Kool Deck for Lanai floor or around pool

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLEPEU View Post
Our house had Kool Deck applied by T&D during construction. Even on the hottest days, you can walk barefoot on the concrete. NICE!

While we like it, after 5 years in the Florida sun, the Kool Deck is beginning to fade and look a little shabby in spots.

It appears to be some kind of flexible floor covering, kind of like a rubberized paint. We have a couple nickel-sized small spots that peeled off and you can feel the flexibility when you push on the edges of the hole.

We had some concrete cracks repaired and re-painted with the leftover paint -- the color and texture of the repaired area really never matched well.

We called T&D to ask about re-doing the lanai to keep it looking sharp, but they said while they do new applications, they no longer resurface areas already covered by Kool Deck. The person I spoke with didn't know or wouldn't provide the reasons behind their position.

I'm *guessing* that Kool Deck needs to be ground off before you can recover the concrete. That would be a messy, expensive proposition. I emphasize that I'm guessing as I have yet finish researching how to replace/recover ours...
Thank you for giving me your experience with Kool Deck. Is the surface easy to keep clean? Not to keen on the fact that your Kool Deck doesn't look so good after only 5 years.

I'm leaning towards thin pavers. I know pavers need maintenance to keep them looking good. The pavers will cover the hairline cracks in the lanai floor and also the controlled cracks. I don't know of any other surface that will get rid of all the cracks, including the controlled cracks with the exception of the Chattahoochee River Rock.

I think I'm eliminating the Chattahoochee River Rock because it is extremely slick with rubber soled shoes/sneakers if wet.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
You're welcome! If you would like to stop by and see the finished product let me know via a PM.

[IMG]The Villages Florida[/IMG]

The Villages Florida
Just lovely. I love the look. We don't have a pool but the pavers would look nice without a pool.

Have you had to have the maintenance done on the pavers yet? I think sand has to be re-applied and a sealer applied. How does that work with the sand in an area that is screened in?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
You're welcome! If you would like to stop by and see the finished product let me know via a PM.

[IMG]The Villages Florida[/IMG]

The Villages Florida
Forgot to thank you for your offer to see your lanai in person. I don't think that is necessary. I've looked at lots of photos on line.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Ours are brand new, so no maintenance yet. We have not opted for sealer as of yet - not sure we want to as that adds periodic maintenance and changes the look of the pavers.

Sand is easy, and you just spread it around and water and sweep it into the cracks. Needs to be done every 3-5 years.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Thank you for giving me your experience with Kool Deck. Is the surface easy to keep clean? Not to keen on the fact that your Kool Deck doesn't look so good after only 5 years.
It cleans up with ease - either a blower or you can power wash it for a deeper cleaning. The surface is textured to avoid being slippery — the downside of that feature is dirt retention. True with any product, though.

We could easily get a few more years out of ours. We just remembered how beautiful it was when new.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Ours are brand new, so no maintenance yet. We have not opted for sealer as of yet - not sure we want to as that adds periodic maintenance and changes the look of the pavers.

Sand is easy, and you just spread it around and water and sweep it into the cracks. Needs to be done every 3-5 years.
Sealer changes the look of the pavers in what way? Does it darken them? I thought the pavers have to be sealed. I'll ask that question when I have the paver estimate in a couple of days.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLEPEU View Post
It cleans up with ease - either a blower or you can power wash it for a deeper cleaning. The surface is textured to avoid being slippery — the downside of that feature is dirt retention. True with any product, though.

We could easily get a few more years out of ours. We just remembered how beautiful it was when new.
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if pavers don't show the dirt as much as the Kool Deck product.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

They have a number of different sealers, but they all will make the pavers look a little glossier (i.e. wet). They have a very wet look, a color enhancer version, a matte version, and a semi gloss. Not sure if we're going to do it.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

When you get your estimate, can you let me know what they want to charge for a sealer (I assume the cost is per sq. ft)?
Old 10-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
They have a number of different sealers, but they all will make the pavers look a little glossier (i.e. wet). They have a very wet look, a color enhancer version, a matte version, and a semi gloss. Not sure if we're going to do it.
My neighbor has pavers on their driveway which have not been maintained. Over the years of no sealing, the pavers have a "washed out" look and they have lost a lot of their color. I've been told that a coat of sealer will bring back the color and the pavers will look like new.

I would imagine you could go as long as you want before having the sealer applied. My personal preference would be a matte look sealer.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
When you get your estimate, can you let me know what they want to charge for a sealer (I assume the cost is per sq. ft)?
Irvalley......I surely will. I will report back on this thread. Thanks for all your input.

Tags
lanai, kool, deck, floor, cooler

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.