional ($$$$) requirements.
Just my humble opinion, but I would ask a lot of questions as the Sumter County office before doing anything.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

we just went through that decision making process getting ready to enclose the lanai with stackable sliding doors.

If heated and cooled it is considered living space, part of the house and will be additional tax.

Additionaly the code for air conditioning requires the floor level of the area being enclosed and air conditioned, must be brought up to the same level as the rest of the house.

These changes went into effect 1/1/2015.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
we just went through that decision making process getting ready to enclose the lanai with stackable sliding doors.

If heated and cooled it is considered living space, part of the house and will be additional tax.

Additionaly the code for air conditioning requires the floor level of the area being enclosed and air conditioned, must be brought up to the same level as the rest of the house.

These changes went into effect 1/1/2015.
I have to disagree. When we enclosed our Lanai I talked to the tax appraiser and he confirmed that the Lanai only becomes living space if you remove the sliding or french doors that connect the house to the Lanai. Leave the doors and you can heat or air condition and it is not considered living space. If you want to confirm, call the County Tax office and ask the question. I talked to Larry. My conversation was in late January.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.