Kool Deck for Lanai floor or around pool

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default Kool Deck for Lanai floor or around pool

Still looking for good options to cover our lanai floor. The lanai is not enclosed and has a roof over part of it and the rest which is an addition, is birdcage.

Does anyone have Kool Deck on their lanai or around the pool? This product does has the color through out and is not applied to the surface. The product keeps the surface of the cement much cooler (claims are 20 degrees cooler)

What is your experience with Kool Deck? Does it need sealing periodically? Is it easy to keep clean?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Have you considered a concrete overlay that looks like stone paving and often used on driveways? It is very thin.

Also, possibly an epoxy coating that they use in garages may cover the concrete cracks.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We have cool-crete around our pool. It never gets hot. We had to have some repair after the 1st year from settling. We had the cracks fixed, power washed, and painted multi-color. It has a nice gloss. Does need to be power washed after a lot of rain.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What is your experience with Kool Deck? Does it need sealing periodically? Is it easy to keep clean?
We had seen Kool Deck in another house and we had it put on our lanai flooring when our house was built 3 years ago.

We love it! It looks great. We have power washed the lanai 3 or 4 times and it cleans easily.

We had a small patio put in front of our house and had Kool Deck put on that patio and our front walkway. Both look very good.

Send us a PM if you want to come see it. We live in Osceola Hills.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We had seen Kool Deck in another house and we had it put on our lanai flooring when our house was built 3 years ago.

We love it! It looks great. We have power washed the lanai 3 or 4 times and it cleans easily.

We had a small patio put in front of our house and had Kool Deck put on that patio and our front walkway. Both look very good.

Send us a PM if you want to come see it. We live in Osceola Hills.
What company did you use to install the Kool Deck?
Does the Kool Deck need to be sealed after a certain amount of time?
Is the Kool Deck slippery when wet, especially with certain footwear such as rubber soled shoes/sneakers?
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Have you considered a concrete overlay that looks like stone paving and often used on driveways? It is very thin.

Also, possibly an epoxy coating that they use in garages may cover the concrete cracks.
Yes, I have considered this application but this does not cover the expansion joints, does it?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
What company did you use to install the Kool Deck?
Does the Kool Deck need to be sealed after a certain amount of time?
Is the Kool Deck slippery when wet, especially with certain footwear such as rubber soled shoes/sneakers?
Thanks.
The Kool Deck on our lanai was put there when our house was built and I assume they used T&D. We used T&D when we had it put on our front patio.

It is not slippery when wet. Before they put it down, they first added some king of rough material.

We never heard about having it sealed.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I have considered this application but this does not cover the expansion joints, does it?
I don't know, but driveways and garages have crack prevention joints, that only cut partially through the concrete slab. I am not sure what you mean by an expansion joint. A real expansion joint goes all the way through the concrete slab, and I have not see expansion joints used in a lanai in The Villages. If you have an expansion joint, you would not want to cover it, except with something flexible like carpet. To me, kool deck does not seem appropriate for a lanai. It is mostly used for a pool apron where people are walking on it with bare feet. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
The Kool Deck on our lanai was put there when our house was built and I assume they used T&D. We used T&D when we had it put on our front patio.

It is not slippery when wet. Before they put it down, they first added some king of rough material.

We never heard about having it sealed.
Thanks for your response. Is the Kool Deck difficult to keep clean?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
........ I am not sure what you mean by an expansion joint. A real expansion joint goes all the way through the concrete slab, and I have not see expansion joints used in a lanai in The Villages.......
The joints on our lanai are crack prevention joints I guess. Expansion joints was not the correct wording. Thank you for correcting me about that.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Another option is installing thin pavers over the existing concrete. We just installed a pool, and went with this as opposed to re-pouring concrete around the pool where they cut it out for piping. Our old finish was concrete with Kool Deck. The thin pavers look absolutely awesome, they are very cool to walk on when it's hot out, absorb rain very well, and have good grip. They have the added advantage in that you can easily replace individual pavers if you damage one or stain one beyond repair

I would definitely look at this - it may be no more cost than the Kool Deck, and you need to re-apply Kool Deck periodically to maintain it's surface. It will cover all expansion joints and will look like an entirely new floor.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
Another option is installing thin pavers over the existing concrete. We just installed a pool, and went with this as opposed to re-pouring concrete around the pool where they cut it out for piping. Our old finish was concrete with Kool Deck. The thin pavers look absolutely awesome, they are very cool to walk on when it's hot out, absorb rain very well, and have good grip. They have the added advantage in that you can easily replace individual pavers if you damage one or stain one beyond repair

I would definitely look at this - it may be no more cost than the Kool Deck, and you need to re-apply Kool Deck periodically to maintain it's surface. It will cover all expansion joints and will look like an entirely new floor.
I guess I should get an estimate. We will be using Paradise Pavers for our driveway when the lanai project is completed. Maybe we should look into this. Hmmm.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-23-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage

Irvalley....

Just made and appointment with Paradise Pavers. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:11 PM

Our house had Kool Deck applied by T&D during construction. Even on the hottest days, you can walk barefoot on the concrete. NICE!

While we like it, after 5 years in the Florida sun, the Kool Deck is beginning to fade and look a little shabby in spots.

It appears to be some kind of flexible floor covering, kind of like a rubberized paint. We have a couple nickel-sized small spots that peeled off and you can feel the flexibility when you push on the edges of the hole.

We had some concrete cracks repaired and re-painted with the leftover paint -- the color and texture of the repaired area really never matched well.

We called T&D to ask about re-doing the lanai to keep it looking sharp, but they said while they do new applications, they no longer resurface areas already covered by Kool Deck. The person I spoke with didn't know or wouldn't provide the reasons behind their position.

I'm *guessing* that Kool Deck needs to be ground off before you can recover the concrete. That would be a messy, expensive proposition. I emphasize that I'm guessing as I have yet finish researching how to replace/recover ours...
Old 10-25-2019, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

You're welcome! If you would like to stop by and see the finished product let me know via a PM.

[IMG]The Villages Florida[/IMG]

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, kool, deck, floor, cooler

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.